Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo build

looking to get a bit more out of my turbo.

Planning on on getting the RiffRaff Billet Compressor wheel 94-03

then I hadn't decided on anything else, but from the little I understand, short of buying a performance turbo, all I can do is a rebuild/reseal kit and compressor wheel?

What kits have you guys used and had work well?

Old 03-19-2017, 12:54 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
I used this
https://www.spturboost.com/collectio...8-gtp38-ford-2

Talked with Clay at Riff Raff and he was working on a 360 kit but didn't have it at the time. Was still working out the metallurgy with his suppliers.

SP kit was good and stock turbo spools fast. Running RR 4/4 wheel and very happy

Edit: I see he now has the 360 kit
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/gtp38-...ild-kit-99-03/

Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
If you're going to suck more air, you also need a bigger straw.

I switched to AIS intake, supposed to be about 50% more airflow than stock.

In addition, more intake = more output. I have a 4" MBRP SS exhaust.

Both of those + a tuner to take advantage of the increased capabilities.

I went with Hyrda for the loadable, switch-on-the-fly, capabilities, with GearHead tunes.

I am currently running a "95 wheel"/original ww-style, which spins up faster than the stock and doesn't suffer from turbo stall. I do have SPTurbo wheel to go in, as the 95 wheel doesn't flow as much and runs out of air on the top end.

Which of these have you done or are planning to do? Each of the areas has multiple options, each with pros and cons

Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 AM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
I used this
https://www.spturboost.com/collectio...8-gtp38-ford-2

Talked with Clay at Riff Raff and he was working on a 360 kit but didn't have it at the time. Was still working out the metallurgy with his suppliers.

SP kit was good and stock turbo spools fast. Running RR 4/4 wheel and very happy

Edit: I see he now has the 360 kit
GTP38 360º Bearing Rebuild Kit - 99-03 - Riffraff Diesel Performance
So that 360 kit is the same as the other kit you got?

Originally Posted by ExPACamper
If you're going to suck more air, you also need a bigger straw.

I switched to AIS intake, supposed to be about 50% more airflow than stock.

In addition, more intake = more output. I have a 4" MBRP SS exhaust.

Both of those + a tuner to take advantage of the increased capabilities.

I went with Hyrda for the loadable, switch-on-the-fly, capabilities, with GearHead tunes.

I am currently running a "95 wheel"/original ww-style, which spins up faster than the stock and doesn't suffer from turbo stall. I do have SPTurbo wheel to go in, as the 95 wheel doesn't flow as much and runs out of air on the top end.

Which of these have you done or are planning to do? Each of the areas has multiple options, each with pros and cons
Currently running 6637 intake system. I'm not sure what size my exhaust is but it is free flow/straight piped. Planning to get duals on in a week or so then I will measure it.

I ak planning on getting my old tuners sold and getting the Hydra, probably in a week or so

Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
If you want more out of a stock turbo look into deleting the EBP flap, add a billet wheel (SPX wheel is great in spool time and egt reduction) rebuild with the 360° kit, and do the 6637 MOD if you don't like turbo noise add an S&B AIS it outflows the OEM AIS. If you tow a 1.0 exhaust housing will be a good upgrade along with a ported compressor housing, if you don't tow you will be dissapointed as it takes longer to spool up.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm just running a WW2 wheel, with a factory rebuild with a EBP delete and the 6637 air filter. Have a over boost regulator installed too, with that, a 4 inch strait pipe, and some Wildman tunes, I can build 40 lbs of boost fairly easy it seems. 30-35lbs are easy in the tow tune, and in the stock tune, it'll build 30-32lbs.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
If you want more out of a stock turbo look into deleting the EBP flap, add a billet wheel (SPX wheel is great in spool time and egt reduction) rebuild with the 360° kit, and do the 6637 MOD if you don't like turbo noise add an S&B AIS it outflows the OEM AIS. If you tow a 1.0 exhaust housing will be a good upgrade along with a ported compressor housing, if you don't tow you will be dissapointed as it takes longer to spool up.
I may already have the EBP delete, Ill have to check. I know the tubing is disconnected at the sensor. What do you mean by "1.0 exhaust housing"?

Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I'm just running a WW2 wheel, with a factory rebuild with a EBP delete and the 6637 air filter. Have a over boost regulator installed too, with that, a 4 inch strait pipe, and some Wildman tunes, I can build 40 lbs of boost fairly easy it seems. 30-35lbs are easy in the tow tune, and in the stock tune, it'll build 30-32lbs.
What overboost regulator do you have?

I have 3 inch exhaust coming off of the turbo/headers. Planning to up it to 5inch after the first hanger.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:27 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
Originally Posted by P4IN COMM4NDO
I may already have the EBP delete, Ill have to check. I know the tubing is disconnected at the sensor. What do you mean by "1.0 exhaust housing"?

