Notices
6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Thinking of changing my own oil.

Old Today, 09:59 AM
Squisher
Elder User
Squisher has a good reputation on FTE.Squisher has a good reputation on FTE.
I know a lot of people love those fumoto valves. But I've never been quite able to motivate myself to buy/install one. I've been doing my own oil changes for 28years and assisted my dad for close to eight before I had my own first licensed vehicle. And call me crazy but after owning more different types of trucks, cars, bikes and boats then I can recall I've never had any issues just removing the drain plug and putting it back after the oil is out.

As a motor head through and through there is nothing much simpler than. Doing an oil change.

Shop time, is good times.

My truck is levelled with 35"s and I don't think I'd want to be wrestling a five gallon pail in and out from under it. I use a oil drain pan. The right tool for the job, the tool made for the job.

Old Today, 10:08 AM
Squisher
Elder User
Here's some perspective on paying people to change your oil. My 14 year old daughters first real job was at a quick change oil change shop and she had probably more mechanical experience than nine out of ten of the other employees.

Old Today, 10:11 AM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
geekwithoutacause is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
I know a lot of people love those fumoto valves. But I've never been quite able to motivate myself to buy/install one. I've been doing my own oil changes for 28years and assisted my dad for close to eight before I had my own first licensed vehicle. And call me crazy but after owning more different types of trucks, cars, bikes and boats then I can recall I've never had any issues just removing the drain plug and putting it back after the oil is out.

As a motor head through and through there is nothing much simpler than. Doing an oil change.

Shop time, is good times.

My truck is levelled with 35"s and I don't think I'd want to be wrestling a five gallon pail in and out from under it. I use a oil drain pan. The right tool for the job, the tool made for the job.
Don't need a 5 gallon pail. You need 2 -1 gallon jugs. Old oil jugs.
I used to think the same thing until I installed a valve on my beater which drove lots of miles. Never regretted it. Great improvement. Now I install them on every vehicle I have.
And for the people who change oil outside in a windy area, it's a big advantage. No oil flying around with that unexpected wind gust.

Old Today, 10:12 AM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
Here's some perspective on paying people to change your oil. My 14 year old daughters first real job was at a quick change oil change shop and she had probably more mechanical experience than nine out of ten of the other employees.
I believe it. They aint touching my vehicles.

Old Today, 10:22 AM
Squisher
Elder User
You do make a valid point for outdoor oil changes. Although two 1gallon catch jugs seems like a recipe for spillage, unless you have the fancy valve. For me inside, oil drain pan, full mechanics chest at my disposal it's not a problem to remove the drain plug.

What do these fumoto valves cost nowadays? That was always one of the hang ups for me. Was the cost to replace something I had no issues with. I change my two trucks, my wife's car, three street and two dirt bikes, two tractors, utility quad, endless gear box's, etc, etc,etc. A fumoto valve for any one of them just has no real appeal to me. Although I will admit to sometimes cussing aloud when I don't grab the proper wrench on the first try.

I'm not saying if someone didn't give me a fumoto valve that I wouldn't use it. But I guess I'm old school that way in that ......l might not. Lol.

Old Today, 10:31 AM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
You do make a valid point for outdoor oil changes. Although two 1gallon catch jugs seems like a recipe for spillage, unless you have the fancy valve. For me inside, oil drain pan, full mechanics chest at my disposal it's not a problem to remove the drain plug.

What do these fumoto valves cost nowadays? That was always one of the hang ups for me. Was the cost to replace something I had no issues with. I change my two trucks, my wife's car, three street and two dirt bikes, two tractors, utility quad, endless gear box's, etc, etc,etc. A fumoto valve for any one of them just has no real appeal to me. Although I will admit to sometimes cussing aloud when I don't grab the proper wrench on the first try.

I'm not saying if someone didn't give me a fumoto valve that I wouldn't use it. But I guess I'm old school that way in that ......l might not. Lol.
I think I got mine for 25 bucks, with locking clip. It can get better. I have another vehicle which has the oil filter on top of the engine. No oil leaks out of the filter. Don't need any bucket. I change that oil in less than 5 minutes total with 0 spills, no oil dumping out of a pan. It's already in a 5 qrt jug.

