Notices

'88 F350 DUALLY -- 460ci -- 3.55 gears

 
  #16  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 PM
CathedralCub
CathedralCub is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 824
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by EDC8008 View Post
I had a 88 crew cab F350 SRW.
I'm curious: Was this with a 460 or 351 or other?
 
  #17  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 AM
EDC8008
EDC8008 is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 572
EDC8008 has a good reputation on FTE.EDC8008 has a good reputation on FTE.EDC8008 has a good reputation on FTE.
460! loved that truck and engine.

Only 2 issues I ever had with the truck was after I had replaced my fuel pump relay with one from Auto Zone, the relay shorted in the on position, blew the diaphragm in the fuel regulator and filled the engine with gas till it was running out the intake. I don't get anything from Auto Zone since. Second the pick up went out in the distributor, truck would start and run then once it'd get good and warm it would just stop. It had been doing this when the relay went so I had it in the shop and the mechanics couldn't get it to repeat with the hood open so I had the guy close the hood while we went up to settle the bill, when we walked back, guess what!! Truck had stalled and when they checked it was the distributor. Replaced the pickup and no more issues until the tree fell on it.
 
  #18  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Benztechnc's Avatar
Benztechnc
Benztechnc is offline
FTE Chapter Leader
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Ole' North State.
Posts: 2,653
Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.Benztechnc has a great reputation on FTE.
Not a lot of information out on the web for the towing numbers on this old truck. I’ve been looking around trying to figure it out myself. Best I can guess at is 18,5 combined weight.

If I find out anything or if anyone has a manual for this truck, I’d love to see it. For reference the truck I have is an 89 with 460,c-6 with 4.10’s srw and 4x4. The 460 was fuel injected in 89, not sure about yours.
 
  #19  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 PM
CathedralCub
CathedralCub is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 824
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by EDC8008 View Post
460! loved that truck and engine.

Only 2 issues I ever had with the truck was after I had replaced my fuel pump relay with one from Auto Zone, the relay shorted in the on position, blew the diaphragm in the fuel regulator and filled the engine with gas till it was running out the intake. I don't get anything from Auto Zone since. Second the pick up went out in the distributor, truck would start and run then once it'd get good and warm it would just stop. It had been doing this when the relay went so I had it in the shop and the mechanics couldn't get it to repeat with the hood open so I had the guy close the hood while we went up to settle the bill, when we walked back, guess what!! Truck had stalled and when they checked it was the distributor. Replaced the pickup and no more issues until the tree fell on it.
Cool it ran well and was easy to diagnose. Too bad things happen to them. On the bright side, you can't enjoy them if you hide them away, so at least you got to enjoy it.
 
  #20  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:27 PM
CathedralCub
CathedralCub is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 824
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Benztechnc View Post
Not a lot of information out on the web for the towing numbers on this old truck. Iíve been looking around trying to figure it out myself. Best I can guess at is 18,5 combined weight.

If I find out anything or if anyone has a manual for this truck, Iíd love to see it. For reference the truck I have is an 89 with 460,c-6 with 4.10ís srw and 4x4. The 460 was fuel injected in 89, not sure about yours.
Yeah, back in the day, they didn't print a GCVWR on the door sticker. Best resource I've found for general reference is the towing brochures.
 
  #21  
Old 05-21-2019, 01:08 AM
JakeHan
JakeHan is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 489
JakeHan is starting off with a positive reputation.
GCWR is more of a suggestion than a law, according to MT statute, anyhow. Semis have door jamb stickers, too, and they say nothing about the trailer, just the truck. (At least that’s what the local MTDOT guy said to me when asked). Might be different elsewhere. As long as the axle weights on the pickup and trailer are within spec, you’re legal here. As far as what it will effectively tow, let’s just say a lot more has been pulled with a lot less.......

as far as towing, that one was definitely somebody’s pride and joy Toter once upon a time, Rv/horse trailer/race car hauler. I’d get new power window motors, they’re cheap and you won’t need new door panels. As far as pulling, that one was probably meant for legging it out down the interstate with 3.55s, but I bet you’ll like it fine w/no overdrive. I prefer 3.55s in my pickups, but I have 4x4s so I can cheat and use low range if I need. That will be the only time you’d have an issue, picking up a load from a dead stop, might be a little harder on your transmission. The rest of the time, it’ll just downshift a little sooner, but you’ll get to the top of the hill pretty much at the same time as a 4.10 rear.
 
