1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking under load, any idea's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM
02SuperPoop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ticking under load, any idea's?

Hey everyone, I was having a ticking problem with the engine under load so I went ahead and did my manifold gaskets. I had a new 5.4 put in my 02 f350 last winter, and at that time I also installed gibson shorty headers. The tech had to plug the egr port with a pipe plug. But any ways, I pulled the headers last month and I used Percy's aluminum header gaskets. I also took the time to wire wheel all of the flanges and the mating surfaces. The one on the ball and socket flange was leaking on the passenger side, so I permanently sealed it with some 1800* epoxy.

The leak seemingly went away for a week or so, but it has returned. I sprayed down all of the mating surfaces with soapy water, but I can't find the leak. It only happens when accelerating or when i downshift to go uphill.

So, at my whits end, I went to try and retorque my spark plugs. I've done half of them so far. Havn't driven it yet, but i was curious as to others thoughts on the subject. more idea's?

this leak cannot be heard at idle, nor at any RPM while in park or neutral. It is only apparent when driving. definetly sounds like an exhaust leak to me. any opinions are welcome

Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used a piece of vacuum hose held(stuck in) to my ear to check for leaks. I assume you checked that EGR pipe plug and that ball and socket joint that was giving you a problem to start with. Soapy water doesn't work well unless the leak is really small.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
02SuperPoop
New User
Originally Posted by gfw1985
I have used a piece of vacuum hose held(stuck in) to my ear to check for leaks. I assume you checked that EGR pipe plug and that ball and socket joint that was giving you a problem to start with. Soapy water doesn't work well unless the leak is really small.
i will have to try that idea. i cannot remove the pipe plug to re-seal it, it's pretty well in there. the joint was packed and completely coated with an epoxy made by Por-15 good to 1800 degree's, i don't think it's there. is there a slight possibility that the ticking is acutally in my wheelbearing/wheel joint? i heard some noises from it the other day. im going to take it for a drive to work to see if i can hear anything else...

Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Usually exhaust leaks are not rpm or load induced, they either are there all the time or they aren't! It sounds as though you may have a cam phaser or a follower making your noise
Jim & fat Monty

Old 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i have basically the same noise on almost the same truck. been wondering what it is for the 14,000 miles i have owned it now

Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM
jlheine
New User
My 2000 had the same thing, you couldnt hear it untill you gave it some gas, i had a hair line crack in the left manifold. i got one from a junk yard, and problem solved. if that helps any.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
check your headers. also, just because you wire wheeled the surface doesn't mean that the surface is true. Headers are notorious for warping and leaking. aluminum gaskets are a good start, make sure they're torqued to spec, warm it up and cool it down a few times (driveway, not highway) and retorque them down. I recommend locking header bolts.

Ticking can happen under load. back pressure build up only shows when there is a heavy exhaust flow. how's your cat and muffler? a plugged up can can cause the problem to show up worse...

Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM
02SuperPoop
New User
Originally Posted by NavyMIDN08
check your headers. also, just because you wire wheeled the surface doesn't mean that the surface is true. Headers are notorious for warping and leaking. aluminum gaskets are a good start, make sure they're torqued to spec, warm it up and cool it down a few times (driveway, not highway) and retorque them down. I recommend locking header bolts.

Ticking can happen under load. back pressure build up only shows when there is a heavy exhaust flow. how's your cat and muffler? a plugged up can can cause the problem to show up worse...
The problem with tightening down our manifold bolts is the lack of space to get any tools in there even with the wheel wells out. i did manage to get them pretty tight, and rechecked several times. used some blue loctite too.

that is a good point about load. i have been having this problem that on occasion when i rev the engine and let off the gas the RPM's will drop and the truck will almost stall out. this also happens when shifting into reverse from drive. thought it was the IAC, but I replaced it and the problem is still present. so I suppose back pressure(yes it is a myth) could be a contributing factor in my many problem.

I have also considered the possibility of internal engine problems on a fresh rebuild. I purchased this motor through PROformance and it has performed wonderfully...

i may just have to ignore it until next spring... unless anyone wants a mint f350 with 10k on motor and 107 on the clock

Old 09-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
Usually exhaust leaks are not rpm or load induced, they either are there all the time or they aren't! It sounds as though you may have a cam phaser or a follower making your noise
Jim & fat Monty
does the 2V mod motors use a cam phaser ??? or is that for 3V mod engines only ?

Old 10-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Crf45or1991
New User
My truck did that and my catylitic converters were shot

Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
02SuperPoop
New User
just an update: it's kind of cold up my way in ct this morning so i plugged up my tail pipe with some rags and started up the truck. the usual cold morning white exhaust poured out of the many holes in my muffler, but there was none to be seen anywhere up front near the engine. which is a great sign to me. the ticking was more pronounced at idle to the point that i could hear in from both headers. this leads me to believe that there is simply a flow inconsistancy somewhere in my headers. this leaves either the pipe plug in my egr port, or the fresh gaskets i installed in my headers. i think i will rule out internal engine problems for now, but i will be adding some lucas oil stabilizer as well as switching back to motorcraft oil on my next service change.

thanks a lot guys!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

i had the typical white smoke/steam or whatever this morning too, was pretty chilly here in CT. Where are you from?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:12 PM
02SuperPoop
New User
Originally Posted by acf6
i had the typical white smoke/steam or whatever this morning too, was pretty chilly here in CT. Where are you from?
Out in the Northeast corner in Ashford

Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 02SuperPoop
Out in the Northeast corner in Ashford
nice i am right down in manchester. i know there is another guy here from ashford i believe and another from storrs area

Old 10-07-2011, 05:11 AM
02SuperPoop
New User
Originally Posted by acf6
nice i am right down in manchester. i know there is another guy here from ashford i believe and another from storrs area

yeah one of my friends from ashford is a member on the board. i'm sure ive spoken to alot of local members a time or two, you meet a few people here and there when you work in a parts store.

Quick Reply: ticking under load, any idea's?