Yeah, I don't install the fumoto on any of the other engines I use. If it's a machine that only needs 1 oil change a year it's usually not worth it to me.

Old Today, 10:51 AM
River Wild
Elder User
River Wild is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.River Wild is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've used fumoto valves for years on my trucks. This time I went with the EZ Valve instead. Same thing but uses a different gasket. $24. There is really no reason not to use one of these valves if you do it yourself. No mess and you just need a oil filter wrench. Just makes it easier and cleaner...

Old Today, 10:54 AM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
Originally Posted by River Wild View Post
I've used fumoto valves for years on my trucks. This time I went with the EZ Valve instead. Same thing but uses a different gasket. $24. There is really no reason not to use one of these valves if you do it yourself. No mess and you just need a oil filter wrench. Just makes it easier and cleaner...
no mess when you unscrew that oil filter ?

Old Today, 11:15 AM
Squisher
Elder User
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using a valve for oil changes. I'm just saying I don't believe it's for me. I don't make a big ole mess with the plug and I do my changes at home. In my leisure. There's certainly no rush/pressure on me that I can't just undo the drain plug vs turning a valve. They're not that common around here I'd be willing to wager(southern interior bc, Canada), but maybe increasingly so with the uprise of the interwebs? My best buds family owns a local wreckers which is where I learned to become a Motörhead growing up. And in all my time spent there salvaging and exploring I've never come across one. Maybe people with valves take good enough care of their stuff that they never wear out.......or wreck.

Old Today, 11:50 AM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using a valve for oil changes. I'm just saying I don't believe it's for me. I don't make a big ole mess with the plug and I do my changes at home. In my leisure. There's certainly no rush/pressure on me that I can't just undo the drain plug vs turning a valve. They're not that common around here I'd be willing to wager(southern interior bc, Canada), but maybe increasingly so with the uprise of the interwebs? My best buds family owns a local wreckers which is where I learned to become a Motörhead growing up. And in all my time spent there salvaging and exploring I've never come across one. Maybe people with valves take good enough care of their stuff that they never wear out.......or wreck.
haha. No I don't think they are widely used here either. Probably by the DIY'er and even those, not all use it.
I figure this day and age the percentage of people changing their own oil vs having the oil changed at a shop is quite small. Heck, most people growing up nowadays don't even know how to open the hood or change a tire !

Old Today, 12:06 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
With my new 2019 6.2L, I'm thinking of changing my own oil at home. Been about a decade since I've done this. It looks so simple on the F250. Everything is out in the open.

Any tips or tricks you can share?

Have some mobile 1, Ford filter, grease gun.

Are people using a bucket to catch the used oil? Just the two grease fittings or are there more? Anything else to share?

Going back to changing my oil because it's a minimum of an hour at the dealership with their Quicklane. Generally more. Seems like I can do it myself faster.

Bruce
Bruce,

Ford revised their MY2019 spec for the 6.2’s 5W-30 engine oil. The new spec is WSS-M2C946-B1, which I believe is Ford-speak for API SN+ (SN Plus). Motorcraft 5W-30 semi-syn meets this spec, as does Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old Today, 12:35 PM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post
Bruce,

Ford revised their MY2019 spec for the 5W-30 engine oil for the 6.2. The new spec is WSS-M2C946-B1, which I believe is Ford-speak for API SN+ (SN Plus). Motorcraft 5W-30 semi-syn meets this spec, as does Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Thanks Jim,

That is the exact version or type of Mobile 1 that I purchased. They certainly offer plenty of choices in the Mobile 1 brand.

Bruce

Old Today, 01:23 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
52 years,
say average one oil change a day...
5 days a week
50 weeks a year.

where is the He!! is the calculator when you need one..

just saying..

lets not talk about cartridge oil filters.. and oil bath air filters..
I never ever want to do another oil bath air filter...

Old Today, 04:30 PM
Jack4x
Junior User
Jack4x is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause View Post
Yeah, did you install it ? Does it even stick out at all ? the one with the extended nipple for a hose?
Barely, although I don't have the extended one. I really am not worried at all about something hitting it both with enough force and at the correct angle to open it. If that happens, I've got bigger problems.

Old Today, 04:35 PM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
I don't think opening is the issue. More like a rock ripping it out of the tread.
Doubt that would happen. It's not where I take a 3/4 ton truck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: