1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Nik's 97 350 build thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nik's 97 350 build thread

Well my truck has really pushed me over the edge this last week, I have dumped a ton of money into basic maintenance on this truck over the last 8 months, and have not even started to really spend money on mods. It only has 124k on it and I am getting sick of the monthly issues. When I bought it I took it in to a top notch shop and close friend, and dropped 3500+ on a laundry list of **** wrong with it… I Knew there were going to be repairs but not to this extent…I let him do an injector/clutch, and I followed with all the other maintenance.

Ful syn fluids, ball joints. diff seals, breaks, rotors, calipers, bearings, lockouts, u joints, the list goes on...all the typical maintenace issues to get it ready for another 100k

Since then it has been pretty darn reliable but every month there has been a decent project due to minor failure in stuff I just didn’t think major failures would happen this early in the mileage span of the truck. Don’t get me wrong I’m well aware she is turning 16 and the hard years are ahead J Its the best truck I have owned for towing purposes, but damn I’m getting sick of this quirks every month….My 460 has not given me an issues since the day I have had it.<o</o

Here is my current problem… I think my injectors are getting to their life’s end, had 2 replaced 8 months ago and now I have 1 maybe 2 that are sticking in the morning. Last week when it got down to about 0 degrees over night I could not get the truck to even fire/ sputter after 2 days in the mid teens and two cold nights. I killed the batteries trying. Plugged it in and put them on a charger for 3 hours. Came back to it and it fired right up… I have new GP’s, harness, relay, UVCH, and the entire system. So I figured gelled fuel or injectors being a real biatch. I thought the diesel gelled…but I don’t think so anymore. My brothers truck fires like its been running for an hour even when its below 0. It does not start as well as it did last spring in these temps.<o</o

I have noticed I can get the 1 or 2 injectors to clear up quick by popping into 80e out of the stock tune and stepping on it while driving down the road. They clear right up and then I’m idling solid and at full power. I have been using the stock tune for 95% of my driving, due to tuning issues I have fought with this truck since I got the chip…. But we are not getting into that can of worms… I will say the exact symptom prevails even if I remove the chip. The 80 e just clears up the stick and then I click right back to stock, I’m guessing with an increased ICP it would do so.<o</o

I have noticed in the cold mornings after letting it idle for 5 minutes or so, I take off down the road, and I do not rev past 2000rpm on a cold motor before shifting, by the time I hit 4<sup>th</sup> gear I get a massive power drop, and it seems as if the truck is not getting adequate fuel delivery. The other day it sat in high 30 degree weather all day from 5 am to 6:30 pm after I drove it about 20 miles to work at 4:30 in the morning. At 615pm I tried starting it and it fired up, yet I could tell an injector was sticking, take off down the road and right as I shift into 3<sup>rd</sup> gear the power drops off and the truck actually dies, in gear. I pull over quick under compression braking, and try restarting….nothing…. I floor the pedal and crank and it starts up, but is still missing an injector or 2. Billowing a little white smoke. I continue down the road and feel the injector unstick and come back to join the rest, luckily I got home. It ran great the rest of the trip. Ran great this morning, but it was parked in the garage at 45+ degrees… this morning though about a mile away from the house I got the brief moment of power loss getting onto the highway when revving it up in each gear.. I usually shift right after 2krpm…and when I hit 3<sup>rd</sup> gear and applied throttle it fell on its face and slowly came back up and then ran fine for the rest of the drive. WTF!<o</o

I swear it sounds like fuel delivery…Why would I have to stomp on the pedal just to get it started? If I hadn’t I would have cranked away and away without a fire.<o</o

Checks:<o></o
No codes<o></o
Fuel pressure is 40psi at idle<o></o
Fuel bowl is crystal clean<o></o
Filter is extremely clean for 10k miles<o></o
No oil in fuel<o></o
New CPS<o></o
NEW GP system<o></o
2 Brand new (not reman injectors about 8 months old)<o</o

I can go along the list of stuff but I’m sort of left at the idea of a HPOP or injectors…. <o</o

I do not have AE or a scan gauge nor the money to go purchase one on top of all these vehicle fixes. So I really am not sure how I can pull those PIDs for any of you who will ask.<o</o

