Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine smoking after swap

Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 PM
oharal
Senior User
oharal is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Its white smoke? And it does it at idle? Is it also idling rough?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
No need to pull the turbo off or apart. Just pull the intake hose off the inlet and check it.
White smoke I would suspect is fuel pressure or sticking injector. Chances of it being head gasket or almost none.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:48 PM
chasteen1156
Freshman User
chasteen1156 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by HD Rider View Post
No need to pull the turbo off or apart. Just pull the intake hose off the inlet and check it.
White smoke I would suspect is fuel pressure or sticking injector. Chances of it being head gasket or almost none.
It is white smoke and it idles perfect. Would low fuel pressure cause the white smoke. I would think that it is too much fuel to cause the smoke. I could certainly be wrong though. I will hook up the fuel pressure gauge this weekend and verify the pressure.

Old Today, 09:31 AM
chasteen1156
Freshman User
chasteen1156 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So I took the truck for a drive down the street. I got about a block away and it shut down to running on 4 cylinders. I checked the codes and it says the left bank is high. I have already replaced the UVCH on that side with new FORD parts. Will the IDM shut down all 4 cylinders if one injector goes bad? IF so how do I get it to reset? Will clearing the codes reset the IDM? What would be the recommended way to figure out which injector it is?

Old Today, 01:11 PM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
That's my understanding of how the idm works when it drops a bank. As to figuring out which injector, i want to say it's as simple as unplugging one at a time?

Old Today, 02:31 PM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
A buzz test should tell you which injector is causing the problem.
My bet is on a loose connector. Check the plug at the valve cover. Same thing happened to me on the same side. The connector to the valve cover on the outside was not clipped in tight.

Old Today, 02:45 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Unplug the MAT sensor, located in middle of spider. Can do it with engine idling to see if smoke clears

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.