1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2004 Ford Expedition Stalls At High Speed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM
mribbich
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Ford Expedition Stalls At High Speed!!!

I have a 2004 Ford Expedition that at times stalls (motor shuts down) at highway speeds. More than once the engine would shut down and restart by itself and once it stopped all together had to put in neutral at 70 mph and turned the key to restart. This only happens from time to time. What the He-- is going on. Thanks for your help!!!

Marv.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:25 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Dirty fuel filter, failing fuel pump, or crankshaft sensor going bad are your top 3 possibilities.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:53 PM
mribbich
New User
Thanks for the information!!!

Marv.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Mr Eddie
New User
First Steps check to see if you have a check engine light on even if you don't have one on get it checked out. Something similar to this happened to me; I was taking a drive from New York to Boston had to accelerate to pass a vehicle and all of the sudden the car shut off on me I couldn't get it started again, pulled over to the side of the road, I check the trouble code and the crank position sensor was the problem. Went under to check it out and noticed that the release clip on the plug was missing. I plugged it back in made it to where I needed to go soon as I got home I had an extra harness remove the plug from the harness work that out from the one on the truck haven't had a problem since.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:19 PM
mribbich
New User
Would think if the fuel filter or fuel pump was bad or going bad or crankshaft sensor was bad this would happen more often than it has been. Will go and have it scanned to see if any codes are there. Thanks for the help so far!!!

Marv.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:33 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Marv,
Have you made any changes since your last post of 7/22/16?
AND, has it happened since your last post of 7/22/16?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:57 PM
mribbich
New User
No changes since last post and it has not happened since.
marv.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:25 AM
mribbich
New User
Problem has raised its ugly heard again, this time it is happening all the time. This time I left home about two miles down the road the truck just stopped running, I waited a minute or so and it restarted drove 100 feet and it happened again. Waited and again it started drove 60 miles or so no problems. My wife took it a few days later and she had nothing but problems but was able to get home. I changed the fuel filter and took it for a ride 3 to four miles down the road the same problem had to wait to get it started and drove it home. I am thinking something is heating up and than failing once it cools down in a minute or so it lets it restart. When it stops and you try to start it right a way nothing happens, only once you let it sit will it restart. Thanks!!!

Marv.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:40 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by mribbich
I am thinking something is heating up and than failing once it cools down in a minute or so it lets it restart. When it stops and you try to start it right a way nothing happens, only once you let it sit will it restart.
Have you followed through on any suggestions given you so far?

Old 04-22-2017, 05:22 PM
mribbich
New User
Did the fuel filer and the scan. Is there a fuel pump relay on these 2004 Expeditions??????? Thanks!!

Marv.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
What is the fuel pressure when the engine dies?

Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the '04 model year still had the old fuel system, which has a fuel pump relay. These relays are known to overheat and fail. The problem is that they're not easily replaceable as they're soldered into the fuse box as a "non-serviceable" relay. Very foolish from Ford to have any relays soldered at all, but probably a move to sell more fuse boxes... If you go there, they'll tell you it can't be replaced and you need to replace the entire fuse box. If you have some basic technical and soldering skill (or have a friend with such skills), you can remove the fuse box, open it and replace the relay. Some people opt for soldering a pigtail for a relay in there, then run that to an external relay socket so that it's easier to replace it next time.

But before you go down this rabbit hole, make sure you properly diagnose it to find the specific problem you're having. It could also be loose connection on the crankshaft sensor, or a failing one.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:39 AM
mribbich
New User
I did a Google search of Ford fuel pump relays and watched a U-tube video on how to do some checking and replacement of the relay and the fuse panel. The relay can be purchase on Ebay part number is R303. Will post my findings once I get that far. If anyone else has any ideas keep posting here. Thanks to all!!!

Marv.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Don't know for sure, but I've read the fuse panels are obsolete from Ford.
Replacing the panel with a used panel would just put another old used relay in there.
There are people on ebay that repair the panels.
You still need to find out what the fuel pressure is when the engine dies.
Also, monitor the voltage at the inertia switch at the same time.
You can save yourself some work removing a fuse panel when the pump may be the problem.
You do not know if the problem is with the fuel system or a sensor or a wiring issue or ...., but you can easily eliminate the fuel system if the pressure and voltage is correct.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 PM
mribbich
New User
R&T Babich
The problem is I never know just when what ever is happening will is going to happen. What do I need to check fuel pressure and where is this inertia switch?????

Quick Reply: 2004 Ford Expedition Stalls At High Speed!!!