What to do next? I’m taking it to the shop tomorrow to have a third EGT probe installed(had everything hooked up, I am not drilling the passenger manifold though…) I am going to bring it up to a good friend, and one of the top mechanics here in Denver, works on half if not more of the local racer tow rigs.<o</o

What do you guys think???? I was planning to be in the middle of an injector job right now on it, but am paying for a catastrophic motor failure in my wifes new but used Subaru…sort of put a big azz delay on everything, but I figure I wouldn’t be having issues to this extent.<o</o

ITS NOT EVEN COLD HERE YET!!! Forget taking it to ND for 6 weeks if 0-20 degrees is causing problems!<o></o

Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
I try not to add up time spent nor $ spent. Luckily i have my rusty crusty ol dodge as alt transportation.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I guess you know what your first "Major Mod" will be. Injectors! It sounds to me like you have a couple that are sticking, but I'm not an expert in that kind of thing. I'm sorry that you bought 2 new ones recently. You probably could have had Jim Rose (Rosewood diesel) go through all 8 and build them to "budget build" stage 1's for what you spent on those 2 new ones. Seriously.

Give Jim a call. Last I heard he would do a budget build to stock or stage 1 specs for $550-$600. With that low mileage on the injectors I think the internals would be okay to reuse in his "budget build". View it as addressing a problem or as pushing you to do your first major upgrades, either way. If you do 1s (or 1.5s) and a T500 I think you'll be really happy with the truck.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
I hear you both. I don't uasually put a dollar amount on a vehicle to own, but between the wifes new car and the truck its really been pushing me over the edge.

The plan is to go with 1.5s and a T500 here in a couple months. I am going to redo the stock ones in one of the boss trucks first, and go through Jim for premium rebuilds for that, and when the time comes do mine as well.

After reading quite a few other threads this problem I'm having sounds like IPR?

Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You have worn poppet valves. Time for a rebuild.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Replied to the PM... I agree with you the injectors are on there last leg, but is this all a symptom of worn poppet valves? 2 of the 8 are brand new, why would it run for 5-10 minutes make it down the road a mile or so and then when I get on it to enter the highway loose its sack briefly...then come back around?

Either way jim will be getting an order for 2 sets of injectors here... 1 in the next 2 weeks and the other for my truck hopefully in a few months...if they last.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<deleted>
Richard

Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Have you checked your turbo encabulator. you may have side fumbling if one of the hydrocoptic marzul vanes came loose from the ambaphascient lunar wain shaft.

Richard

Did this thread irritate you...was simply asking a question trying to solve a problem...

Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nossliw
Did this thread irritate you...was simply asking a question trying to solve a problem...
Just trying to lighten the mood... you seem to be having a rough time. And you seem to have gotten your answer and a path forward.

It is often good to have a smile at the end of an issue... no offense intended... I'll remove it if you like...

Richard

EDT: I assume you have not seen the video then....

Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
No reason to remove it and wasn't offended at all, just more confused, but maybe if I see this movie then it will clear stuff up

Been trying to look at this all in a positive light...but man working 70 hours a week for the last 5 weeks, and a truck throwing wrecnches at me sporatically has been busting my *****

I sure do appreciate all the advice you guys have, and this place has taught me boat loads about diesels... I have not owned mine for much more than a year and have quite a bit to learn.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
No reason to remove it and wasn't offended at all, just more confused, but maybe if I see this movie then it will clear stuff up

Been trying to look at this all in a positive light...but man working 70 hours a week for the last 5 weeks, and a truck throwing wrecnches at me sporatically has been busting my *****

I sure do appreciate all the advice you guys have, and this place has taught me boat loads about diesels... I have not owned mine for much more than a year and have quite a bit to learn.
PM inbound...

Richard

Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Makes much more sense

On a cool note I saw the exact toolbox I own in the second video...

Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
What to do next?
Trade me.
I want a sonic blue crew cab.

You have to swap motors/trans with me though.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Serious question again...

Do you guys suggest AE or Scan Gauge for diagnostics... It would be nice to purchase a diagnostic system that would show real time data on a screen at all times in the truck, instead of needing a lap top. But a lap top is fine as well.

Anyone have links to the cheapest place for either to purchase? Sure seems using AE is more of a tell tale way to truble shoot than guessing. It would be nice to have before and after info on a lot of PIDs that id like to see change and report on with a new pump...then new injectors, and so on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nik's 97 350 build thread