6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wipers won't turn off......sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM
gmhorse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers won't turn off......sometimes!

Starting around 25,000 miles my wipers stayed on the slowest intermittent setting even when turned off. I rolled them to high then back off again. Still they stayed on the slowest setting. This went on for about a week off and on and then the problem disappeared. Now at 35,000 the problems has come back a couple times. Sometimes they decide to turn off and other times not.

This caused a big problem in a recent snow storm I was driving in. I turned the wipers on to clear the window with made it worse with frozen mud, snow etc. I turned them off only to have them keep going and smearing more mud everywhere. Due to the blades remaining on when I turned them off I lost all visibility. It was a bad situation at 60MPH being blinded by wipers that would not turn off.

I scheduled an apt with the dealer today and took the truck in at 9am. They called around 5pm and stated they could not replicate the problem and the truck was ready for pickup. Really. So did someone jump in turn them on and off again once, then sign the paper "no problem found"? Anyone had this problem? Any ideas as to how to approach getting this problem resolved?

I know intermittent issues can be tough but I don't like riding around with dry wiper blades scratching up the front windshield for 30 minutes either. Dealer stated no way they could replace anything under warranty unless they could replicate the issue. I was told Ford would check the parts they replace and if they were working wouldn't reimburse the dealer? Really? Can there really be that many parts at fault? They only two that come to mind is the switch inside the cab or the wiper motor control board.

It seems to me that wipers that do not function correctly are a huge safety concern. In certain situations using wipers can create a visibility problem vs leaving them off.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
This has come up a few times. My truck does it (but has been good lately). I have to shut the truck off and re start to get them to shut off. It's not as simple as you may think .... and it's definately not as simple as it should be. Not much is hard wired .... signals are sent over the LIN (local interconnect network) between the steering wheel control module and an i7 processor (or something, black box) in the wiper motor. Who know if the SSCM is not sending the message ... or the wiper motor CPU!! is not getting it or not processing it properly.

Same issue causes my washer spray to not work sometimes which I think is definately a safety issue.

But in the name of "safety" the high speed wipers are hard wired so if nothing else at least they should always work

No one has posted a solution to these issues that I am aware ......

All you can do is throw parts at it .... start with the SSCM .... then the wiper motor ..... then the wiring harness in between .... then ....

Principles of Operation
Windshield Wiper Operation
The multifunction switch is mounted to the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM). The SCCM commands the windshield wiper motor to activate the appropriate wash, low, high and intermittent modes through a private Local Interconnect Network (LIN).
When the multifunction switch is in the HIGH position, the windshield wiper motor also receives a ground signal which is hardwired directly through the SCCM (bypassing the logic within the module). This fail-safe circuit makes sure that the windshield wipers will function in HIGH speed mode in the event of a LIN communication failure.
Washer System
When the multifunction switch is placed in the WASH position, the SCCM sends the request to the windshield wiper motor through the LIN . The windshield wiper motor supplies voltage to the washer pump, which then directs washer fluid to the windshield.

<TABLE border=1 rules=groups cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="90%"><CAPTION>Symptom Chart </CAPTION><COLGROUP><COLGROUP><COLGROUP><TBODY><TR>< TH>Condition </TH><TH>Possible Sources </TH><TH>Action </TH></TR><TBODY></TBODY><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>
  • The wipers are inoperative
</TD><TD>
  • Fuse(s)
  • Front wiper relay
  • Wiring, terminals or connectors
  • Multifunction switch
  • Windshield wiper motor
  • Steering Column Control Module (SCCM)
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TBODY></TBODY><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>
  • The wipers stay on continuously
</TD><TD>
  • Multifunction switch
  • Windshield wiper motor
  • SCCM
  • The wipers do not operate correctly in the low/high/intermittent mode(s)
</TD><TD>
  • Multifunction switch
  • SCCM
  • Windshield wiper motor
  • The wipers operate in high speed only
</TD><TD>
  • Multifunction switch
  • Windshield wiper motor
  • SCCM
  • The washer pump is inoperative
</TD><TD>
  • Multifunction switch
  • Washer pump
  • Windshield wiper motor
  • The wipers do not park at the correct position
</TD><TD>
  • Damaged wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>
  • Windshield wiper motor
</TD><TD>
  • If the wipers operate in high speed only and immediately stop on the windshield as soon as they are turned off, GO to Pinpoint Test D .
  • If the wipers operate in low speed mode correctly but immediately stop on the windshield as soon as they are turned off, INSTALL a new wiper motor. REFER to Wiper Motor in this section.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>
  • Pivot arm adjustment
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Good luck. If you do get it fixed I would be happy to hear about it

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Wipers Wiring.pdf (43.9 KB, 2031 views)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM
SultanGris
Elder User
Keep your washer fluid full and then you should be able to see. Incidentally have you tried shutting them off and if they still go just hit the washer spray button, wonder if that would reset the signals. Sometimes when I flip mine up to on and then back off real fast they won't move at all and I swear one time they cycled one when I didn't hit any buttons. I was wondering wtf was going on but if they aren't hard wired I guess that explains it and I'm flipping it back off before it activates, haha! Good luck.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM
gmhorse
Senior User
Thanks for the information Darren. Very informative. I have turned the truck off completely, taken the keys out and restarted up to 5 times in a row and the wipers still continue on the lowest intermittent setting. Other times I can cycle the wipers from the full speed to off position a few times rapidly and this will turn them off. I have also tried the spray button idea as Sultan suggested. This idea has never succeeded at turning them off.

