2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Quad Beam Halogen to LED

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 03:51 PM
jteamtowing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad Beam Halogen to LED

Hey guys,

I just bought 2 2017 F-550s with a lariat package (as loaded as they would let me). I really want the factory LED headlights, however Ford does not allow it from the factory. Could I get ford OEM LED headlight assemblys and swap them out? Will they work???

Anyone know?????

Thank you for any information you might have on this topic.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:06 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
This seems to be the $64k question on the forum recently. There are a lot of people interested in doing this. The OEM headlamp housings are available online already for about $1900 for a set. However, the ad states additional hardware is required and the lights will only work on trucks already equipped with LEDs.

So in short, I don't believe anyone has done it yet but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:10 PM
jteamtowing
New User
That is what I've seen as well. Im curious as to what additional hardware I need.... I also wonder if the halogen headlights have 1 master plug or separate plugs for each bulb.... I haven't taken delivery of the truck yet so I can't pull it to see. Ford is usually pretty good with the wiring harnesses making options that the trucks didnt have available with plug and play ability to add.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:14 PM
troverman
Hotshot
The claim from Fairway Ford is the lights need additional ballasts. Personally I can't see LED lights needing ballasts like an HID light but who knows.

I'm not sure the wiring would all cross over. The LED headlights do not have amber parking lamps in them...instead they have configurable LED DRL lights. The signal driver for the turn signals may be different as well.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:37 PM
jteamtowing
New User
Leds do not need ballasts. They're all part of the bulb... and like I said ford main streams the wiring harnesses ect because it's cheaper to have one sku and add things then to make different skus for each set of options..... if I could get my hands on the regular halogen headlights to see the plug I could probably figure it out. I plan to call them tuesday and ask.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:09 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It looks to me little the whole light assembly including LED DRLs, the turn signals, flashers, is all one housing. I am sure this will "bolt in". The skill testing issue is the wiring harnesses for high, low beam, DRLs, and amber turn and flashers.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:58 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mhoefer
It looks to me little the whole light assembly including LED DRLs, the turn signals, flashers, is all one housing. I am sure this will "bolt in". The skill testing issue is the wiring harnesses for high, low beam, DRLs, and amber turn and flashers.
Correct. It is certainly all one unit. And TowTeam might be right...could be plug and play...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

A few examples: on the old truck, you could install the auto climate control head unit in place of the manual controls. It plugged right in, lit up, and partially worked. It did not have the second blend doors installed or the cabin temp sensor.

Likewise, you could bolt in heated and cooled seats...but the wiring harnesses were wrong.

So maybe, but maybe not.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:06 PM
jteamtowing
New User
Talked to ford

So I talked to Ford today and we spelled everything out. These trucks will be just like the f150s, we have to wait until an aftermarket harness adaptor is available. The F150s have the same thing, its only a matter of time until they do it for the super duty too. Until then there is no way to do it. hopefully sooner than later.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:47 PM
kammrk
Freshman User
please advise if someone out there has a way to do this if it can be done for the F150's then hopefully the new F250's should be able to get done also.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Kalin1mj
New User
Looking at the both the plugs from the F150 Quad Beam and the F250 quad Beam they use the same connector. So I find it logical that maby one could just use the Wiring harness for the F150 on the F250 and be good to go. I tried reaching out to the guy on Home - Raptor Retrofit - Ford F150 HID headlights. He builds and sells a conversion harness for the f150. As soon as we can get a solution im pulling the trigger on the lights. Its BS to only include it in a package. Its a safety item.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Ryan Kovacs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jteamtowing
So I talked to Ford today and we spelled everything out. These trucks will be just like the f150s, we have to wait until an aftermarket harness adaptor is available. The F150s have the same thing, its only a matter of time until they do it for the super duty too. Until then there is no way to do it. hopefully sooner than later.
so you're saying it will be as simple as a harness adapter and the headlight assembly?

Old 12-27-2016, 11:05 PM
kammrk
Freshman User
Man lets hope so! please keep the info coming, thanks.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:03 AM
troverman
Hotshot
One thought is the DRL / parking light difference between the halogens and LEDs.

