Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Windshield Washer Freeze

Old 01-12-2016, 04:10 PM
rch101us
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Washer Freeze

New 2015 F-150 with 3.5 Eco boost. I'm in Southeast Wisconsin. 9 degrees today. I got rid of my standard -20 fluid and replaced it with -35. Keeps freezing up. I went to the dealer and it warmed up in the shop and began working. Within two blocks from the dealer it was froze again. Anyone else haring a problem here.

Never had this before and in mush colder temps here. Dealer is swamped. Told me to call in the morning and maybe they can order new nozzles...

Old 01-12-2016, 08:42 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
I don't know how the nozzles could be causing this, unless they are atomizing it into such tiny droplets that it's evaporating partly before it hits the windshield.

What I use in real cold temps is the "good" windshield washer fluid, like you have already done, and I add a bottle of "booster" to it. Prestone makes it, although i think I've seen another brand somewhere.
Prestone® Washer Fluid Booster De-Icer Additive | Prestone®

That will at least get you through for a while. Fluid freezing on your windshield isn't safe, as I'm sure you know.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 PM
Bhart89
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Bought a '15 Suoer crew last Friday and it was 14f today. I added the good wiper fluid but nothing is coming out. I can hear the motor running though.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
How can that stuff freeze, if the washer fluid is the correct formulation? The particular truck shouldn't matter a whit. Doesn't make any sense. It's freezing or turning to slush in the reservoir? If there was a slug of the cheap stuff in the hoses and such, that might do it I guess.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:17 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the fluid is freezing then I just don't see the mystery here.

Add methanol to the water until it stops freezing and then purge the lines of the old mix. It is possible that you may need to fill as much as 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank with methanol depending how poor the mix is now. The tank is about 1 gallon total. Syphon or pump (external pump, not the washer pump) the old fluid out to make room.

If the tank is frozen solid then either thaw it indoors, or poor in boiling water and pump out the liquid before it freezes again.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:22 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rch101us
New 2015 F-150 with 3.5 Eco boost. I'm in Southeast Wisconsin. 9 degrees today. I got rid of my standard -20 fluid and replaced it with -35. Keeps freezing up. I went to the dealer and it warmed up in the shop and began working. Within two blocks from the dealer it was froze again. Anyone else haring a problem here.

Never had this before and in mush colder temps here. Dealer is swamped. Told me to call in the morning and maybe they can order new nozzles...
It's freezing in the tank? Nozzles? Windshield? What brand fluid?

Take a sample and stick it in your freezer and see if it freezes,, it shouldn't at normal freezer temperature.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:42 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Windshield Washer Freeze

It's freezing because someone put water into the tank. It is not the fault of the truck.

Thaw and drain the fluid in the tank. Replace with a jug of blue or purple (your choice) -35F fluid.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:47 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Originally Posted by redford
It's freezing because someone put water into the tank. It is not the fault of the truck.

Thaw and drain the fluid in the tank. Replace with a jug of blue or purple (your choice) -35F fluid.
I don't think all these owners but water in the tank. But a easy check is to open the hood and see if the tank is frozen.. I'm still thinking it's rain/snow freezing on the nozzle tips. Easy check for that would be to pour some hot water on the nozzles and then quickly testing if it now works.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:36 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by rmccbride
I don't think all these owners but water in the tank. But a easy check is to open the hood and see if the tank is frozen.. I'm still thinking it's rain/snow freezing on the nozzle tips. Easy check for that would be to pour some hot water on the nozzles and then quickly testing if it now works.
I didn't say where it was freezing or who put water in the tank. Don't make assumptions.

If the proper fluid I'd used, it won't freeze in the tank, hoses or nozzles unless it gets under -30F.

It's -6F in Northern Wisconsin this morning. My washers work fine.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had it happen on several cars (not just Fords believe it or not) where if I was running it and then parked it with a good amount of moisture in the air or on the car. My assumption is that the warm motor allows for water or moisture to get into the ends of the nozzle, then it freezes. Last night we had about 1/2 of snow and this morning the nozzles were frozen.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:44 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Originally Posted by Frantz
I've had it happen on several cars (not just Fords believe it or not) where if I was running it and then parked it with a good amount of moisture in the air or on the car. My assumption is that the warm motor allows for water or moisture to get into the ends of the nozzle, then it freezes. Last night we had about 1/2 of snow and this morning the nozzles were frozen.
This is my point,, over my 58 years of driving in Michigan the only time I have had this happen is right after a rain or wet snow that was followed by freezing temperatures or a dry snow falling on a warm hood then freezing..

Same conditions that a lot of the country is/was having when all these reports started coming in along with all the door problems.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:38 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I've had that problem before. The prestone stuff mentioned above cures the problem.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Originally Posted by redford
I didn't say where it was freezing or who put water in the tank. Don't make assumptions.

If the proper fluid I'd used, it won't freeze in the tank, hoses or nozzles unless it gets under -30F.

It's -6F in Northern Wisconsin this morning. My washers work fine.
You not understanding what is happening.. Windshield fluid evaporates when exposed to air. The fluid that was in the tip of the nozzles is now gone. It rains, rain water gets into the tip, it gets cold, the rain water in the tip freezes. The windshield fluid can't get out of the nozzle. Sun comes out or engine heat melts the frozen rain water problem goes away till next time.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:41 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For some reason I thought the OP said the tank was slushy but I read it again and he didn't mention anything about the tank freezing. Just said "keeps freezing up", whatever that means.

Originally Posted by rmccbride
It rains, rain water gets into the tip, it gets cold, the rain water in the tip freezes. The windshield fluid can't get out of the nozzle.
That's just a tiny little ice cap. I would expect it to melt on contact with the washer fluid, or simply get blown out. The only thing that stops my nozzles is total encapsulation of ice.

Now I have had a nozzle clog up with debris from the tank. I removed the nozzle and used a piece of wire to clean it out. One time I even pulled a piece of string out from inside a nozzle.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 AM
GTT78
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have had a 2016 f150 for 1 month. It was -15 degrees last night here in South Dakota and -35 below windchill. My truck had to sit outside. Started it up and it warmed for about 5 minutes and I had no trouble with the washer fluid. This is the fluid the truck came with. Sprayed out like it was 70 degrees.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Freeze