6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.4L Transmission Filter Upgrade on a 6.0L

Old 09-27-2016, 04:14 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
6.4L Transmission Filter Upgrade on a 6.0L

Shot in HD as are all my vids, view in YouTube and force a 720p view to see better detail.

(Tap the title bar at the top of the video box; at YouTube tap the three vertical dots at the top right; select the quality gear icon; select 720p).

Over at TDS I did pictorials, some of which are in my TMT Facebook page. Now I'm doing vids

Thanks guys.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:40 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice..... once again a quality product, goes to show your true character Jack.

Thank you sir!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,701 Posts
Great video Jack. Very interesting on the amount of particles left on the screen. Thanks for posting!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Randy,

I've got to thank you and Scott for getting me off my tail and doing that upgrade. I've passed those threads for a few years, and then last year Scott's post got me to buy the parts, but I just stored them. I've got a good number of parts like that, for a number of vehicles, motorcycle, etc. The discussion a month ago got it done. Hopefully someone else who is considering it, the vid might get them over the fence.

I'm also glad Pete brought up looking at the filter. I think it's pretty typical to just throw that in the trash. I've done a lot of oil analysis, have one trans fluid analysis, cut apart my coolant filter, and look carefully at the fuel and oil cartridge filters. I would have just looked in the window at the screen.

In hind site, although doing the fluid changes on time, I probably should have pulled the 6.0 on an interval, 60k or 90k changes, and looked into the screen. It would have been beneficial to know the debris level during its life.

Thanks Mark. I know back in time you had also brought up this upgrade.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Jack: what and excellent, excellent job!! I tried to rep ya', but you know how that goes... Thanks for the creds -- it goes around as it comes around

Funny, but before I watched the whole video, I saw the still-frame of the oil being poured in the new pan and I thought: Only Jack would Pre-fill his trans pan

Then I saw that it was to show how much oil is left on a drain and fill. That actually is really good info to know, since I do plan to do those about every 20K miles or so, with a pan drop and new filter at 60K. My initial fill with a new filter on the freshly installed 6.4 pan came right in at 9 qts. So: drain and fills should be about 8qts, and every filter change (or if you are doing the conversion from the old pan/filter to the 6.4 pan/filter), then it's 9qts.

Thanks again for this, and all else you do for your brothers and sisters here and on the other sites you hang out on. Jack YOU ROCK

Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Great video!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:45 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Jack- like others said, great video and narration. This video will be a good reference for years to come.

What do you think about an attempt into improving your warm up cycle or do you consider it not a concern? The only concern I have running it cold (

Old 09-28-2016, 06:27 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Mark, thanks for the complement, but thanks to you for being here and assisting all of us. This video was just putting together all the points that everyone else had.

Pete, if my understanding is correct that the t/s is internal and accessible only with trans removal, it going to stay as is. It's made it this far as is, and in the secondary 38 mile drive at 74F ambient as I'm sure you saw the trans was at 138F. I mentioned I thought it was down to 120F in winter, it may have been much lower but without a sure number I didn't want to go there.

I have to tell you, when I first examined that filter's internals it made me nervous. I couldn't find anyone who had pulled the pan filter open and posted what they looked like. Your point about looking at them was great and why I actually decided to make that video, otherwise it was just another thread or vid that has been done for years on all the forums. It took me some time to calm down saying "it's not that much, it's not that much".

Once again like my other vid it started out way over the 15 minute limit of YouTube so I dropped out a few things, but that's probably a good thing as that was probably as long as anyone really wants to watch. YT seems to limit viewing at 720p which is a shame because my view of the original at 1080p shows better detail of the debris and 6.0 screen. It looks like the link to here brings it up at 360p, direct at YouTube you can force the 720p. I need to edit the first post to note that.

Scott, that's funny. Can you imagine trying to fit up a pan that's filled with fluid! Thanks.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:08 AM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome video Jack.

You have a great voice, I felt like I was watching one of those conspiracy videos on Youtube like this :

Old 09-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
What do you think about an attempt into improving your warm up cycle or do you consider it not a concern? The only concern I have running it cold (
I wouldn't be concerned with it. If I was, my first attempt to get it to warm up faster would be to cover the trans cooler with a piece of cardboard. There is always some flow through the cooler.

Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Pete, if my understanding is correct that the t/s is internal and accessible only with trans removal,
That's correct. The thermostat is in the pump body. The trans has to come out and be partially torn down to get to it.

And what could be done? It's closed until it reaches it's set point, then it opens. There is a circuit that bypasses it with a restricted amount of flow to the coolers. This is what keeps the 10% going to the coolers when the thermostat is closed.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:18 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Brian,

It's been said I have a TV voice, the non-emotional approach while a cheeta attacks a baby gazelle. I think I watched Dragnet too much as a child.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:43 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Jack, imagine how I felt then when I popped mine apart. That's why I warned you. It's a tad scary but you know what, when the time comes I'll deal with it. As of now it's doing everything I ask.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:08 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

That evening I searched and couldn't find anyone else who had pulled the filter apart on any of the diesel forums. Probably the only person here who may have looked at a forensic analysis of the filter with hours served would be Mark.

What we should be doing is setting up a database so anytime someone changes out the filter, either by chance with the 6.0 version, during the filter/pan upgrade, or the scheduled filter changes with the 6.4 is to open them up and take photos. It would just be more comforting to understand what is normal or hopefully catch someone's just before it comes apart. The ones out of a rebuilder are most likely full of debris, but it important to understand what is normal after initial burnish, 50k, 100k, etc. There is always going to be wear, there is always going to friction material wear. Non metallic will go out with the wash (fluid), but if there is metallic fiber reinforcement that will be in the filter or mag ring. Stainless and aluminum won't.

What I had to leave out of the video was using a super magnet and pulling up particles in the filter.

That stock 6.0L filter really is a good filter.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:22 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Old 09-28-2016, 07:28 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

This photo zoomed in shows the fine mesh of the filter well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.4L Transmission Filter Upgrade on a 6.0L