1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Hitch impact on cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Front Hitch impact on cooling?

This is a copy/paste from a thread I started on the V10 forum. I haven't gotten any feedback so I wanted to post here also and hopefully get some good input.

I pulled the trigger on a Draw-Tite brand front hitch for my F350. When the truck camper loaded, and trailer in tow, I wanted an easy way to transport bicycles. Putting them up front seemed the most logical means. And the hitch was just $136 delivered.

I know I have to remove/re-locate the factory fog lights. OK, no big deal there -- that's easy. But I'm wondering if there area others here who have installed the above hitch and can comment on its impact to the cooling of the engine and/or, more importantly, the tranny?

It seems to almost fully block the center intake where the fog lights and license plate mount are located. Is the remaining surface area of the radiators adequate to cool the vehicle, especially in hot conditions? In the summer time, I sometimes have to pull 7-8% grades 5-10 miles in length at 4k rpm when ambient outside temps can reach 100+. I always have the Torque App running on my phone to monitor engine and tranny temps in real time. So I would certainly know when I needed to pull back on the throttle.

I know there's an alternative front hitch design (LINK), but I very much dislike how low it sits. No doubt, I'd run that thing into the dirt/snow in no time flat with the places I take my 4WD. So that one won't work for me personally.

Comments/Feedback/Advice welcome.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:11 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you looked at the offering from Bodiak?

http://www.bodiak.us/

Old 07-18-2016, 03:14 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And to answer your question, I have run both the Bodiak and Reese on my 2006 F250 V10 with no heating issues.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:06 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
I've run a front hitch on all my superduty trucks and never had a heating issue.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:48 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Thanks for the prompt response, guys. Really appreciate it.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Todd Rasmussen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque app, tranny temp

Originally Posted by truckfella
This is a copy/paste from a thread I started on the V10 forum. I haven't gotten any feedback so I wanted to post here also and hopefully get some good input.

I pulled the trigger on a Draw-Tite brand front hitch for my F350. When the truck camper loaded, and trailer in tow, I wanted an easy way to transport bicycles. Putting them up front seemed the most logical means. And the hitch was just $136 delivered.

I know I have to remove/re-locate the factory fog lights. OK, no big deal there -- that's easy. But I'm wondering if there area others here who have installed the above hitch and can comment on its impact to the cooling of the engine and/or, more importantly, the tranny?

It seems to almost fully block the center intake where the fog lights and license plate mount are located. Is the remaining surface area of the radiators adequate to cool the vehicle, especially in hot conditions? In the summer time, I sometimes have to pull 7-8% grades 5-10 miles in length at 4k rpm when ambient outside temps can reach 100+. I always have the Torque App running on my phone to monitor engine and tranny temps in real time. So I would certainly know when I needed to pull back on the throttle.

I know there's an alternative front hitch design (LINK), but I very much dislike how low it sits. No doubt, I'd run that thing into the dirt/snow in no time flat with the places I take my 4WD. So that one won't work for me personally.

I Am running the torque app with the bafix ob2 , on 2002 250 v10, cant figure out how, or maybe it wont run, to show tranny temp?? any help appreciated

Last edited by Todd Rasmussen; 07-31-2016 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2016, 11:58 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

fyi, the hitch designs for 99-05 and 06-10 are different. The earlier ones use 8 bolts to mount to the end of the chasis beams and the later ones use 4 bolts on the ends and 4 bolts on the side of the chasis beams. All manufactures seem to adopt the same design type per given vehicle year.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:10 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Originally Posted by Todd Rasmussen
I Am running the torque app with the bafix ob2 , on 2002 250 v10, cant figure out how, or maybe it wont run, to show tranny temp?? any help appreciated
I know there are 4 different Tranny Fluid Temperature options within Torque on my V10. I don't recall exactly which one I used. I do know that 3 of the 4 were not providing any input. The 4th one does, though.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:20 PM
truckfella
Elder User
The hitch went on much smoother than expected. I thought for sure I'd be spending lots of time with the air ratchet trying to get the bumper bolts loose. But every one of them zipped off in no time. The 3 big bolts for the tow hooks took a bit more time, but I hit them with the blow torch and they came out relatively easy also. I definitely spent more time removing fog lights and taping/zip-tying wiring out of the way than I did removing the bolts.

I will say that seeing the radiator (without the bumper in the way) gave me a real appreciation for the massive cooling capability of the setup. I measured it 23 inches x 29 inches. It is enormous. I took the opportunity to clean bugs and dirt from out of the fins.

I do like the hitch. As expected, it is one stout piece of metal. I'm looking forward to carrying bicycles up front.

Now, where to re-locate fog lights?? Hmmm...

Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Todd Rasmussen
Senior User
I know there are 4 different Tranny Fluid Temperature options within Torque on my V10. I don't recall exactly which one I used. I do know that 3 of the 4 were not providing any input. The 4th one does, though.
thanks ,,will dig deeper

Old 10-16-2016, 05:12 PM
slewis95407
New User
Truckfella

Have you relocated your fog lights yet.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:49 PM
truckfella
Elder User
I have not. But with days getting shorter and shorter now, I might get a little more serious about it.

I'm going to be installing a headlight relay harness very soon which, I've read, does wonders for lighting the roadway vs stock setup. So it is quite possible I won't need to worry about re-installing the fog lights at all.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 AM
truckfella
Elder User
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to come back and follow up.

This past weekend, I took my truck/camper with ATV trailer into the mountains for 4 nights camping. The particular location we chose required us to climb the last 10 or so miles in 1st gear running 10-15mph on a dirt road while climbing from 3500 to 5000 feet elevation. This is the first time we've made this specific trip with my front hitch installed. (we've made many other trips with the hitch but none of those previous trips have required us to climb steeply in 1st gear at relative slow speeds)

Those final 10 miles, my tranny temperature (as monitored with Torque app) climbed as high as 238'F - which is about 10 degrees higher than I've ever previously seen it. And ambient temps were just 85'F. Had temps been closer to 100'F (which is not out of the question for this area), I very likely would've been forced to pull aside and let it cool off.

Engine coolant temperature never got above 205. And the fan never kicked in at all. I figure the front hitch is simply blocking too much air flow to the tranny cooler. So I'll very likely be removing the hitch this week. I won't risk subjecting my tranny to those temps again.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Air goes around the hitch horizontal I have.....no air blocking on mine.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM
truckfella
Elder User
I should also mention that there was a highway pass that I had to cross on my trip, climbing from 2500' to 4500'. And my tranny temperature stayed within historical range while crossing it. The issue seems only limited to slower speeds. Which I guess makes sense.

Quick Reply: Front Hitch impact on cooling?