I have 3 inch exhaust coming off of the turbo/headers. Planning to up it to 5inch after the first hanger.
The flap that goes inside the turbo before down pipe. As for the 1.0 exhaust housing I'm referring to the exhaust turbine housing where the exhaust passes and spools the turbo check banks and I think riffraff also sells them.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
What do you mean by "1.0 exhaust housing"?

That 1.0 is the aspect ratio (AR) of your turbo exhaust housing. I can't explain it it's a ratio of dimensions within the housing. My van turbo is something like a 1.15 AR and stock for our trucks is under 1.0 (I believe) but I don't recall what it is.

What do you expect to gain from adding a 5" pipe to the back of your down pipe? Your flow will never be more than what the smallest diameter allows so you will gain nothing by doing that. If you want to do anything with that I'd recommend 4" from the turbo all the way back, that will allow more air to flow. Additionally, unless you went with yuuuuugge power that 5" will be a waste even if you started at the turbo with it.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

I made my own with a harbor freight pressure regulator. That and some hose, and it's good to go. Even mounted it to the MAP sensor bracket.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
That 1.0 is the aspect ratio (AR) of your turbo exhaust housing. I can't explain it it's a ratio of dimensions within the housing. My van turbo is something like a 1.15 AR and stock for our trucks is under 1.0 (I believe) but I don't recall what it is.

What do you expect to gain from adding a 5" pipe to the back of your down pipe? Your flow will never be more than what the smallest diameter allows so you will gain nothing by doing that. If you want to do anything with that I'd recommend 4" from the turbo all the way back, that will allow more air to flow. Additionally, unless you went with yuuuuugge power that 5" will be a waste even if you started at the turbo with it.
I think I kinda understand what you are saying

As far as 5", thats what my inlets measured on my tips, it was late last night when I was drawing my plans up, guess I wasnt thinking about that, I could just use an adapter to bump up from 3" to 5" right before the tips. But Im also now looking at downpipes, so we will see what I end up with there, I may end up staying with the 3" or bump up to 4", then just adapt to where I need to be at the tips. . . thanks for catchin that for me

Originally Posted by hav24wheel
I made my own with a harbor freight pressure regulator. That and some hose, and it's good to go. Even mounted it to the MAP sensor bracket.
Wow, well done sir! What is the point of an overboost regulator? Just from hearing the name its a dump off to keep the turbo from exploding if it generates more boost than it can handle??? Probably way off but just for funzies. . .

I got a 360 kit and the comp wheel in the cart, just gotta decide if Im getting anything else with all that

Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I went down that road, figuring out 3" 4" 5" exhaust, etc.

Bottom line was on our trucks 4 inch from the turbo-back was the most opened up and good at evacuating the exhaust.

Although I don't recall all the discussion and reasoning, I was quite satisfied with what was shared. It's all in the archives, *I* just don't have enough "RAM" to recall it offhand, LOL.

I chose the 4" MBRP SS, but not the 304 (except for the tip). No need to pay for "expensive chrome" just for the iguanas to look at under the truck

Between the 4" turbo back exhaust and replacing the stock wheel and AIS intake, there was plenty of reserve power opened up for the tuner to grab...if that's your goal

Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
RAM haha, I get it. I laughed. Well played.

I can go with a 4" downpipe and fabricate the rest right?

Yeah, not looking to make a drag racer out of it, but Im 18, and heck I want some power! haha, going to be ordering a Hydra this week, so between whatever I do with the exhaust and turbo should have some good pull to it.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Wow, well done sir! What is the point of an overboost regulator? Just from hearing the name its a dump off to keep the turbo from exploding if it generates more boost than it can handle??? Probably way off but just for funzies. . .

I got a 360 kit and the comp wheel in the cart, just gotta decide if Im getting anything else with all that
It's to let the turbo build more boost without the computer defueling the motor. So if you have one, and let the turbo build too much boost it could be a bad deal.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Okay, since you are young and likely to play (we've all been there...though some of us drove Brontosaurus, not Broncos as kids)

Install Gauges. Install EGT Gauges and watch them!

Install Fuel pressure gauges

Install transmission temp gauge, if you can't get it via Torque Pro.

Install Torque Pro and OBD adapter

Take care of her and she'll last...up to a point. Don't...and you'd better be sure to wear a good pair of sneakers, LOL.

Look at the links in Tugly's signature. I think it used to be called Chip Chasers or something like that. Stresses and outlines many of the ways to get your truck as close to 100% in STOCK mode before trying to enhance it. Really does make a big difference.

Wow, 30-35lbs is a LOT of boost on a stock turbo! I thought they started to get really inefficient (and HOT) above 30psi?

Quick Reply: Turbo build