Slide-In Cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:13 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Slide-In Cost

Am I missing something that makes slide-in's so stupid expensive? Not having 60+' of frame steel, missing two axles, brakes, tires, and literally half the length to insulate, wire and furnish, so why do they cost MORE than 30+' travel trailers?

Example, a Lance short bed slide-in at $31k retail.
2016 Lance 865, Grand Rapids MI - - RVtrader.com

Lance 2295 for $31k:
2016 Lance Lance Travel Trailers 2295, Nipomo CA - - RVtrader.com

Just for another brand for comparison, a 37' Raptor Bullet for $34k:
New 2017 Keystone RV Bullet 335BHS Travel Trailer at PleasureLand RV | Ramsey, MN | #1383-16

Old 07-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Modoc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
One of the things that I noticed about slide ins was that most people going for them are constrained by other needs like an existing horse trailer or boat. I haven't seen any RV/boat combos out there.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:11 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
That should have NOTHiNG to do with the exorbitant cost of the slide-in camper. Those comparisons are ridiculous! It's whatever the traffic will bear.... if people buy them at that price, the manufacturers will surely sell 'em at those prices.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
my guess..

2,000 units per year

40,000 units per year.

I see RV trailers every where, every day .. I see 6 or 7 slide ins a month

I spent 3 1/2 month in South Carolina last winter.... 4 different camp grounds.... I seen a total of 5 slide-ins.
maybe slide-in owners do not like State campgrounds

Old 07-02-2016, 05:09 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Production volume is one factor.

Build quality is another.

Lance has a very good reputation for quality, both slide-ins and trailers, hence they cost more.

Pop

Old 07-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Modoc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Chuck, you are right. I just did not finish my thought out in that my friends who have have slide ins were more than willing to pay the extra for the unit because they had the boat/horse trailer so they could do their rodeo/endurance rides/bass tournaments.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I was told that slide ins are a lot more complicated to build with so many options all in a compact space. I wish they were cheaper. Up here in BC Canada slide ins outnumber travel trailers. Everybody has an old one. Not nearly as many people have the new pricey ones though. Most people will buy the cheaper travel trailer. I need a slide in because I cant get a trailer where I want to go.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:54 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Build quality is a biggie so I am not sure comparing a top of the line to a mid-line is a valid comparison. How about comparing a Lance to an Airstream? Then there is build complexity, which is brought up often by manufacturers of anything small. It is the same with van campers versus class Cs motor homes. In addition, there is an issue of build quantity as it can cost more to build smaller numbers. And there is also the old supply and demand factor.

I did work for dealer who sold a cheaper brand of slide-in and they were hardly flying off the lot and what a "B" to work on. Had a single ceiling light not working one time. Traced the wires. Twelve connections to power that one light.

Steve

Old 07-04-2016, 10:44 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Build quality is a biggie so I am not sure comparing a top of the line to a mid-line is a valid comparison. How about comparing a Lance to an Airstream?
Lance to Lance isn't accurate? And I thought Keystone was considered another good name. Is there a factual-based guide that can help me learn to compare RV quality? Other than reading RV.net until I loose faith in humanity.

I'm almost embarrassed to mention I own a Starcraft because I don't know how to judge quality other than price (and that sucker was a great price), I figured each of the Lance options were towards the bottom range of their respective series. What's the Starcraft equivalent in slide-ins? Because I'm two in a row for doing well with them even if they're Jayco's lower-tier sub, I just need basics because I don't need something to live in 100+ days a year.

Originally Posted by eberlestock
I need a slide in because I cant get a trailer where I want to go.
That's my constraint now, I want to go back to certain places I can't take a trailer but won't/can't sleep on the ground anymore. I don't need a $53,000 Lance 4-season slide-in to replace my house, I want the equivalent of the Starcraft pop-up we used for 10 years. Yeah things broke (we fixed most problems ourselves) and it didn't have house-quality furniture, flooring and counter tops like some of the 5th wheels I've seen, but it held a queen sized mattress, a heater, and a gas stove. I don't need satellite TV, a toilet and shower, or even a microwave. I just want to sleep on a mattress so I can walk the next morning, the kiddos can sleep on the ground in a tent like I used to

Old 07-04-2016, 11:59 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
My point was not to dis anyone's RV of choice. I think Lance is typically regarded a high-end slide-in and I have a worked on a good number of slide-ins that are much less expensive. I just meant to compare top-end to top-end and tossed Airstream out as example.

