1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Anyone used FORScan on an OBS Powerstroke?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 05:06 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone used FORScan on an OBS Powerstroke?

Hello all. I was trying to use the FORScan software on my 95 F250 but it won't read the PCM. Keeps coming up as a van with a 6.0L engine.

I have used FORScan on my other Fords, so I know it works with my laptop.

I have used Torque Pro and Car Gauge Pro on my 95 so I believe my OBDII adapter should be able to work with FORScan.

Just wanting to see if anyone else has been able to use it on the older 7.3.

Thanks.

Kevin

Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What computer was this, and what was the connection? I tried it once, and FORScan never even found the USB port that the scanner was connected to.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Laptop is a Lenovo T540P and OBDII is a BAFX Bluetooth adapter.

I have tried it with my other laptop (Lenovo T500) in the past and it didn't work either.

The T540P shows it is paired with the BAFX and FORScan tries to talk to the truck, but they just don't seem to work correctly.

Now that I think about it, the other Fords that I have used the FORScan on I use with a different OBDII Bluetooth adapter. It is a Vtech, but IIRC it didn't seem to connect to Torque Pro on the 95 as good as the BAFX. Maybe tomorrow I will try to move the Vtech to the 95 and try it with FORScan.

Thanks.

Kevin

Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
I tried the Vtech OBDII Bluetooth tonight, and same results. Here is a crappy cell phone pic of the message.

Thinks it is a E-series 6.0L 2004 Model.

It takes a long time but when it finally gives back the ready status, it shows that it can find the PCM but is not able to read DTCs.

I guess that either no one here uses FORScan or everyone is avoiding me.

Thank you.

Kevin

Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
It probably has more to do with the obs powerstroke not being a current obdII design.

The only three I know of are
Snap on (specific model scanner)
Torq App and android with BT adapter
Auto Enginuity

Last edited by nateairman; 05-08-2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2016, 08:48 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Originally Posted by nateairman
It probably has more to do with the obs powerstroke not being a current obdII design.

The only three I know of are
Snap on (specific model scanner)
Torq App and android with BT adapter
Auto Enginuity
I was hoping to find a better (cheaper) way to monitor and test the 95.

Thank you for you input.

I had been wondering if anyone else had tried FORScan or if it was just my truck that didn't like the FORScan program. Guess it is just an OBS thing.

Kevin

Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
I am going to revive my own thread.

I bought a USB OBDII dongle to try with my truck and laptop with ForScan. It gave me the same results as before with no connection to the PCM. It still thought I had a 6.0L van. It did error out much quicker though.

I was playing with ForScan on my laptop this last weekend and I noticed that there is a new version of ForScan 2.3.8 beta for windows. I think my old one was 2.3.0 beta.

I downloaded and installed 2.3.8 beta and now it can find my 95 PCM and I can watch some live data on the dashboard.

Also it finds the 96 PCM that I just picked up as a spare and it lets me watch the live data. Funny thing is that the 96 PCM has its original VIN stored in it and the VIN area is blank on the 95 PCM.

I haven't been doing very much with ForScan yet, but if anyone lands here by searching the forums at least it will not be a total dead end thread.

The USB OBDII dongle responds much faster than the Bluetooth version on all vehicles I have tried it on.

Kevin

Old 04-19-2017, 12:34 PM
friskyjake
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
forscan adapter

Sorry if I sound stupid , but what kind or make of a adapter are you using & I,m guessing you hook a usb cable from that adapter to your laptop, is that correct? I have a obdlink MX adapter that I need to hook up wireless which I,m not fond of to my cell phone but that adapter . has no port for plugging into the usb cable so I can,t use that for forscan which I down loaded to my computer. Can someone steer me or direct me so that I can read my codes on my 96 ford f350 powerstroke Please & thankyou Friskyjake

Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just browse over to your favorite purveyor of CCC (cheap Chinese cr@p...), i.e. eBay, Amazon, whatever; enter "USB ELM327" in the search box. Be prepared for a drink out of a fire hose.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 869 Likes on 662 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...sel-truck.html

has scanner link and android app that I use on my 95 F350

Old 04-19-2017, 06:14 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Originally Posted by friskyjake
Sorry if I sound stupid , but what kind or make of a adapter are you using & I,m guessing you hook a usb cable from that adapter to your laptop, is that correct? I have a obdlink MX adapter that I need to hook up wireless which I,m not fond of to my cell phone but that adapter . has no port for plugging into the usb cable so I can,t use that for forscan which I down loaded to my computer. Can someone steer me or direct me so that I can read my codes on my 96 ford f350 powerstroke Please & thankyou Friskyjake
Here is the one I bought this time. I was wanting to see if the MS-CAN switch showed any more features for my other truck. The USB cable is attached to the adapter, no port to plug into.
Amazon Amazon

It appears to read codes with the ForScan software on my laptop. The only code it showed was P0603 which I think is telling me I had the batteries unhooked.

I use Bluetooth adapters with Car Gauge Pro on my android phone to pull codes on the 95. That one you have should work fine with your 96. You can use an android tablet if it has Bluetooth.

I have used my Bluetooth adapter to access the 95 with the ForScan lite app on my phone, but I don't remember if I have tried to pull codes with that app.

Kevin

Old 04-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Chris56ford
lost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FORscan works with OBS Powerstokes now.

I have set up the new FORscan 2.3.8 beta and hooked it up via bluetooth to my OBDLink MX (link) and it works excellent. I have tried a buzz test and CCT and they work great.

This is free software and I'm sure there are several of you that have the OBDLink MX and use it with your Torque Pro app as I do. I have not tried the FORscan Lite app since I use Torque Pro, but looking at the app in the app store, it states you can't do tests etc with the app.

It seems to be an excellent alternative to the expensive AE.