Notices
Oil & Lubrication  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$2.22 quart Mercon V

Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Fifty150
Elder User
Fifty150 has a great reputation on FTE.Fifty150 has a great reputation on FTE.Fifty150 has a great reputation on FTE.Fifty150 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
generic brand AFT bought in 55 gallon drums, that all it needed with an additive to make it Mercon V compatible. No thanks-
That just doesn't sound right. I don't believe that a magic additive can make generic ATF into Mercon V.

Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Max-Life motor oil--which I've been using for close to 10 years myself.
Last night I ordered a 6 gallon box of Castrol GTX MAGNATEC full synthetic oil for $89. Amazon.com Prime shipping. That's right about the same price as what the Valvoline oil goes for. 6 gallon box is suppose to be better for the environment. But there's no real savings, as the regular price is $140.

I like that Havoline now sells 6 quarts of oil in a box.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Fifty150 View Post
That just doesn't sound right. I don't believe that a magic additive can make generic ATF into Mercon V.
That's kinda my same thoughts too---but then again when a rebuilder shares he's used that sort of converter for quite a long time and never had an issue with it in anything he's rebuilt I have to think there might be some validity to it being possible.

And yes the 6 gallon bags would be more environmentally friendly--instead of 24 plastic quart bottles you'd have the cardboard box and the "bag" which would account for less material in the recycling bins.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:21 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
to me it simply says its not sold in any Ford-branded packaging.
It means that they aren't paying Ford for verifying the formulation and subsequently paying Ford for the right to advertise that it's "Ford-approved". They're basically staking their own reputation on its suitability for the named applications independent of Ford's paid-for blessing.

For those who prefer (and in California), they do offer a Ford-licensed Mercon-V formulation. https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...v-applications

I just bought a 6-pack of gallons of the Maxlife ATF from Walmart last month, about a week before this thread started. Wish the timing had been better as I have four vehicles that can take Mercon V (3 can take Mercon/Dex3) but my '15 Explorer requires Mercon LV. It will get its first drain and fill tomorrow. Man, that stuff stinks!

Old 07-03-2019, 08:38 AM
Fifty150
Elder User
Fifty150 has a great reputation on FTE.Fifty150 has a great reputation on FTE.Fifty150 has a great reputation on FTE.Fifty150 has a great reputation on FTE.
That's the Valvoline Mercon V I bought. It is not a licensed product. Clearly stated on the bottle, and product information sheet.

Valvoline MaxLife says on the bottle and online that Valvoline recommends it for Mercon LV. It's not licensed either.

I am using Valvoline MaxLife in a Ford 6F35. Works. No immediate problem. I don't expect a long term problem.

I think that when you hear about multi-vehicle ATF causing damage, it's because the fluid is Dex/Merc, and the transmission is not. Low viscosity, CVT, Mercon V , Honda ...... Could all have issues with Dex/Merc.

Look for Independence Day sales and coupons. Amazon Prime Day is coming up. Keep an eye out for 75W140 gear oil for limited slip differentials.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Fifty150
Elder User
To compete with Amazon Prime Day sales, Walmart has Mobil 1 for $19.99 for 5 quart jug, and Havoline 6 quart box full synthetic for $18.97.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-A...-5-qt/17034374

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Havoline-...6-qt/807045416

Walmart sent an inbox coupon for $10. That sweetens the deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.