6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Pickup won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pickup won't start

So this is the 4th time my truck has not started easy, when ever this has happened it's when my truck has sat for 8hr at work on a flat level surface, when you get in and turn the key over it will crank for the standard crack time (3 sec) and will not start the pickup, first time it happened I tried it 3 times and then the remote start twice. No luck, if you hold the key forward maybe 5 seconds, the truck starts with a blue hue to the exhaust.

45k miles on a 2014 f350

Old 10-25-2016, 07:27 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you are still under the power train warranty...I would get a recorder from the dealer plugged into the OBD port so you can record this event.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Tarster
Tuned
I wish I was still under the original warranty, I am not the original owner for this pickup, I do have the SCT X4 Tuner which can datalog, but someone would have to walk me through what I would need to select to create the collector file.

I passed up the aftermarket warranty because it was only going to be for 30k miles and it was 3200 dollars, I figured on a 2014 pickup with 43k miles... I shouldn't need a darn warranty. Really hope that doesnt bite me hard.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:38 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow I hadn't been on here in awhile and was getting ready to start a thread when I seen this.this is my problem too sort of and here is my story,my son used my truck back in july to pull camper he had stopped at store and got some snacks and when he tried to start the truck it wud crank but not start after about 3 trys it started.no trouble after that at all till august and I had went and picked up our camper at local dealer and was headed home and truck had a hiccup just like it run outta gas for a second then ran fine.drove truck to work some and pulled camper with it and hauled some logs on my gooseneck truck ran perfect.last week took camper on vacation in Tennessee after unhooking camper truck set for about 15mins and when I tried to start and had crank no start condition finally started on third try.the next day we went to cades cove after stopping for picnic lunch truck started fine then died on me twice while driving thru the cove which was a lot of stop and go driving first time it was hard to get started second time it started right up.when I left there I went straight to ford dealer in Sevierville to see what they said the truck never threw on any kind of service light.after hooking it up on diagnostic test the tech said it could be the fuel pump driver control module or the actual fuel pump but could not say for sure but he leaned toward the fpdcm but they didn't have one in stock and they were on backorder.we drove truck rest of the week and returned home Saturday with no problems one of the local dealers here had the fpdcm so I bought one and installed it yesterday.hauled 4 loads of logs today truck ran great I will report back if truck acts up again.seems mine would act up only when truck was hot and had been shut off for a few minutes.i couldn't find much info on fpdcm for superduty but seems like a lot of f150's from 04-09 had problems with them and exhibited symptons like I had.i did not ever notice and exhaust smoke or blue color.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Tarster
Tuned
rkmfordman, Do you recall what the part number was?? or have the invoice, because that sounds very very close to what my pickup is doing, and I had read on some other forums that the one of the electronic fuel modules, normally located above the spare tire can sometimes corrode and then cause an issue close to this to happen.

I have only had it happen when I have been at work and the truck sat for 8hr, like I didn't go get lunch and or go to a offsite meeting.

I know my pickup originally came from Canada so it wouldn't surprise me if something like that module corroded or something along those lines because of salted roads or whatever they might put on their roads compared to Oregon.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:46 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
my truck has 42000 miles and premium care warranty but they still charge me $100 to diagnose truck and it was inconclusive.i called the dealer I bought the truck from new and their service dept wanted to diagnose the problem and get another $100 so I opted to just try the module it was only $27 and easy to change.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 PM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
Mine would not start either. New module fixed it.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
it is located on top of the rail just to the left of the transfer case on mine the f150 was located by the spare hang on and I will get u the part number,

Old 10-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Flatbed Ed, you have an almost identical pickup, do you have the part number of the unit you purchased?

rkmfordman
27$ thats worth just replacing for the heck of it to see if it fixes the problem, I was thinking it would be closer to 100.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:01 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
this is the part number they gave me aa8z-9d370-d this is not the same number as the original part it is showing on backorder almost everywhere but the parts man after doing some looking said ford showed this new number to work and it fit just like the old one and was a better looking part total encased in hard plastic should be weather proff

Old 10-25-2016, 08:03 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
the old module part number listed for $60 the new one was less than half that

Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Originally Posted by rkmfordman
the old module part number listed for $60 the new one was less than half that
Perfect thank you! I will check that out and look at picking one up.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 PM
Flatbed Ed
Tuned
Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarster
Flatbed Ed, you have an almost identical pickup, do you have the part number of the unit you purchased?

rkmfordman
27$ thats worth just replacing for the heck of it to see if it fixes the problem, I was thinking it would be closer to 100.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Alright just ordered the part from my local dealer, will have it by tomorrow at 9am, he said that no one on the west coast had it, closest dealer to oregon was nevada. Will see if I can get that changed this weekend.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Well I got the part installed and the pickup started back up so that's good haha,

The fuel pump module was located on top of the frame next to the transfer case in the drivers side, I had read online and the dealer tools me it was next to the spare tire . . Boy was that off!

While getting to my spare tire I found a problem I didn't know I had . . There was a dumb lock in the spare tire winch. . Boy in glad I didn't find that on a back road or something ! ! I ripped that out so now I can actually remove my spare tire of I needed to .

Quick Reply: Pickup won't start