1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

PATS (Theft) system... Do I REALLY Have to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Mr Matthews
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PATS (Theft) system... Do I REALLY Have to?

1.5 Years ago my wife and I moved to Belize to serve as missionaries. We brought our 2002 2.3L Ford Ranger with us. It was upgraded for the environment here before coming. A few days ago the PATS system receiver failed and everything that I read says that only the Dealer can replace. I now have my baby sitting in the drive with the steering column and receiver removed. BUT...PROBLEM: We cannot ship our truck back to the US, repair, then ship it back here. Logistically and financially impossible. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 11-21-2015, 09:23 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
Don't you have a Ford Dealer there???

Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 AM
Mr Matthews
New User
Yes there is one in Belize City but they do not have access to that replacement part. I would need to get it from the U.S. hopefully without the dealer having to install it. Does anyone know if it can be sent from a dealer without them having to do the installation?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:49 AM
pawpaw
I've not heard of Dealers being restricted on what parts they have access to. Wonder how that Dealer services other PATS problems in the vehicles they sell & service????
Anyway, before you jump through a bunch of hoops, how did you come to determine the PATS receiver is bad & needs to be replaced, they rarely fail????

Old 11-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Mr Matthews
New User
Vehicle shut down on me. Battery, starter, fuses and signal to the Pats receiver all tested good. Will not jump start nor turn over with key. When turning key no sound can be heard but the "theft" light flashes quickly. The scanner showed PATS problem.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:37 PM
pawpaw
Ok, that's good feedback. Good idea to have used a scantool to extract trouble code clues, so it would be a good idea to post All code Number clues you found & what type scantool & software was used.
Not trying to second guess, just trying to think through & determine/vet the trouble shooting & thought process that's led you to believe the transceiver is faulty so you don't buy parts you may not need.
Don't know what your trouble code is, but did you try another key, before removing the PATS transceiver????
If you have an auto tranny & have had any shifting problems, have you examined the TRS, its wiring, or electrical connector, as those items have in the past been reported & found by members to cause some of the same symptoms you've mentioned.
Also reported has been problems with the ECM firewall electrical connector & windshield leaking water onto the ECM, all of which probably belong on your suspect list seeing where your vehicle location now is.
As you may have more than one problem, post up your trouble code Numbers, scan tool type & software it uses to scan the vehicle as all that can give us insight on how deep a scan it can do & how good its clues may be. More thoughts for consideration

Old 11-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Mr Matthews
New User
Its a standard and we did try the second(backup) key. I will have to have my buddy bring his scanner over since I didnt record the codes but it sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the vetting. Will check the EMC connections as well. Give me a day or two to gather info.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:27 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just had this problem, I posted the part number that was replaced by the ford dealer.
I took it first to an independent mechanic suggested by AAA and he pointed me to the dealer.
Problem was fixed but now I'm minus an arm and leg. (hahaha)
Replace with Part Number 1L5Z 15607 AA, cost 59.07

Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 AM
Mr Matthews
New User
Originally Posted by g_k50
I just had this problem, I posted the part number that was replaced by the ford dealer.
I took it first to an independent mechanic suggested by AAA and he pointed me to the dealer.
Problem was fixed but now I'm minus an arm and leg. (hahaha)
Replace with Part Number 1L5Z 15607 AA, cost 59.07
That is the part that I have sitting on my table but my understanding is that it would need to be replaced at the dealership so that keys and computer can all be matched/synced up together. I am still trying to rule out all other possible "less expensive" alternatives before settling down on this part. Today I will be checking relays and a more comprehensive look at my electrical connections. Was it absolutely necessary for your car to go to the dealership? We have found that services here are "deficient".

Old 11-23-2015, 08:04 AM
pawpaw
We still don't know which scan tool you have, nor what code clue Numbers its found, but if you have the low cost ELM scan tool (running FORScan software that's tweaked for Ford products) to the viewing device of your choice as discussed in this thread, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html, have it scan all of the vehicles computers/controllers & post up All trouble code Numbers it finds. The latest versions of FORScan can offer up a rather in depth look at the PATS system & may be able to offer up more code Number clues, so post All code Numbers you now have & any FORScan can find.
If we have at least two keys, we can program more, along with remotes if you have those, following sequence steps in the owner manual that can be down loaded at no cost here Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com if you don't have one.
As I understand it, replacing the PATS transceiver doesn't require reprogramming, but at this point I've not read anything that convinces me its faulty!!!!

EDIT: After reviewing their web site, I agree your Belize City Ford Dealer doesn't favorably impress & makes me wonder if they're a legit Ford Dealer.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:23 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There is something else going on. A 2002 will run with the key out of the switch once started. You should be able to jump the solenoid and get it to start. So I would start checking electrical circuits before doing the pats replacement. The only reason for dealer involvement is to program keys to the new pats module. Some locksmiths can also do this. If indeed the pats has to be replaced. Might talk to a us dealer and see if they can obtain a new pats module and program new keys for it. And ship it to you.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Mr Matthews
New User
ok, the testing unit is a Autel Maxdas with Fords software programed on it. The failure code is B1681 CMDTC PATS Tranceiver Fault.

The Company that represents Ford here charges $600 to supply an extra programmed key. That same key cost $75 U.S.

Everything electrical seems to be fine but an in-debth analysis of the computer has not been done. Fuses, relays, voltage checked. Is there something specific you had in mind wtroger?

Old 11-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Mr Matthews
New User
Originally Posted by wtroger
There is something else going on. A 2002 will run with the key out of the switch once started. You should be able to jump the solenoid and get it to start. So I would start checking electrical circuits before doing the pats replacement. The only reason for dealer involvement is to program keys to the new pats module. Some locksmiths can also do this. If indeed the pats has to be replaced. Might talk to a us dealer and see if they can obtain a new pats module and program new keys for it. And ship it to you.
Everything electrical seems to be fine but an in-debth analysis of the computer has not been done. Fuses, relays, voltage checked. Is there something specific you had in mind wtroger?

Old 11-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Mr Matthews
New User
Additional note: during one of the test we did get a P0232 Fuelpump Secondary Circuit error also.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:43 AM
pawpaw
Some things to look for on the fuel pump code. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0232 also look up a more informative definition for the B1681 PATS code on that site, as it says that no signal received, so that makes me want to suggest looking at the PATS antenna & connections under the plastic trim around where the ignition key goes in, as there have been reports of solder & flex circuit board break problems there.
Also, was/has the battery cable been disconnected with the ignition switch in the On position, just before the blinking PATS light came on???

Quick Reply: PATS (Theft) system... Do I REALLY Have to?