Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

351w to 351m swap in an 85 bronco

Old 07-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Redark1
Senior User
Redark1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
found this on another web forum for you. hope this helps. sometimes you can find them on ebay as well as other places.

There is, however, one identifier on the Aussie heads that you won't find on the 351C heads; There is a casting alpha-numeric under the #2 cylinder's exhaust port on the head that should read, "AR-D1AE". The "AR" is exclusive to the Aussie head and is not found on the U.S.-produced Cleveland 2-V heads.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 AM
BigBlueWindsor
New User
BigBlueWindsor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ethanwilliams125 View Post
I have a 1985 bronco and Iím thinking about buying a 1981 f150 with a 351m to swap into my bronco. Do you think I could just swap the 351m and trans into my bronco and still use my 4wd and what about wiring?
I have had a lot of people tell me this swap wouldnít work. Though it isnít fully complete, it can definitely be done. The 351m takes the big block style transmission, which differs from your bronco. If the f150 donor truck is 4wd, swap it all in. If not you can do what I did, which was take my bb c6 2wd and sb c6 4wd to a transmission shop and have them mesh the two to make a bb 4wd. I decided to go ahead and get mine built too. Youíll just have to customize or fabricate so motor mounts and space the tranny mount to level the drivetrain. Iím waiting on a few parts including new radiator w electric fans, so I havenít done wiring yet, but these old motors donít take much, so Iím sure itíll pretty close to match up or wonít take much customization. Good luck man
Email me personally if you have more questions
[email protected]

Old 07-12-2019, 02:04 AM
BigBlueWindsor
New User
Originally Posted by Redark1 View Post
found this on another web forum for you. hope this helps. sometimes you can find them on ebay as well as other places.

There is, however, one identifier on the Aussie heads that you won't find on the 351C heads; There is a casting alpha-numeric under the #2 cylinder's exhaust port on the head that should read, "AR-D1AE". The "AR" is exclusive to the Aussie head and is not found on the U.S.-produced Cleveland 2-V heads.
Thank you! Iíll definitely look into that. Also looking towards some lighter aluminum heads. Also thinking about leaving the motor as is and building the 351w that came out off it and throwing it back in

Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 PM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Freshman User
One eyed Jumpin Jack is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why not?

The 335 series are good engines and that is a nice looking unit, although better in 400 form. If you can make it work then go for it. It'll certainly be different. Different is cool. At least you're not going SBC. That's blasphemy.
You're experimenting and learnign from experience. More power to you.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:25 PM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation
Why switch engine series if you don't have to? 351W is an easy platform to work with, without the hassle of series change--transmission, mounts, etc.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:54 AM
BigBlueWindsor
New User
Originally Posted by One eyed Jumpin Jack View Post
Why not?

The 335 series are good engines and that is a nice looking unit, although better in 400 form. If you can make it work then go for it. It'll certainly be different. Different is cool. At least you're not going SBC. That's blasphemy.
You're experimenting and learnign from experience. More power to you.
Thank you! Definitely part of the reason I did the swap. Itís very unique. ďBow tie till I dieĒ = 🤮

Old 07-17-2019, 01:58 AM
BigBlueWindsor
New User
Update

Finally figured out a motor mount solution! Cut off and drilled out old motor mount stud, made 1-1/4 spacer, and welded a long bolt all the way through. Got them on today and work great with plenty of clearance.

Also have an aluminum shroud with two electric fans, wiring kit, aluminum overflow tank, and water pump pulley nose cover that will all be here this week. Rumor has it that I can gain 8hp from electric fans 😂

Will post pics soon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.