Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Need tuning advice

Old 07-15-2019, 11:55 AM
jjriley97
Senior User
jjriley97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So glad I'm not the only one.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post
Last year I had a mysterious starting problem, until the rotor button fell out of my shirt pocket. LOL
That's weird. I noticed my truck won't start without the coil wire, for some strange reason Hm..

Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 PM
BarnieTrk
Posting Guru
BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BarnieTrk is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Old Coyote View Post
Last year I had a mysterious starting problem, until the rotor button fell out of my shirt pocket. LOL
Been There - Done That!

Ah, the memories of tuning days gone by........ !

BarnieTrk

Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 AM
jjriley97
Senior User
jjriley97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk View Post
Been There - Done That!

Ah, the memories of tuning days gone by........ !

BarnieTrk

It has been a fun learning experience so far. I put the nail in the coffin this go around last night. First I verified the fuel pressure was good at 5 PSI. I kept looking and found another issue and the dieseling and rough idle are now dialed out. The engine does not shake anymore and runs very smooth. When I put the carb back together, the linkage shown in the pic had come loose at the red arrow. It was causing the accelerator pedal to be harder to push at low speed and It was binding the accelerator pump/metering rod assembly and holding the carb at wide open throttle some times and working normal at others. I found reference to this issue happening to a couple other people during a rebuild through a google search so it was the first place I checked. You could kick the gas pedal and get it to come down most of the time, but not always and the idle was almost always high. This was causing the dieseling issues since there was almost always excess fuel. I took the carb off, bent the linkage slightly so it fit better and put it back together ensuring it would not come loose again. I did final adjustments on the air mixture and idle screws and then put about 50 miles on her last night, stopping a few times and shutting it down and restarting along the way. No dieseling or high idle at all so I am pronouncing this one road worthy again. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.