First hookup with 5th wheel and Andersen hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:40 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
First hookup with 5th wheel and Andersen hitch

We upgraded from a TT to this Rockwood 5th recently and I got it hooked up for the first time last week after having installed Reese bed rails and re-installing the airlift 5000 bags over the bed rail kit.

I have 7" from the bed rail to the trailer. No clearance issues with the kingpin and the bed. The kingpin is a reese revolution/sidewinder but that feature will remain locked out as it won't work with the anderson hitch nor is it needed as it turns out.

With the Anderson hitch in the "shortbed" position meaning the ball is rear of the axle centerline about 6 inches, there is ample room to turn very tight. Tight enough to scrub the front axle hard and push the tire nearly sideways which doesn't seem all that necessary or healthy for the components.

The truck squats less even thought this trailer is 2K lbs heavier. It settled about 1.5" which puts it about .25-.5" lower rear than front. I expect instead of the usual 80psi air bag pressure, 20 or 30 will do.

The trailer sits about 1.5-2" nose high this way measuring from the frame to the ground. Granted, where I measured is NOT a perfectly flat place so this is approximate. Is this amount of nose high going to be OK? The trailer has torqueflex axles if that matters. Couple pics:

Old 02-18-2017, 10:31 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
I would drop the nose that 1.5 -2" to level the RV. I think that would drop the front a little more out of the air-stream to make the tow just that more easier. Might even gain you a MPG or so?

Old 02-18-2017, 11:30 AM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The truck wont mind towing slightly nose up - I have a leveling kit on the front of mine, and run at about the same attitude. It probably does affect mileage, but no (tracking, braking, etc) performance issues.

you guys are selling me on the Anderson hitch tho.....

Old 02-18-2017, 05:03 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Lowering isn't going to be easy to accomplish unfortunately. The hitch is in the lowest setting and the kingpin is in it's highest already. The alternate is to get a regular 5th wheel hitch that starts at 14" and use the sidewinder feature of the kinpin. The drawback is that the Anderson is only 45lbs and any conventional 5th wheel hitch is much heavier and more trouble to hookup and less maneuverable, requires grease etc. Other than wind resistance (which I'm not concerned about) is there a problem running the trailer this way as seen in the picture?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:49 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Nice set up. Look forward to your thoughts on the Anderson as time goes by.

It is a little nose high but not real bad.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Thanks! The test pull went fine and I do like the Andersen in how positive/easy it is to hook up. No question as to whether or not it is. On the short test drive it was a quiet smooth pull.

If anything, I may lower the truck the 1" or so to get it very close. My truck was lifted by the original owner about 3" via leaves front and rear (I'm the 2nd owner) and I've already removed 3/4" from the front spring pack so I'm thinking I may remove another 1" all the way around and that should get it quite level. I will find a very level area to take accurate measurements when everything is fully loaded before taking this step, but I'm all for it as the these are the largest tires I'll be running (285/70/17).

Old 02-19-2017, 07:21 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
It looks like they changed the funnel design or material, the one I tried was steel and the few times I hitched, it would shave off some of the aluminum ball.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:33 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
The material on the one I have is a tough plastic, seems about like roto-molded cooler material.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

If it pulls good the way it is, I wouldn't worry too much about it! It ain't THAT high!

Old 02-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thank You,

now I understand How the Andersen is different and how it works...

the pyramid and the adapter... Got it.. your photo's were very helpful.

learning 5th wheel..
may replace my TT for a toy Hauler 5th wheel.. LEARNING STUFF,,

Old 02-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Looking good brother, I would just roll with it. Glad I could help you out and things went well.

Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
Thank You,

now I understand How the Andersen is different and how it works...

the pyramid and the adapter... Got it.. your photo's were very helpful.

learning 5th wheel..
may replace my TT for a toy Hauler 5th wheel.. LEARNING STUFF,,
We recentlywent from a 10k lbs travel trailer to a 12k lbs 5th wheel and there is no comparison. The hype is real about the differencesame in towing.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sous
Looking good brother, I would just roll with it. Glad I could help you out and things went well.

We recentlywent from a 10k lbs travel trailer to a 12k lbs 5th wheel and there is no comparison. The hype is real about the differencesame in towing.
I was trying to decide on What 5th wheel hitch..

I could not understand the Andersen.. NO shoe... just a ball .. had me confused.
I did not understand the adapter till I seen it mounted

but hitching up looks almost like a standard trailer hookup.. just in the bed.

Thanks Again.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford

but hitching up looks almost like a standard trailer hookup.. just in the bed.
You got it right there. I was showing another camper out Anderson yesterday and told him that even if I forgot to push in the "locking pin", as long as there was gravity on planet Earth, it was going to stay on the hitch. There is no question of "is the trailer secured" or "will my trailer fall this time"?

We find the Anderson is a fast, secure and lightweight way to move our trailer from place to place as we travel the country.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

I have forgotten ONCE to lock the pin in the travel position - drove about 150 miles to our destination - when I saw what I did. But!!! Gravity is surely OK, but I have hit some BAD roads that I fear would bounce the truck/RV enough to possibly lift the pin off the ball. I would suggest that everyone have the locking as part of your check list prior to moving towards the road!

Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
I always padlock my travel trailer hitch hookup.. every trailer I ever owned..

Quick Reply: First hookup with 5th wheel and Andersen hitch