Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

3.0L Powerstroke Option - Why would you choose it?

Notices
3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

3.0L Powerstroke Option - Why would you choose it?

Old 09-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Slowlearner
Senior User
Slowlearner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by djtepe View Post
Sounds like a bunch of anti-3.0 powerstroke dudes is more about the vocation that they’ve chosen than anything else. Anyone driven it here or is it pure speculation? I’ve driven it and it’s pretty impressive. Will it pull 10000 lbs? I wouldn’t buy it to do that on a regular basis. My 5.0 is supposed to get 19 mpg but it gets about 14. If the 3.0 gets 25 mpg that’s a huge savings over the 5.0 as I put a tuner on it to “fix” what Ford has done to tame it down. But then again I didn’t buy it to save $ on gas and such (yeah, the vocation thing again). So, go test drive it and give everyone a better picture instead of letting us know how your money situation is and a bunch of “lol” crap.
My post was not intended to "bash" the 3.0L, but to beg the question, because "on paper" it has essentially no advantage over the 3.5L Ecoboost. Ford's specs state that is has less power, less torque and the "rated" fuel mileage advantage is almost entirely offset by the cost premium of diesel fuel over gas.

Comparing the F150 diesel to a full-size / heavy duty truck (of any make) is really apples to oranges, albeit I understand why one would compare them given the relative price point and capabilities. I would venture to say that the F150 is priced higher (relatively speaking) than a SuperDuty because Ford is targeting a consumer that is willing to pay more. i.e. there are plenty of drivers out there that want a nice 1/2 ton truck that can be (more) easily daily driven than a SuperDuty. In the region that I live, it is somewhat of a chore to drive a SuperDuty daily, the roads and parking spaces around here just don't cater to larger vehicles. For that reason, i'd speculate their are many drivers that would not even consider a SuperDuty in their purchase evaluation.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:45 AM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know if anyone is particularly trying to bash the 3.0...certainly not me, though to answer the question "Why would you choose it?" I really don't know why. It cost more than the available 3.5 EB which has higher power and torque numbers. The EPA ratings for mpg aren't huge over the 3.5 EB though I doubt anyone buying a platinum (3.0 not available in the XLT) is real concerned about the slightly better fuel economy. Plus it has a timing belt which will bring you back to the shop in 150k miles for a nice bill. And that's not the only belt. The high pressure fuel pump is belt driven on the back of the engine.

I like running diesels ...have a 2002 diesel and really like it. I just have a hard time imagining why anyone would choose the 3.0 in the current F150 lineup.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Slowlearner
Senior User
Slowlearner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by '65Ford View Post
I don't know if anyone is particularly trying to bash the 3.0...certainly not me, though to answer the question "Why would you choose it?" I really don't know why. It cost more than the available 3.5 EB which has higher power and torque numbers. The EPA ratings for mpg aren't huge over the 3.5 EB though I doubt anyone buying a platinum (3.0 not available in the XLT) is real concerned about the slightly better fuel economy. Plus it has a timing belt which will bring you back to the shop in 150k miles for a nice bill. And that's not the only belt. The high pressure fuel pump is belt driven on the back of the engine.

I like running diesels ...have a 2002 diesel and really like it. I just have a hard time imagining why anyone would choose the 3.0 in the current F150 lineup.
We're on the same page

Old 09-08-2018, 09:47 AM
FiveOJester
Senior User
FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FiveOJester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On the timing belt topic, if you look thru the new Coffee Table Book for the 3.0, the High Pressure Pump is driven off a separate belt, in the BACK of the motor. It's at least driven off the cam so it shouldn't be terrible to access. I know the 6.0 HPP looked terrible to access in the back under the turbo, but in reality wasn't that bad.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/downlo...bleBookDTS.pdf

Old 05-13-2019, 09:42 PM
grende7581
Junior User
grende7581 is starting off with a positive reputation.
All points above are valid. The only reason I would consider getting the 3.0 would for endurance.

Living in Florida, there a limit number of routes to get out (unless you live in the panhandle). The herd mentality of people, means they all wait until the same time to leave. The 3.0 with 48gal extended range tank gives you a range of 1175 miles (47gals usable x 25mpg= 1175 miles). Not that you'd need to travel that far, but the additional time it buys you could be useful in evacuation traffic. After Hurricane Irma I heard many stories of people running out of gas on the interstate or not being able to find stations with gas. Also people had to travel further just to find a room.

Not to mention finding fuel after the storm. I was in NJ after Hurricane Sandy, and finding gas was huge issue; if a gas station had power, most stations did not have gas, but they did have diesel. So, the best argument I can make for the 3.0 is get the 48gal extended range tank and you'll have some serious range in a pinch. So you'd be paying $4K more for the 'just in case' situation. Just my 2 cents. .

Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Where are you getting the large 48 gallon fuel tank size? Certainly not available from Ford. The extended range 36 gallon is NOT available from Ford with the diesel.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 PM
grende7581
Junior User
grende7581 is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/70...RoCM7QQAvD_BwE

I have 48 gal Titan in my '08 F-350 and it's great having the extra range. Although at the time of my install titan customer service was lacking.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by grende7581 View Post
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/70...RoCM7QQAvD_BwE

I have 48 gal Titan in my '08 F-350 and it's great having the extra range. Although at the time of my install titan customer service was lacking.
HOLY MOTHER OF FUEL TANKS!

Thats a beauty! Thanks for the link. Iím considering dumping my problem child 5.0L and going the 3.0L route for my daily driver. The cost will pay back in shorter time for the miles I drive, and by the time I reach the 100k warranty, word will be out on the timing belt replacement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: