Sponsored by:

What is the purpose of a riff raff panel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 10:28 PM
norman2012
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the purpose of a riff raff panel replacement

>is there one other than the ability to have more switches and gauges?
What kind of stuff could an excursion owner need 9 switches for? Or 3 for that matter? And gauges? I saw where one x owner put a phone cradle where there normally go two gauges, would a note 5 cradle fit there?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:02 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 386 Likes on 237 Posts
Extra lights are common. High idle switch. Manually engaging the fan to run faster is useful for people that tow and want to get ahead of heat. On board compressor. Electronically locking differentials. Extra battery isolator relay.
There's a bunch of possibilities really.

Not sure on the size. AFAIK riffraff only has the manual panel available right now, the auto one isn't available and when I checked some dealers it's on backorder with no restock information available which sounds to me like they aren't going to make any more.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by norman2012
>is there one other than the ability to have more switches and gauges?
What kind of stuff could an excursion owner need 9 switches for? Or 3 for that matter? And gauges? I saw where one x owner put a phone cradle where there normally go two gauges, would a note 5 cradle fit there?
There is always a need for more switches! I use mine to control more lighting, power inverter, stereo system, and anything else I can think up! Think of it as upfitter switches option for our trucks.

Name:  file_zps1fb73618.jpg
Views: 3263
Size:  119.7 KB

I am also the guy who mounted his phone there. My Wilson universal cradle will fit my iphone 6 plus with room to spare, so if you need a bit more room, no problem. I mounted a cigarette lighter there so I could power the phone.

Name:  IMG_0006_2_zps8b47184f.jpg
Views: 3610
Size:  83.4 KB

Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 AM
norman2012
More Turbo
Originally Posted by seijirou
Extra lights are common. High idle switch. Manually engaging the fan to run faster is useful for people that tow and want to get ahead of heat. On board compressor. Electronically locking differentials. Extra battery isolator relay.
There's a bunch of possibilities really.

Not sure on the size. AFAIK riffraff only has the manual panel available right now, the auto one isn't available and when I checked some dealers it's on backorder with no restock information available which sounds to me like they aren't going to make any more.
that does it!
I'll be a supporting member in a few minutes.
thanks for the ideas

please post when andif you find someone selling automatic panels

Old 06-25-2016, 11:22 AM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
There is always a need for more switches! I use mine to control more lighting, power inverter, stereo system, and anything else I can think up! Think of it as upfitter switches option for our trucks.

I am also the guy who mounted his phone there. My Wilson universal cradle will fit my iphone 6 plus with room to spare, so if you need a bit more room, no problem. I mounted a cigarette lighter there so I could power the phone.

That's actually pretty clean looking. Plus I've been wanting to do the high idle thing for a while just never got around to it. Possibly a new panel in my near future.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:21 PM
norman2012
More Turbo
[QUOTE=Peace2Peep;16380613]There is always a need for more switches! I use mine to control more lighting, power inverter, stereo system, and anything else I can think up! Think of it as upfitter switches option for our trucks.

Your page was the first I found when I got my excursion and started looking up things to modify or add.

Excursion didnt have a stock transmission did it? How did you get an automatic panel? was it from riff raff or junkyard or what?

and thanks for the switch ideas. not only is this my first escursion but first diesel and first truck not a 1/4 ton. Except for a 2wd chevy I inherited a couple years ago that I never looked into modding etc.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by norman2012
Excursion didnt have a stock transmission did it?
Not sure what you're asking here. I'm pretty sure you meant to use a different word other than "stock" because I know you know that Excursions were equipped with transmissions from the factory.

If you're asking if all Excursions came with automatic transmissions then yes, they all came with an auto.

Stewart

Old 06-25-2016, 06:40 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To look cool, why else???

Old 06-25-2016, 06:46 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 386 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Not sure what you're asking here. I'm pretty sure you meant to use a different word other than "stock" because I know you know that Excursions were equipped with transmissions from the factory.

If you're asking if all Excursions came with automatic transmissions then yes, they all came with an auto.

Stewart
I think he meant stick/manual; guessing he's wondering why anybody would run the manual version of the f650 dash "because excursions didn't come with a stick transmission did it?"

Old 06-26-2016, 12:07 AM
norman2012
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart
Thats what I meant. I'm not sure why I typed it like that except maybe because it was on a phone. I just bought a Samsung tab an hour ago so about the size of an iPad and will be typing on it for the most part in the future. So hopefully no more questions like the above

Old 06-26-2016, 12:10 AM
norman2012
More Turbo
Nice write up.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:52 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Twitchs panel looks really good too, he painted his himself and it turned out extremely well.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:57 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by seijirou
I think he meant stick/manual; guessing he's wondering why anybody would run the manual version of the f650 dash "because excursions didn't come with a stick transmission did it?"
Yeah, that dawned on me a few minutes after I posted by phone. I was multi-tasking and helping my Mom with her grocery shopping when I read the post and typed my response really quick. After grabbing a can of green beans for her it dawned on me he probably fat fingered the word.

Stewart

Old 06-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I use the manual version just because I liked the look of it over the auto. I use it for lights and power. I now have the foot adjustment switch in the hole that is on the left.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 AM
norman2012
More Turbo
Originally Posted by agsmv1
To look cool, why else???

thank you I figured that much

Quick Reply: What is the purpose of a riff raff panel replacement