  #22  
Old 05-21-2019, 01:24 PM
CathedralCub
CathedralCub is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 824
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JakeHan View Post
GCWR is more of a suggestion than a law, according to MT statute, anyhow. Semis have door jamb stickers, too, and they say nothing about the trailer, just the truck. (At least thatís what the local MTDOT guy said to me when asked). Might be different elsewhere. As long as the axle weights on the pickup and trailer are within spec, youíre legal here. As far as what it will effectively tow, letís just say a lot more has been pulled with a lot less.......
In many states, they go by DoT and if the overall assembly exceeds the GCVWR then uh-oh (in addition to any individual axle or vehicle overages), but if there is no GCVWR then they go by GVWR and GAWR ratings of each vehicle (no matter the actual load or lack thereof) in a combination up to 26,000 pounds. Theoretically, a person could load a mid-`80s 10,000-pound SRW with a 16,000-pound-GVWR gooseneck with three cars on it and be legal as long as no GAWR or GVWR is exceeded.

Most states you'd have a hard time getting pulled for weight issues unless you're doing something interesting.

Originally Posted by JakeHan View Post
as far as towing, that one was definitely somebodyís pride and joy Toter once upon a time, Rv/horse trailer/race car hauler. Iíd get new power window motors, theyíre cheap and you wonít need new door panels. As far as pulling, that one was probably meant for legging it out down the interstate with 3.55s, but I bet youíll like it fine w/no overdrive. I prefer 3.55s in my pickups, but I have 4x4s so I can cheat and use low range if I need. That will be the only time youíd have an issue, picking up a load from a dead stop, might be a little harder on your transmission. The rest of the time, itíll just downshift a little sooner, but youíll get to the top of the hill pretty much at the same time as a 4.10 rear.
Agree entirely.
 
  #23  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
JakeHan
JakeHan is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 489
JakeHan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by CathedralCub View Post
In many states, they go by DoT and if the overall assembly exceeds the GCVWR then uh-oh (in addition to any individual axle or vehicle overages), but if there is no GCVWR then they go by GVWR and GAWR ratings of each vehicle (no matter the actual load or lack thereof) in a combination up to 26,000 pounds. Theoretically, a person could load a mid-`80s 10,000-pound SRW with a 16,000-pound-GVWR gooseneck with three cars on it and be legal as long as no GAWR or GVWR is exceeded.

Most states you'd have a hard time getting pulled for weight issues unless you're doing something interesting.

.

Very likely on Combo ratings - I donít own anything new enough to have it on a sticker. 😂. Never been hassled before, with the exception of once with a company 2500 Dodge and a 3axle gooseneck w/8k axles, I was into CDL territory and my medical was expired. Never balked at the tow rig, I was right at the rear axle rating and about 22,000 on the trailer axles. That particular officer said I would have been illegal empty, just due to the truck/trailer ratings exceeding 26,000, more to do with the pickup being company therefore commercial - let me go, though, as it could just as well been my farm-licensed pickup which would exempt me. Pretty sure Texas cracks down on stuff like that, and Iíd heard Colorado does as well - although CO never said anything about it at POEs. That was with either a big camper or heavier horse trailer. Still better to not chance it if you have it on the sticker.
 
  #24  
Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM
CathedralCub
CathedralCub is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 824
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JakeHan View Post
That particular officer said I would have been illegal empty, just due to the truck/trailer ratings exceeding 26,000
Yeah, funny how that works. You could be in a F550 empty except for the 21,000 pound (Gross) flatbed trailer empty and get written for a bazillion pounds over 26,000 solely in GVWR or GCVWR, and while you are getting written, a Toyota with 20,000 pounds of cargo could blast by you at five over the speed limit and not get a second glance.

Originally Posted by JakeHan View Post
Pretty sure Texas cracks down on stuff like that, and Iíd heard Colorado does as well - although CO never said anything about it at POEs. That was with either a big camper or heavier horse trailer. Still better to not chance it if you have it on the sticker.
Yup, good to stay under. And yeah, CO does look for it, although I don't think they pull over for this kind of thing unless something egregious is going on.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.