1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spike for trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
spike for trailer hitch

anyone know of a source for a trailer hitch spike. I have a hitch on both the front and back and am tired of folks bumping into my truck while parking.

want to put a 3 to 6 inch spike on each end so they will have a nice sized hole in their bumper.

I seen the hay spikes but they are 38 inches long....don't want to rupture gas tanks.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:19 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
in some places it is illegal to leave your hitch on while not using it, because of the hazards The spike would be a good reason for a lawsuit in these areas.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Punisher29073
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are on aisle 5 next to the missiles that go behind your headlights.

Ryan

Old 09-09-2014, 10:32 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As tempting as this sounds, it's really not the best idea. It can get you in trouble if it causes real damage, because while you MAY be able to argue your case for having a hitch on the truck (I just came from a tow/going to a tow), you are going to have a very hard time explaining what exactly you're doing with a spike on the truck. I always have my pintle combo on the back of the truck, and even with this technically I can be faulted because some insurance companies don't like that. That being said, post some pictures if you ever get anything done about this, would be interesting to see!

Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
There was one step unit that has energy absorbing
components in it like cars have in the bumpers.
SUPERBUMPER Hitch Step - Stops Rear End Collision Damage.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
This is something else that may work. Not cheap but very functional. Shackle hitches.

http://www.bigas****ches.com/

Old 09-10-2014, 05:41 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I will agree that this is a bad idea. It will be pretty obvious that its only reason for being there is to cause damage, and you'll be responsible for any damage it causes. (even if it happened because they ran into your truck) Also, you certainly don't want anyone getting injured by it, especially someone's kid. Something like this could cause a serious injury if someone were to hit it while walking, and then you'll really have problems.

Are people really running into your truck that often that this is an issue? If so, I'd suggest that you get a low or zero deductible on your insurance for hit and run damage. While I've never had it happen to me personally, it did happen to my wife in her Jeep. Someone left this nice dent in the corner of the bumper and left:

Luckily we only have a $50 deductible for hit and run damage, and the check from the insurance company paid for this:

Sent from my HTC ONE using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Punisher29073
Those are on aisle 5 next to the missiles that go behind your headlights.

Ryan

They moved the missiles to aisle 6..

I always leave my receiver in my hitch. I have been hit twice, back there and luckily never left a mark... for me anyways.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Sounds like you need one of THESE, not a spike. That would be a particularly malicious thing to put on your truck. Terrible idea for lots of reasons, and could very well give you trouble with the law and/or possible civil liability.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
in NYC the parking technque used is back in til you hit the parked car behind you, then go forward til you hit the parked car in front of you, then back up a few inches. The drivers will get out and look at the impact areas for some reason, then move on. So i cant call this accidental.

so no, I do not want a horizontal bumper since its only going to get bent like the last one I had.

Yes, a spike will leave marks on the offending vehicle. I'll put a rubbr hose on the spike to keep blind people from getting scratched if they walk actoss the tip of the spike.

so back to the search, there are hay needles out there that mount in a hitch so, I guess I will get two of those and cut them down between 3 and 6 inches.

They only case I found of someone getting a ticket for a hitch device was for someone who had the two into one hitch that apparently violated the 8 inch protrusion rule of that state. There are no rules on this in NYS. and as the canadian folks know, in canada, you can not drive around with a hitch installed, ball mounted, if you are not on your way to or the way back from picking up a trailer.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
tjcprop
Elder User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
anyone know of a source for a trailer hitch spike. I have a hitch on both the front and back and am tired of folks bumping into my truck while parking.

want to put a 3 to 6 inch spike on each end so they will have a nice sized hole in their bumper.

I seen the hay spikes but they are 38 inches long....don't want to rupture gas tanks.
First lift your truck 6 inches and use a lower trailer hitch. I was rear ended at a stop light and did far more damage to the truck that hit me than was caused to me truck. Second, install "Rhino guarded" running boards. This helps when people open vehicle doors in tight parking lots. Their doors gets the dings or dents. Third, install a plow on the front. This scares people from hitting the front.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Iaff113
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not get two small receivers for the front and rear. And you could push and pull trailers also. I always leave my rear on in and always have people hit it.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They only case I found of someone getting a ticket for a hitch device was for someone who had the two into one hitch that apparently violated the 8 inch protrusion rule of that state. There are no rules on this in NYS. and as the canadian folks know, in canada, you can not drive around with a hitch installed, ball mounted, if you are not on your way to or the way back from picking up a trailer.
You're not understanding the consequences of your actions here. This has nothing to do with it being a "hitch device". It has to do with the fact that you're essentially turning your truck into a weapon. The law follows intent, and it's clear that your intent is to cause damage to other people's vehicles should they happen to bump into your vehicle. If someone hits this spike and it damages their vehicle, you're going to be paying for the damage. If someone is injured by it, you're going to be responsible for their medical bills, and there could even be criminal consequences.

I'd just use one of these triple ball hitches. This will do some damage if someone hits it, while still being an actual trailer hitch. They're really not expensive either. I think mine was $35 and it's rated to tow up to 10,000 lbs. Some even have a tow hook on the 4th side.

Sent from my HTC ONE using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with them just hitting the hitch and ball? It won't do any damage to your truck, just tear up their bumpers anyways.

However,if you are going to do this, go all the way with the gas tank rupture device. Burn baby burn!

Old 09-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: spike for trailer hitch