I do understand it may be difficult to trace where the issue is coming from and take time to do so. But I still do not agree with the course of action taken by Ford or the repairing dealer. It doesn't really matter what steps need to be taken to fix the issue. Don't just hand me the keys back and say I'm sorry we can't make the wipers on this $60,000.00 vehicle stop even though the switch is off and we guaranteed it to work for 36,0000 miles. If you have no way to figure out the problem then throw a part at it until it is fixed. If the first part doesn't work then take it back off and put another on it.

If you see a man driving around Florida this summer in a black F350 with the wipers going while the sun is shining and it is 98 degrees outside that will be me. Maybe I can get a magnetic sign for the side that says "Ford couldn't figure out how to make my wipers stop" as I drive down the road wiping away!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

I definately agree with you. While under warranty they should throw parts at it until it works properly. I am out of warranty so I am not paying them to do so .

Can you try another dealer?

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
While mine just pulls the one wipe sweep on start up at times. With courtesy wipe turned off. Ford has known of this 4 years. And yet no repair. Mine dont care if its hot or cold and no predictions on when.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gmhorse
Starting around 25,000 miles my wipers stayed on the slowest intermittent setting even when turned off. I rolled them to high then back off again. Still they stayed on the slowest setting. This went on for about a week off and on and then the problem disappeared. Now at 35,000 the problems has come back a couple times. Sometimes they decide to turn off and other times not...
PM me your information, gmhorse; I want to look into this to see how I can help. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start checking out some options.

Crystal

Old 02-06-2014, 05:00 PM
gmhorse
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordService
PM me your information, gmhorse; I want to look into this to see how I can help. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll start checking out some options.

Crystal
Thanks for trying Crystal

The regional rep called me today to repeat what the dealer told me. She said I'm sorry but we can't do anything until we see it happen. So I guess I am stuck with a truck with wipers that won't turn off on a $60,000.00 truck under warranty.

I would love for someone to show me the part in the factory warranty that says "intermittent problems are not covered".

Anyone have any ideas for the wording on my magnetic signs?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Well that just aint right......

But I do like your signs

Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I think I'd park right across the street from dealer if possible.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 PM
SultanGris
Elder User

The regional rep called me today to repeat what the dealer told me. She said I'm sorry but we can't do anything until we see it happen. So I guess I am stuck with a truck with wipers that won't turn off on a $60,000.00 truck under warranty.

I would love for someone to show me the part in the factory warranty that says "intermittent problems are not covered".

[/URL][/IMG]
If they won't turn off it shouldn't be too hard to replicate, make them dove around with ya for a half hour or so, lol!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I definitely get where you are coming from, although having worked as a service engineer myself, it is really impossible to diagnose issues like this unless they do occur in front of you.

With intermittent electrical issues, they can often be caused by changes in temperature - see if you can recall it happening at any specific temperature.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 AM
gmhorse
Senior User
I wanted to update everyone on the resolution to this issue. I took the truck to another dealer that was able to diagnose and fix the problem. I was told I had to pay my $100 deductible. They replaced the wiper control switch in the cab. Long story short the original dealer that offered no path to a resolution did not document the problem or report that my vehicle was in for this problem. No wonder Crystal called me back and told me she couldn't help me. The Ford dealer kept my issue "internal" and didn't report it. Crystal does this seem right to you? I took my truck to a Ford dealer under warranty with a wiper issue. They said sorry we can't do anything, you are stuck with it and did not document the issue. I feel like the original dealer should be responsible for the $100 for not documenting this to the Ford system.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:31 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
... I feel like the original dealer should be responsible for the $100 for not documenting this to the Ford system.
Hi gmhorse,

You can reach out to your original dealership to see if they'd be willing to assist you with the cost of the deductible. If you'd like, I can document your feedback for internal review; just PM me with a verification of your best daytime phone number and any details you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 05-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi gmhorse,

You can reach out to your original dealership to see if they'd be willing to assist you with the cost of the deductible. If you'd like, I can document your feedback for internal review; just PM me with a verification of your best daytime phone number and any details you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest.

Crystal
Again, you rock Crystal!

Quick Reply: Wipers won't turn off......sometimes!