On Halogen trucks, there is an amber parking light in the middle of the housing, which also is the turn signal. When you hit unlock on the remote, the turn signal blinks and then the lower wattage filament stays on as the parking lamp.

On the LED trucks, the turn signal is in the same location but is LED and does not function as a parking lamp. There is no forward-facing parking lamp; rather, the LED C-Clamp DRL takes that function. Indeed, the C-clamp illuminates when you hit unlock and the turn signal blinks.

But on the halogen trucks, the DRL is the headlight bulb on low beam as soon as you put the truck in drive. So one potential problem is the halogen harness giving power to the headlight function when the lights are off and truck is put into gear...but without powering the C-Clamp DRL.

If a harness can divert power to the C-Clamp DRL when the truck is put into gear, it will also illuminate all the "parking lights" on the truck, including mirror lights, roof lights, tail lights, and plate lights. That would probably not be desirable. The LED trucks have programming to send power "only to the c-clamps" and nowhere else; the halogen trucks do not have that programming (or potentially harness).

Finally, the C-clamps seem to have two levels of brightness - headlights off, DRL function, or headlights on / night function...not as bright. The halogen trucks do not have this programming.

Also, the LED trucks have a "DRL Settings" screen in the dash message center than can change the function...and I don't believe the halogen trucks have that.

Bear in mind the F-150 is not identical in its lighting setup compared to the Super Duty. There are no "c-clamp" DRL's, rather, the low-beam LED headlight is what turns on. The orange outline does not turn on for DRL function, only when the headlights are actually on at night. Thus, the F-150 adapter harness is not going to work on the Super Duty.

The F-150 also does not offer LED fog lights at all, not that they are part of the headlight function.

I realize the headlight cluster is the big thing, but keep in mind the LED light package includes *every* exterior light on the Super Duty: headlights, tail lights, fog lights, brake lights, front and rear turn signals, plate lights, marker lights, etc. So you shouldn't compare pricing of the OEM headlight clusters to the option price on the truck. You will always pay more to install later.

That said, I'm rooting for you guys...hopefully there is some way to make it work. The new halogens are much better than before, but the LEDs are a tad better than them, and they update the look of the truck.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:56 AM
dh1200
Senior User
[QUOTE=Kalin1mj;16822948]Looking at the both the plugs from the F150 Quad Beam and the F250 quad Beam they use the same connector. So I find it logical that maby one could just use the Wiring harness for the F150 on the F250 and be good to go. I tried reaching out to the guy on Home - Raptor Retrofit - Ford F150 HID headlights. He builds and sells a conversion harness for the f150. As soon as we can get a solution im pulling the trigger on the lights. Its BS to only include it in a package. Its a safety item.[/Q

Ive been trying to find this out for the last 6 months about using the f150 harness. Raptor Retrofit never got back with me after emailing them a couple times.
Troverman made a good point tho, the c lights drl on the f250 probably wont come on with the f150 harness, since the harness thinks its on a f150 which isnt programmed for the amber outline stip to run while driving. Of course, im sure there are ways to rig it to where they do. Im sure someone will make a harness specific to the SD eventually. I also agree that its crazy that the leds dont come standard on a 65k - 70k truck, regardless of packages.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 PM
kammrk
Freshman User
I am totally confused at this point, the "C-clamp" and the DRL? all above me. I want the LED OEM headlight with the halo on board, I watched a you tube video that gave good step by step detail on removing the entire halogen OEM headlight assembly, having to remove the grill upper shroud etc. He replaced the halogen bulbs with aftermarket LED bulbs looked great. I was wondering can't I just use those same bulbs he used and put them in the OEM LED headlight assembly? or am I going to have to replace the whole wiring harness to get this done, what kind of money might I be looking at just for the wiring harness/parts. Or can I for now just freakin put the OEM LED headlight assembly on and just use the original halogen bulbs, but will the halo operate if it were possible to do that. I already have the complete OEM LED headlight assembly left/right ready to go, but all at a stand still for now.

Quick Reply: Quad Beam Halogen to LED