Notices

spring clearance on Torklift uppers

Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
One of the things I respect about Torklift is they take some very basic ideas, package them well, and then market the crap out of them. For example, the Stableloads both upper and lower can be duplicated at home with a little planning for those who have the time and inclination. Here is an older link with some things folks have done to imitate the Stableload Uppers https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm.

I'm going to do my own uppers as I can make them the exact size I need, but will have the camper on the truck the next couple of weeks so it will have to wait until I get back.

The one thing I did learn about Torklift is, if you call into tech support there is a fairly good chance you will be talking to someone who has very little idea about their products or how they are installed so if it seems like your question is basic and they seem slow to respond, you might ask if there is someone else there you can talk to who does installing. I should have figured that out the first time I called in when I had a problem with tie downs and was told I had to move the gas tank. This last time when I was asked for pictures I refused as the issue was just too basic and got right to someone who actually knew their product.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:37 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
In follow-up, I contacted Torklift and they are refunding the full purchase price of the Stable Loads I was not able to use under their 30 day satisfaction guarantee on this product. They responded promptly with no argument about my concerns.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.
How many miles on the spring pack?
I have 2 inches clearance on my new truck.
Have you thought about having the springs cold arched if they are getting a bit tired?

Old 07-13-2019, 12:11 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ricohman View Post
How many miles on the spring pack?
I have 2 inches clearance on my new truck.
Have you thought about having the springs cold arched if they are getting a bit tired?
61,000 miles with about 75-80% running empty box or at most lightly loaded, seems kind of soon to need springs rearched, although that would be one approach. Another would be using the Lower Stable Loads instead of the uppers, but I wasn't looking for much change.

Even with 2"s on your new truck if you don't cut the Stable Loads down you will be riding your upper overloads constantly (they take 2 5/8" out of the box". I researched the crap out of this on multiple forums and the most common complaint with the Stable Loads is slapping the overloads and riding too hard so the satisfaction is not universal with them. it did seem clear to me that folks did not want to be riding the overloads empty, so it kind of came down to how much do I want to change to use Stable Loads and my thought is not that much.

Right now we just loaded our Northstar and the pad is riding about 1/8" above the upper spring. That is with the Sumo bumpstops in place. I might try it with the stock bumpstops in place although when we were running with our Hallmark porpoising was much worse than with the Sumos installed. We haven't had this truck/camper combination out enough to work the bugs out of it. It will just take some time.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-13-2019, 01:38 PM
Rich1961
Junior User
Rich1961 is starting off with a positive reputation.
RV Tech,
Have you thought about adding another spring to the upper overload spring to get it to contact the stock frame pads sooner?

Old 07-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Rich1961
Junior User
Rich1961 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:07 PM
skanj0
Elder User
skanj0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Rich1961 View Post
I tried those on my 2006. They dont stay in place because they are not centrally clamped with a center pin. The oem auxiliary springs taper so the Hellwig ubolts ‘walk’ outward until they end up out near the the contact pad. Ended-up having to duct tape and zip tie them on to make it home from a trip.

The best option is to either have a spring shop add a second auxiliary leaf, or just add a second oem auxiliary spring yourself. I found on the 2011-2016 trucks, an auxiliary spring from a 2005-2007 truck aligns nicely. Then you increase the ability for the auxiliary springs to support a load without hurting the unloaded ride quality.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:12 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
I don't want to do anything that will stiffen the ride when running empty. I have plenty of capacity for our NorthStar with stock suspension. There are many ways to engage the upper overloads, the trick for me is not to engage them so much we are riding on them empty. Thinking about it, if I had simply gone one step softer with the Sumo Springs I would have gotten a little more drop loaded.

A lot of folks just make their own spacers instead of spending on Stable Loads. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: