1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project_Little_Red_ build

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project_Little_Red_ build

Hey everyone, I'm new to this form. I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Adam I recently bought a 2000 f250 5.4l after selling my 2001 f350 7.3. Any visual suggestions are welcome.

I have some some ideas in mind for my new truck, 2.5 tuff country leveling kit on 20x10 hostile zombie rims with duratrac tires(summer wheels) stock wheel will go on it the winter since i live in chicago.

Also an 05 -07 front front like this truck, would it be better to leave the oem grill or go with a rivet billet insert in either black or chrome???

Then I a going to get 08+ fully powered mirrors and either paint match the whole mirror or half or possibly even just leave in black.

half black/half red or full red

Last edited by powerstroke72; 05-21-2015 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Change thread title per OP's request
Old 04-07-2015, 07:13 PM
pirahnah3
Post Fiend
Welcome, love the truck ideas.

Personally I dont like the fully or largely body colored mirrors, the top only can look ok in my opinion but hey its your truck, do what you like and like the look of.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Originally Posted by pirahnah3
Welcome, love the truck ideas.

Personally I dont like the fully or largely body colored mirrors, the top only can look ok in my opinion but hey its your truck, do what you like and like the look of.
Thanks! Yea, Im not sure yet, I going to try a plasti dip them when I get them to see how it looks.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What a clean looking 2000. Nice find. Why the switch from the 7.3?

I like your ideas.

I like the cab clearance lights on these trucks so I'd look into adding those. Also consider a new Y pipe and tuner from 5 Star tunes. Then a 3" lift and set of 35's.

Enjoy your new ride! There is a ton of great info here.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
pirahnah3
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Projectlittleredf250
Thanks! Yea, Im not sure yet, I going to try a plasti dip them when I get them to see how it looks.
Plasti dip is great to try things out. Peels off fairly easy too when its new when you need to try something else.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Welcome to the forum! What a clean looking 2000. Nice find. Why the switch from the 7.3

I like your ideas.

I like the cab clearance lights on these trucks so I'd look into adding those. Also consider a new Y pipe and tuner from 5 Star tunes. Then a 3" lift and set of 35's.

Enjoy your new ride! There is a ton of great info here.
Thanks! barely any rust. just some surface rust on the bed rails which I painted with por 15. Bought it from an older gentlemen, well taken care of. I switched because I really didnt need a diesel, it was just more for the fun and I got tried of putting money into it and it was a pain in the a** in the winter if it wasnt plugged in(chicago winters).

Thanks, I appreciate it! Oh I forgot the mention that, I am going to do orange atomic flashing led roof lights. Is there any brand of y pipe that is better or are they all the same? I also have been researching a tuner, from the 5 star I see they have the sct is there any good tunes that I should get???

I haven't been able to find a 3"- what company's have them? I want to do a 4" but $1600 for a lift is to much at least for anytime soon.

I may change my idea of rims to moto metal 962 in chrome, probably a 20x9. with 35"

Thanks Shes great so far! Way different in power from a 7.3 but I dont mind. Maybe in the future Ill go back to a diesel

Old 04-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Plasti dip is great to try things out. Peels off fairly easy too when its new when you need to try something else.
I agree! I used it on my 7.3 to paint the bottom black held up very well to anything, even a heated very strong pressure washer.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 PM
pirahnah3
Post Fiend
My buddy did his exhaust tips and other than a little smell the first few days they look great on his truck now. He does not like chrome which was why he painted them. They have held up fairly well over the past year thou some areas in his truck on the interior where you touch regularly have not fared as well.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
My buddy did his exhaust tips and other than a little smell the first few days they look great on his truck now. He does not like chrome which was why he painted them. They have held up fairly well over the past year thou some areas in his truck on the interior where you touch regularly have not fared as well.
Ahh well thats good then! I like how to comes in different colors. lol I like chrome, but just enough to make it look good and nice, not like it come out of a autozone parts store haha

Old 04-07-2015, 08:18 PM
pirahnah3
Post Fiend
Ahh well thats good then! I like how to comes in different colors. lol I like chrome, but just enough to make it look good and nice, not like it come out of a autozone parts store haha
I do agree that it can look good in small bits and yeah the stick on stuff is not for me. He just plain does not like it so he is all about covering it up. Good luck with the Plasti Dip I plan to use it on my 15 when I get more into deciding what to do with her.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:39 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
Thanks! barely any rust. just some surface rust on the bed rails which I painted with por 15. Bought it from an older gentlemen, well taken care of. I switched because I really didnt need a diesel, it was just more for the fun and I got tried of putting money into it and it was a pain in the a** in the winter if it wasnt plugged in(chicago winters).

Thanks, I appreciate it! Oh I forgot the mention that, I am going to do orange atomic flashing led roof lights. Is there any brand of y pipe that is better or are they all the same? I also have been researching a tuner, from the 5 star I see they have the sct is there any good tunes that I should get???

I haven't been able to find a 3"- what company's have them? I want to do a 4" but $1600 for a lift is to much at least for anytime soon.

I may change my idea of rims to moto metal 962 in chrome, probably a 20x9. with 35"

Thanks Shes great so far! Way different in power from a 7.3 but I dont mind. Maybe in the future Ill go back to a diesel

Just get ahold of 5 Star they can custom write your tunes. You can get a package with 3 tunes and the scan device. They also have the y pipe there. I believe it comes as a kit.

Not sure on the lift. There are several threads on them.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Just get ahold of 5 Star they can custom write your tunes. You can get a package with 3 tunes and the scan device. They also have the y pipe there. I believe it comes as a kit.

Not sure on the lift. There are several threads on them.
I know with newer vehicles the 5 star does great work. For the my year will I only see a difference in power and trans shifting, and not really any change in mpg?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 AM
kengarchow
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i have had 3 SDs and am around 6 guys with them also so i see a fair amount of mods
its interesting how there is certainly some "personal taste" but also universal cool.
i like to lean to the side that appeals to a larger group

in that vein, to me most after market grills have a just don't look right feel. so i would go with the best OEM option which in your truck would be some version of the 05-07 including the bumper and head lights

08 up mirrors are a win win to me both in looks and function, id stick with black to tie with other black features on truck, like door handles and running boards. also a painted mirror lends itself to chipping that doesn't look good

don't over do it on the leveling kit, measure front and back and keep front about 1/2 inch lower. as you get front level or slightly higher it makes truck look like its overloaded with out having any load. also having rear a tad high gives room to have a load and not make truck look like its sagging

wheel wise I'm a fan of OEM 18 and 20's, u get a great quality wheel that usually will not flake , bend or rust. and u can use factory ford caps with correct logos

the 08 up rear bumper and tail gate are also a nice addition

Old 04-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Originally Posted by kengarchow
i have had 3 SDs and am around 6 guys with them also so i see a fair amount of mods
its interesting how there is certainly some "personal taste" but also universal cool.
i like to lean to the side that appeals to a larger group

in that vein, to me most after market grills have a just don't look right feel. so i would go with the best OEM option which in your truck would be some version of the 05-07 including the bumper and head lights

08 up mirrors are a win win to me both in looks and function, id stick with black to tie with other black features on truck, like door handles and running boards. also a painted mirror lends itself to chipping that doesn't look good

don't over do it on the leveling kit, measure front and back and keep front about 1/2 inch lower. as you get front level or slightly higher it makes truck look like its overloaded with out having any load. also having rear a tad high gives room to have a load and not make truck look like its sagging

wheel wise I'm a fan of OEM 18 and 20's, u get a great quality wheel that usually will not flake , bend or rust. and u can use factory ford caps with correct logos

the 08 up rear bumper and tail gate are also a nice addition
I do agree, now that I have looked at more pictures the stock oem 05-07 front end would look better. And you do bring up a good point about the mirror paint chipping, never really thought of that. For the leveling kit, Im thinking about the 2.5 level in the front with 2' add a leaf in the rear. I never tow so I dont have to worry about that, But you do bring up another good point about how the stance looks. Ill have to keep that in mind.

My buddy has the 20" oem rims on his 99, Im not sure about them im 50 50. These are the first set of rims that Im buying, I like the factory look, but i also love the aftermarket rim look. Aftermarket Id have to take off in the summer which isnt a huge deal. But that is something to keep in mind. I love the chrome look on the rims tho. I was thinking about a 08 bumper, but im going to have to wait since around chicago those are about 400-600plus $$.

Thank you for bringing up some good points, Ill for sure think about those when I starting building my truck.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Projectlittleredf250
Senior User
Picked up some 2014 oem mirrors and 05-07 oem headlights

Quick Reply: Project_Little_Red_ build