In terms of justifying cost of any new RV, I can't. They are just very expensive non-essentials that remind me most of the British sports car craze in the late 60s. A whole lot of fun, but reliable? Not the ones I was familiar with, so justifying ownership had to be based on fun factor.

And if you are happy with your Starcraft, not a problem. Same holds true for all brands, models, and types in my book.

Steve

Old 07-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Mr. RV Tech .. you are so Correct on the British sport car craze.. same with British motorcycles...

Fun as long as you could keep them running.. an most of the time they did NOT.

I see the biggest issue.. not RV but in general.. the U.S Dollar has little value.. and YOU need a lot more money to get less.

look at a 1/2 gallon of ice cream... its 1.5 quarts .. not 2 quarts and more money.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck campers are the absolute most expensive RV per foot that exists (with the exception of specialized expedition vehicles like the Earthroamer, or Outfitter).

The reason for that is that people are willing to pay for it, and they are a "miniature self-contained unit", which costs more.

The production runs are much smaller than a regular TT or 5th wheel, and they require more specialized craftsmanship.

That's what I've been told anyway, so I'm just relaying the information from an RV broker in business for 30+ years. That's what I was told.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:15 PM
spudthegreater
Mountain Pass
There are Some very nice used older slide in types , I would consider Lance a Mid level Slide in, North star , ArticFox , Bigfoot would be top end. Bigfoot are like a boat, two piece Fiberglass. Aluminium Frame is preferred no matter what you get , especially used. Otherwise your asking for molded rotted infrastructure . Guaranteed . especially if stored outside. They All leak eventually . The Aluminium frames wont rot out on you when they do though . I bought a used 1998 Fleetwood Elkhorn, thats a low end camper with most of the things youd want, wetbath , 3 way fridge freezer , Furnace , 3 burner stove top with oven, AC unit, hot water heater etc... BUT. ..i knew what i was getting into. This particular unit was purchased new by a retired couple that kept it in a machine shop. so literraly was no leaks or water damage and i knew where to look for water damage. I would NEVER recommend a fleetwood of that vintage used . I bought it for $2500 but to me it was worth it even though every other camper i just mentioned would be superior in everyway to any fleetwood product .

Old 05-12-2018, 06:34 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
So many factors to consider and everyone has it's strengths and weaknesses. Of course that's what makes horse races. I was surprised to find one brand crosses the 100K barrier. While less expensive models may have less wow factor, they can be just as much fun, so there is an entry point for everyone! And boy, maintenance plays a huge part in how long something lasts.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 AM
spudthegreater
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
So many factors to consider and everyone has it's strengths and weaknesses. Of course that's what makes horse races. I was surprised to find one brand crosses the 100K barrier. While less expensive models may have less wow factor, they can be just as much fun, so there is an entry point for everyone! And boy, maintenance plays a huge part in how long something lasts.
thats exactly right re maintenance. Also any of the new models with slide out sides are going to add a LOT of weight. Since there are no industry standards in HOW they are manufactured , you can spend Tons of bucks on something that wont last 15 years. Ive seen pictures of high end truck campers that collapsed under thier own weight because the jacks they used couldn't handle the stress. the metal tubes buckled , thats bs for a 40k rv camper. Ive also seen pics of a camper that got sheared in half and ended up on a beach because a side wind hit it and the side panel seperated because it was a spliced piece of plywood that had bad glue or something of the sort. That too was a New 30-40k Camper . Personally i wouldn't spend that kind of money even if had it on a slide in camper . MAYBE a new Airstream Trailer being they are all Metal and manufactured very well. But never a Camper .

Quick Reply: Slide-In Cost