Notices

Overload springs out...airbags in??

Old 07-05-2019, 06:51 PM
skanj0
Elder User
skanj0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Watsy View Post
Interesting..I haven't run across these before. That would stop the slapping for sure.
Trailer rides level now with about 2 inches of squat but with these installed it should still squat enough to keep it close..
Do you notice much empty ride quality difference with them?
Thanks for the input..
Cheers
Oh yes. You want to pull them off when empty or it will ride like a lumber wagon. Takes about 15 mins. You can jack up the rear of the truck with a floor jack by placing it under the box hitch. Or you can use a 3 foot section of 2x4 and just pry the auxiliary leaf down ling enough the slip the Stable Load out. Rather than putting the oem contact pads back in I put in some Energy Suspension bump stops I bought. They are about 2.5 inch diameter and 1 inch thick. They have others that are 3/8 inch thick or so.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Rich1961
Junior User
Rich1961 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went with the SuperSprings Sway Stops as they were adjustable compared to the TorkLifts. They come in 3 pieces, with the center piece being a 1" spacer if you want the bump stops closer to the spring unloaded. I chose to leave the 1" spacer out, and the space between the spring and spring stop is a little over 1-1/4". My truck had to drop a little over 3" until the spring contacted, now it contacts sooner under load and has raised the loaded height about 5/8" with the 5th wheel connected. Unloaded, the ride did not change. The picture below shows the springs unloaded, and the bottom is with 2900 lbs pin weight.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:40 PM
jav_eee
Elder User
jav_eee has a good reputation on FTE.jav_eee has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by skanj0
Why not install a set of Torklift upper Stable Loads to pre-load the upper auxiliary springs so they don't slap? I would go this route versus removing them and adding air bags. Air bags are great if you dont have the oem upper auxiliary springs, but since you do, I would maximize them. My experience has been that bags eventually wear out as rubber cracks and air leaks develop.
How long does that take because I've had my bags for years.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:12 PM
acadianbob
Elder User
acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Maybe I'm hard of hearing but I never hear anything from my overloads. They're about 1/2 inch away from touching with the 5er connected.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Watsy
Junior User
Watsy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Maybe I'm hard of hearing but I never hear anything from my overloads. They're about 1/2 inch away from touching with the 5er connected.
Mine are compressed about an inch so maybe with that preload they slap back when the axle moves enough.
Never hear it unloaded.
Like the idea of thicker and possibly softer bump stops than the stock ones.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:51 PM
skanj0
Elder User
Originally Posted by jav_eee View Post
How long does that take because I've had my bags for years.
My Airlift 5000s lasted less than 2 years on my 06 F250 with a truck camper. They dont like the high center of gravity side to side rocking - especially when offroad and at 90-95 psi, which is what I needed for the camper weight. They seem to last longer with 5th wheels where there is less side to side rocking, and more of a consistent vertical load. Still, steel springs last much longer, dont change pressure with temp, and you dont have to think/worry about them as much.

Just my perspective.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:52 PM
skanj0
Elder User
Mine are compressed about an inch so maybe with that preload they slap back when the axle moves enough.
Never hear it unloaded.
Like the idea of thicker and possibly softer bump stops than the stock ones.
Thats the key. Either keep them engaged and working, or keep them clear of the contact pads.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:40 AM
dkegel
New User
dkegel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was thinking about this today and am now wondering if perhaps something else is making the noises you are hearing. The overload springs rest on/contact rubber bump stops. They normally do not make any noise. I've also never heard anyone else mention this issue (not that I exhaustively scoured the internet). Perhaps it's not the springs you are hearing?

Dave

Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM
skanj0
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post
I was thinking about this today and am now wondering if perhaps something else is making the noises you are hearing. The overload springs rest on/contact rubber bump stops. They normally do not make any noise. I've also never heard anyone else mention this issue (not that I exhaustively scoured the internet). Perhaps it's not the springs you are hearing?

Dave
There have been discussions off and on over the years within the FTE forums about this issue. It seems to have gotten more prevalent over time, probably as the motors, exhausts, and other noises have decreased on these trucks, and at the same time the rear spring packs are getting more and more supple to keep people from complaining about the ride of the new F350 they just bought.

Some refer to it as a slapping, some a banging, and some a clunk. Easy way to confirm. Put a dab of grease on the contact pad and go for a ride on a bumpy road with an unloaded truck. If the grease is flattened then the upper auxiliary springs are periodically making contact with the frame contact pads under normal unloaded driving. My guess is they do. Some people notice it and some don't.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Watsy
Junior User
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
There have been discussions off and on over the years within the FTE forums about this issue. It seems to have gotten more prevalent over time, probably as the motors, exhausts, and other noises have decreased on these trucks, and at the same time the rear spring packs are getting more and more supple to keep people from complaining about the ride of the new F350 they just bought.

Some refer to it as a slapping, some a banging, and some a clunk. Easy way to confirm. Put a dab of grease on the contact pad and go for a ride on a bumpy road with an unloaded truck. If the grease is flattened then the upper auxiliary springs are periodically making contact with the frame contact pads under normal unloaded driving. My guess is they do. Some people notice it and some don't.
Mine only slap when I am hooked up to 5er. Unloaded they might touch if I hit a big enough hole but then everything would bang in that case.
Loaded I compress them just better than an inch. .
When the wheels drop into a frost crack ,pot hole or uneven bridge deck joint and unload the spring tension, the frame doesn't drop as fast so by the time the axle is shooting back upwards coming out of the hole and the frame is now on its way down, the two meet with a pretty violent slap. The thin stock rubber bumpers can't absorb that hit and hence the slapping/banging/clunking noise.
I do believe that if I had more weight it would take a bigger hole to separate them from the bump stops and I wouldn't hear it as often.
I have experienced this for 40 ish years driving various trucks with the upper overload/helper springs.
Now that this is actually my personal truck I want to fix it..

Old 07-13-2019, 06:06 AM
jsm180
Posting Guru
jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.
What are you running for shocks? Starting to sound like a shock problem to me.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
Watsy
Junior User
Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
What are you running for shocks? Starting to sound like a shock problem to me.
Stock shocks still but no indication of them being wore out. Truck rides fine when empty.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Stock shocks still but no indication of them being wore out. Truck rides fine when empty.
One of my stock OEM non-Rancho branded shocks was blown out with less than 5,000 miles on the truck. Take one of them off and check the rebound. Or, just assume that they're all bad and replace them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.