Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1985 f-250 460 or 351w

Old 05-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Mcfaddju032100
New User
Mcfaddju032100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well I think Iíll just work on the 460 and see what I could do to make it better on gas I know nothing magical will happen but if yíall know anything to make it better Iíd love to hear it and then eventually Iíll just get a 351 and put it in a late 60s mustang

Old 05-17-2019, 04:14 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Odisvan View Post
Yet another AARP type thought (because I am old), if some idiot hits you and totals out your truck, you'll get book value. Something to think about on an 85 you're about to invest $7500 in. Look up book value if you're unsure. I drove my 84 f150 home for $800, and have my $300 90 F150 running now, and drove my 97 supercab home at $2K. I know, I know "I'll NEVER sell MINE!"....and you might have ZERO intentions, but guess what happens if you do get hit. It's straight up simple math, no matter what. If the dollars to repair add up to around 70% of book, you get book regardless.
Originally Posted by The_Scatch View Post
You should be able to get an adjusted policy for after market modifications or antique/collectors vehicles. I have talked to my insurance about that. You are correct, basic daily liability policy your getting $5000.
True but you have to watch some of the policies & plates as there is a restriction on when / where and how often you can use the truck.

I got my 81 flare for $800 I cant even tell you how much money I have into it so far and it needs more and will not get into the hours I put into it that also needs more.
I can not / will not insure it for book value but what will help me is I have all the paid bills and pictures of what has been done from the day I got it home to now.
This will help me when I get it insured.
Dave ----

Old 05-17-2019, 04:23 PM
matthewq4b
Postmaster
matthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to allmatthewq4b is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mcfaddju032100 View Post
well I think Iíll just work on the 460 and see what I could do to make it better on gas I know nothing magical will happen but if yíall know anything to make it better Iíd love to hear it and then eventually Iíll just get a 351 and put it in a late 60s mustang
Unless you are going to do a piston an head swap there won't be many gains to be had.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Mcfaddju032100
New User
Originally Posted by matthewq4b View Post
Unless you are going to do a piston an head swap there won't be many gains to be had.
So what do I do itís pretty split down the middle just go with the 351w or...

Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Ken Blythen
Posting Guru
Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.
So what do I do itís pretty split down the middle just go with the 351w or...
What do propane conversions cost over there? How much of a difference is there between the cost of propane & gas? Here it would be economic to convert.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 PM
Mcfaddju032100
New User
Iím not sure I live in Wyoming would putting propane change the way the engine sounds at all cause Iíd like to keep the sound of the classic v8 and how well do those efi kits help

Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Ken Blythen
Posting Guru
Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.Ken Blythen has a very good reputation on FTE.
No, you would still have a typical V8 tone, although it might be a bit softer..........propane operates better at higher compression than gas.

I've had no experience with bolt-on EFI

Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 PM
The_Scatch
Senior User
The_Scatch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Iím not sure I live in Wyoming would putting propane change the way the engine sounds at all cause Iíd like to keep the sound of the classic v8 and how well do those efi kits help
The efi kits self adjust so you will get a little, you get more benefit with driveability as it tunes as it goes(requires ow sensor) vs a carb that is set. You would probably see more mog gains from overdrive if you don't have it than from an efi kit. I've been looking into EFI kits for a couple months myself and there is no solid reviews on mpg gains it seems to be a YMMV situation.

I have a 300 six and I think EFI systems bolt to 4bbl intakes, so if I went EFI it's new intakes, new exhaust, new distributor and gut the computer.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 PM
Mcfaddju032100
New User
Originally Posted by The_Scatch View Post
The efi kits self adjust so you will get a little, you get more benefit with driveability as it tunes as it goes(requires ow sensor) vs a carb that is set. You would probably see more mog gains from overdrive if you don't have it than from an efi kit. I've been looking into EFI kits for a couple months myself and there is no solid reviews on mpg gains it seems to be a YMMV situation.

I have a 300 six and I think EFI systems bolt to 4bbl intakes, so if I went EFI it's new intakes, new exhaust, new distributor and gut the computer.
Well from research I was thinking of doing that too cause if i was to get the zf5 and do that it would be quite better than the 7-8 mpg I have I ainít looking for something crazy with the mpg just somewhere sitting in the 12-15 range

Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 PM
Ken Blythen
Posting Guru
just somewhere sitting in the 12-15 range

I think you'll struggle to average 12-15 mpg with a 4WD, 460, F250

Old 05-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Well from research I was thinking of doing that too cause if i was to get the zf5 and do that it would be quite better than the 7-8 mpg I have I ainít looking for something crazy with the mpg just somewhere sitting in the 12-15 range
What tire size are you running? The best for fuel mileage will be the stock 235/85/16 tires with no lift. If you have wide wheels and tires on it, that is going to hurt mileage, even though it looks better.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 AM
Mcfaddju032100
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
What tire size are you running? The best for fuel mileage will be the stock 235/85/16 tires with no lift. If you have wide wheels and tires on it, that is going to hurt mileage, even though it looks better.
Everything is stock except what needs to be changed on a 35 year old truck even then everything is oem

Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 AM
Mcfaddju032100
New User
Originally Posted by Ken Blythen View Post
I think you'll struggle to average 12-15 mpg with a 4WD, 460, F250
Thatís why I was pondering swapping it with a 351win

Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Thatís why I was pondering swapping it with a 351win
Here is my take on small motors over large motors in a large heavy truck.
Everyone thinks because smaller = better MPG may want to rethink that.

The truck still weighs the same, has the same gears and has to push the same amount of air out of the way moving down the road with either motor right?
The large motor has to hardly work, foot not on the gas pedal a far, to keep the same speed on flat or up hills.
Now put a smaller motor in and to keep that same speed you have to have your foot deeper on the pedal, read use more gas.

The 460 has a lot of TQ at lower RPM because of the longer stroke over the smaller 351 shorter stroke.
So if you can lower the RPM some on the 460 it will use less gas and still have power when you need it, not so with the 351in my book.
Now hook a trailer and load the bed and you will be really working the little 351 over the 460.

What you need to do is find the sweet spot (RPM) of that 460, to pick a number lets say 1800 RPM
Now what speed do you travel at most 60, 65, 70 MPH mostly?
You now have to figure what the RPM is at NOW at that mostly traveled MPH.
Then you can figure out what needs to be done to get to the sweet spot RPM at that MPH.

You may find you need to go with an OD trany (ZF) or do the Advance Adaptor unit (tq spliter) and change the gearing front & rear because of the 4x4 to get the motor in the sweet spot.
What I like about the splitter is if you find you are now running at a slower MPH and out of the sweet spot in say 4th OD you can go back to direct drive, 4th, and get back in to the sweet spot.
Slow down more drop down 1 lower gear, 3rd in the trany and shift into OD, 3rd OD and be in the sweet spot.
The only draw back of the splitter that people had posted and I had on a Toyota LC that had a splitter is, something the split between direct gear & OD gear is so close it may not be worth splitting it.
You will know this when you start using the OD and splitting gears.
On my LC it was 2nd direct to 2nd OD was so close it was not worth splitting unless I had a heavy load and even then you had to watch.

Just something to think about in all this gearing and tranys.
Dave ----

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.