Sponsored by: Moser

Sync version 3.2.5 update - No USB2 access

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
thomastl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync version 3.2.5 update - No USB2 access

I just had the dealer update my sync to version 3.2.5 to try and fix a few issues I was having.

Phone seems to work great.

It did remove the fact that every time you tried to access the USB thumb drive you had to go thru the menu and explore drive options to get to other folders on the drive. Now it keeps the info and you don't seem to have to do that again.

However, it will not access the usb2 port anymore. If I remove the drive from usb2 it will flash on the screen usb2 removed. Replug it back in, and go to menu to select and only options are Line in and USB. Select USB and it says USB Empty. Remove from usb2 and plug into USB1. Again go into menu and select USB and it begins playing.

Appears USB2 is no longer in the menu to be able to play music from.

Anyone else done this update and found a solution?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simply swap the cables (USB1 to USB2).

Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 PM
thomastl
Senior User
Factory USB1 cable will not fit into USB2 plug. They are keyed different (houseing around the USB plug has a latch on it and that houseing has a keyway on the bottom that is opposite between USB1 and USB2 on the back of the radio).
I could just plug my glove box cable into USB1 and not have the dash port but I like to use it for charging my phone (even though you cannot select USB2 it does still have power to it and will charge my phone (I verified it)).

Hopefully they will realize they removed USB2 from the selection list and add it back in the next update.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:01 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or you could still swap them and buy a power port USB charger to put in the center console for charging.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by thomastl
Hopefully they will realize they removed USB2 from the selection list and add it back in the next update.
I very, Very, VERY much doubt that. If USB2 access was disabled with that "update", I am 99% sure it was done on purpose and won't come back.
Thanks for the heads up. I have absolutely zero issues with my sync, and I use the USB2 port. I will somehow need to make sure no update is installed. Yet another reason to not get this truck near a dealer without a very good reason ....

Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM
thomastl
Senior User
The update did fix a lot of issues w/ playing from the USB thumb drive.
I have multiple folders setup on my thumb drive. Every time I would turn the truck on I would have to go to play menu and go into explore USB and play all so I could access all the folders. Plus it always started over at the first folder after doing this. If I did not do this then it would only access the folder it was previously playing.

All that has been fixed. It now will keep up with where your at and will continue to access all the the folders every time you crank up. This is a great fix and worth loosing the USB2 to me if that ends up being the answer. But would be nice to have USB2 back in operation.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by thomastl
The update did fix a lot of issues w/ playing from the USB thumb drive.
I have multiple folders setup on my thumb drive. Every time I would turn the truck on I would have to go to play menu and go into explore USB and play all so I could access all the folders. Plus it always started over at the first folder after doing this. If I did not do this then it would only access the folder it was previously playing.

All that has been fixed. It now will keep up with where your at and will continue to access all the the folders every time you crank up. This is a great fix and worth loosing the USB2 to me if that ends up being the answer. But would be nice to have USB2 back in operation.
Yeah, I see what you mean. It appears though that there is a version in between that fixes your issues but leaves USB2 available. The reason I think so is that my 2012 does not exhibit any of the issues you mentioned (I have my entire iTunes library on a stick in the glove box connected via USB2 with countless songs, artists and playlists). In fact, I have no problems at all, except that sometimes right after turning on the truck, and when USB2 was selected, I get a scratching sound here and there within the first 20 seconds or so, nothing thereafter. I translate that "problem" into a bandwidth issue with the unit booting up while trying to read from the stick. Never happened more than half a minute after starting the truck. I can live with that.
Your issues seem far worse, and I am with you that getting those fixed is probably worth losing USB2. After you reporting this though, I'll try to really make sure to have no updates installed unless I find a real issue.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Deanner
New User
Any further update on this? Did that SYNC update infact remove the USB2 availabilty?

If so, anyway to roll back the sync to a version where both worked?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Masterducker
New User
Ok I have question. I dont have a second USB port on my 2011 that I am aware of. Is this a modification install? I just joined these forums recently and havent caught up on all the great mod advice from everyone.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:47 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
It seems this thread is old, but I lost USB2 when updating to Sync 4.4. Anyone else? Is there a way to roll back?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:44 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
BCM,

I just updated today also not aware USB2 might be affected. I am having issues with USB2 working. I did get it to work once after updating to 4.4 but right now it is not working. Some searching around shows F150 owners experiencing the same thing and some are saying after multiple engine starts, USB2 started working. Not sure what to think about this but I haven't gone through multiple engine starts yet.

If USB2 continues to not work after continued engine starts, then I too would like to know if it is possible to rollback to the previous Sync version.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:48 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Talked to a Sync rep in chat today. He said that they are aware of the issue and that it will be corrected in the next update. For now, do this:

Once the vehicle is completely up and running, hit the phone button. Then click the voice command and say USB2. It will work. Thing that bothers me is after you shut off the truck, USB2 may or may not be active on restart. If you get back in and start it and are on an AM station instead of USB2, you have to repeat the steps I just posted. Otherwise you're still good. Also, once you switch away from USB2, you have to do the steps to get back to it.

It is an extra button press, but at least it is still usable, although inconsistent to a degree.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Thanks for the update!

When they say next update... will that be two years from now?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:57 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Just found this thread... Interesting.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lude-siri.html

I also reached out to member FordIVTeam ... when this update was first released back in March, they were pretty active assisting members on several boards. They didn't even respond to my PM or my thread here about it. Kind of surprising.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:12 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Yes, that is the thread that prompted me to go and update sync on my truck. However, the information about 2011 SD trucks the update will work on is not very detailed. It requires you to login to your Ford Sync account. From there you will be granted access to what updates will work on your specific system. There was an update for my system but it was not very specific what update. So, I went through the process to find out there was an update from the beginning of the year for my truck, wondering if it was a multi-step upgrade process. It wasn't. That page says I am on the most recent version. My truck is a 2011 Job2 build.

Quick Reply: Sync version 3.2.5 update - No USB2 access