1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP! Ran Out of Diesel. Now Won't Start. Lost Prime?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 AM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Received 248 Likes on 180 Posts
HELP! Ran Out of Diesel. Now Won't Start. Lost Prime?

Fellas -

Ran out of fuel this morning; truck was low on diesel, parked on a decline. Must have uncovered the fuel pickup in the tank. Sucked air. Ran for a few minutes (fuel in the bowl must have kept it going) then it quit. It's in a parking lot now. Sitting level (or darn close to it). Added 5.5 gallons of fuel and it still won't start.

Tried to take the fuel filter lid off to fill it, but didn't have the right wrench (Napa Gold filter with large nut molded in the top). Will try to get that off and add fuel to the fuel bowl. Right now I just have vise grips; hope that does the trick without totally mangling it. If it's mangled, thinking I'm screwed.

Any other thoughts on how to get it started?

Scott

Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just turn the key to ON and listen to the pump run. It will stop after 20-30 seconds (don't know exactly) so turn the key back to OFF and back to ON again and let the pump run again until it shuts off. I think two times is enough but you might as well do it again for good measure. The bowl will be full and it should start. If you already took the lid off the bowl make sure you get another o-ring pronto because it probably won't seal right and will cause you a big mess shortly down the road.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 AM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks, Scott

Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Oh, after you cycle the pump a few times, if it doesn't start, open the bowl-drain valve and you'll probably hear and see air escape. If you do, close the valve and cycle the pump a few times again and she should fire. I had that happen once when I changed my DAHL filter. It pushed the air through to the factory bowl.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock sysem is a real PITA to prime. Largely because the return line feeds directly into the pick up in the tank. Any air that gets sent back to the tank is immediately sucked back in by the pump. It's a really dumb design. Do the in-tank mods as soon as you can. Mine now fully primes in 2 key cycles.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orezona
Oh, after you cycle the pump a few times, if it doesn't start, open the bowl-drain valve and you'll probably hear and see air escape. If you do, close the valve and cycle the pump a few times again and she should fire. I had that happen once when I changed my DAHL filter. It pushed the air through to the factory bowl.
Yes if you open the valve and let the air get out it will run smoother quicker than if you don't.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 AM
ajorn
Senior User
I ran out once...huge PITA. I added 5 gallons, wouldn't start. I added 5 more, still nothing. Added 5 more, batteries go dead. Jump off of the Ex and finally started. Couldn't believe it took that much....I later pulled the tank and my pickup foot was off the tube and the filters weren't in great shape...keep luggin' those 5 gallon cans good luck.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Diesel 724
Elder User
I have horror stories about if u run out its not like a gas vehicle its a PITA to fix it. I NEVER let mine go under a quarter tank because of that reason. It scares me!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Got it going again.

Tried letting the fuel pump cycle, but hadn't seen the other threads so I didn't know to open the valve. Anyway, that didn't work. Then I borrowed a wrench from a mechanic (coasted into the parking lot of a Jaguar/Range Rover place in Bethesda MD when I ran out) and borrowed a wrench and got the filter off - LOTS of pressure built up. The bowl was 1/3 full, too, but I put some more in it. Started up after that, but did have to crank over for a bit.

Guess I need to quit trying to eke out every mile I can from each tank, but it's tough! I get 800 miles per tankful most times, and if I really baby it I can get 22 mpg and 900+ miles out of a tank.

Thanks for all the input!

Scott

Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad you got it going.
These trucks are designed to self purge if you have the battery power. A little know-how helps too.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 PM
N4TECguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by bulletpruf
if I really baby it I can get 22 mph and 900+ miles out of a tank.
Don't you ever stop to pee?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by N4TECguy
Don't you ever stop to pee?
No kidding. I have a brand new 32 gallon bed mount tank sitting in my garage that I was going to put in but then I realized, why would I want to drive that far with out stopping. Heck, during our summer vacation I can't wait to stop at 1/2 empty

Old 01-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Jess1994
New User
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Yes if you open the valve and let the air get out it will run smoother quicker than if you don't.
My fuel release valve won't bleed out the fuel or whatever it is. We ran out of diesel we put a half of a tank in the truck. Now it won't start. WTH do I do. We've tried for a day and a half .Batteries are almost dead now.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Jess1994
My fuel release valve won't bleed out the fuel or whatever it is. We ran out of diesel we put a half of a tank in the truck. Now it won't start. WTH do I do. We've tried for a day and a half .Batteries are almost dead now.
‘Welcome to FTE.

First charge the batteries. Second, do you hear the pump running when you turn the key on? When changing the filter I usually prime the pump 3-4 times with the charger on the batteries.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:01 PM
Jess1994
New User
Originally Posted by Colorado350

‘Welcome to FTE.

First charge the batteries. Second, do you hear the pump running when you turn the key on? When changing the filter I usually prime the pump 3-4 times with the charger on the batteries.
The batteries are brand new. just got them a week ago. And yes I hear the pump. For about 30 sec then shuts off .we cycle though about 8 times litteraly. We charge the batteries while we crank on it.

Quick Reply: HELP! Ran Out of Diesel. Now Won't Start. Lost Prime?