Mileage: 4500
Color: Black
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): AZ
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
Color: Brown
Engine: Olds 403

First - the mileage is on the rebuilt Olds 403 engine. I have no idea how many miles are on the actual truck.

This is actually a pretty nice, straight truck that is a great candidate for a restoration project. The frame is straight and the paint is rough. The truck starts and runs great with a strong engine that sounds great. Has a cam in there that makes the truck lope when it idles. Truck only gets about 8 - 10 mpg because of the 4 bbl carb, but it sure is fun to really get into it! Not going to lie - it is a rough truck, but has great potential. I drove it back from San Antonio to Gilbert without any issues at all, but it did use a ton of gas!

Here is some additional information.
  • Engine: 1978 Oldsmobile 403 after rebuilt has 4500 miles
  • 1978 transmission 400 Hydromatic beefed up so you can pull a 4000lb trailer - dextrone 3 oil was used
  • Edelbrock Carb
  • Rear end -- 278 highway rear end, rare…Ford 9inch rear end (racing)
  • Ujoints for rear are for a 77 ford, front are 78 Oldsmobile (drive shaft was built for it and is new)
  • Valvaline 10/30 motor oil with lucas additive
  • Intake: Summit star step racing intake
  • Radiator is a 77 ford HD (heavy Cooling) – piping was reversed on it so (takes regular anti-freeze). This radiator was rebuilt/cored summer of 2010 and added some efficiencies to better cool in the hot Arizona summer.
  • Includes extra fuel pump.
  • New front end and new brakes were put on
  • New alternator (recent)

Known Issues
  • The A/C does not work. After removal of the Ford 302 the previous owner removed all of the baffling and ducting that made the A/C work. I have found that it can be replaced with an aftermarket A/C and that appears to be around &700 - $900.
  • The truck has a push button starter - that is the way I got it and it works fine, but is not original.
  • No radio as well as no speakers.
  • Steering gear leak. Cost to replace between $75 (Checker brand) and $200 for a red head steering gear.
  • There is a bit of rust under the seat pans and it appears that some rust will eventually start in other areas under the bed etc... if not treated. The bed has some rusted out areas, but nothing major. The floor of the bed can likely be replaced.
  • The only gauge in the cluster that works is the fuel gauge. The other gauges are inop because the previous owner rewired them to under dash gauges which do work. The speedometer does work.
  • There is no aux fuel tank, but the truck was built with one. Not sure what it would take to make that work again.
  • Tires are rough and will likely only go a few thousand more miles before they will need to be replaced.

I am not really open to negotiating on this since I feel that this is a pretty reasonable truck at a reasonable price and would make an excellent restoration project.

I had Ford send the build sheet from the factory so if someone were to restore they would know how the truck was delivered.

The title is clear.

Thanks for looking and please do not hesitate to ask questions!

I can be reached via this forum - private message or 858 705 1063.

Thanks!

Attached Images