Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Double Din Android head unit Installation in E-350?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 AM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Jungleexplorer

Your description of the ďstate of the economyĒ is much more negative than what the rest of us Americans are experiencing. Iím not saying every point is wrong- not at all.
But for sure your post focused on the negative and exaggerated (no way was your son making $6/hr as a paramedic - no way at all. Federal minimum wage is higher than that). The inflation stuff I totally agree.

Maybe its because youíre a ď60 mile round tripĒ to civilization.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:19 AM
dashstiffrod
New User
dashstiffrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
Some days I feel really, really old and out of place. From no running water or bathroom as a child and now here we are. I had to look up what an Atoto is, only to discover it's basically another entertainment doodad that is just a nicety.

It then brought out arguments about resellers of products made by others, with the actual labor often being performed by those who could never afford the products they toil away making. All the while being posted on an internet forum that requires everybody using to have even more doodads to do so, along with obviously spare time to participate. From a blue-collar maintenance background, on call 24-7, I never had the spare time or electronic devices for such. The internet and this site is wonderful for some valuable information, and is a great help.

Working in electrical generation and distribution since the sixties, I have assisted way too many times in shutting off industrial sites from the grid. Depressing.

I used to look at all the middlemen from the manufacturers to the buyer with some disdain and wondered why not just be able to buy from the manufacturer? We are almost there, and it has not helped the laborers at the bottom and has done away with many middlemen. I sometimes feel a little guilty that has enabled me to afford things from the backs of unseen, far away cheap labor.

Meanwhile, my extended family, including some my age, are all over various social media, arguing about anything and everything, while being able to be an expert on anything due to info at their fingertips, then asking me to troubleshoot and repair simple appliances, plumbing, electrical, or whatever device that really makes life easier, although it would put me in often very uncomfortable, dangerous, or physically demanding situations at my age.

Pardon the rant. Please keep your eyes on the road, not some entertainment device.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:23 AM
wirelessengineer
Elder User
wirelessengineer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by jungleexplorer View Post
To be perfectly honest, I have tried them every time I needed something in this category and they have come up short. For example, I cannot find a single Android Head Unit of their whole site. There are some that say, "Android Compatible" but they do not offer one with an Android OS. Android is the most used OS in the world by huge margins and yet they don't offer an Android-based head unit.
Here's an article that claims to list the "Best Android Auto head units (February 2019)", and lo and behold, 3 out of the 4 "Best" are available on Crutchfield.com.

https://www.androidauthority.com/bes...-units-791179/

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_613DNX....html?skipvs=T

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV....html?skipvs=T

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVW....html?skipvs=T

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...5w&nf=KW+M855W

Old 07-14-2019, 08:27 AM
jungleexplorer
Freshman User
jungleexplorer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
Your description of the “state of the economy” is much more negative than what the rest of us Americans are experiencing. I’m not saying every point is wrong- not at all.
But for sure your post focused on the negative and exaggerated (no way was your son making $6/hr as a paramedic - no way at all. Federal minimum wage is higher than that). The inflation stuff I totally agree.

Maybe its because you’re a “60 mile round trip” to civilization.
Well, thank you for calling me a liar, with no evidence. I said he made $6 an hour, on average. This is because he had two pay scales, "Inactive duty" and "Active Duty". While sitting at the station waiting for a call, he was on "Inactive Duty" and he made $5 an hour. When a call came in and he was on that call, he was on Active Duty and made $9 an hour. He worked a 24-hour shift and on average he was on call, 4 to 6 hours of that 24 hour period.

But no matter how you slice it, he made less than $10 an hour as a highly trained professional with a wall full of certifications that has saved hundreds of peoples lives. And this is normal pay for this area. I have helped many young men with families and not one of them could find a decent job. There simply ARE none that pay more than $10 in our whole region. This is because there are no "Manufacturing" jobs. I live in an agricultural region. The only producers have 5,000 plus acres they are farming. Every other person is working in some kind of "Service" related industry. If you are not a farmer, a doctor, lawyer, or a business owner, you are making minimum wage or $10 an hour if you are lucky. I have known countless young people that have been forced to move elsewhere because that can't find a job that pays a decent wage in our area.

$10 an equals up to about 20K a year (before taxes), if you work a standard 40 workweek. The poverty level in Texas is about $29K for a family of three, and while the stats show that Texas has a low poverty level, what those stats do not calculate is how many hours a week these households are working to achieve that. Back 30 years ago, a man could work a single job for 40 hours a week and be above the poverty level. But now, that man is working 60 to 70 hours a week and his wife has a job too, just get above that poverty level line. These are undeniable facts that apply to the whole country.

The bottom line is that in 1990 I was making $10 an hour as an untrained carpenters help. Today, 30 years later, people are still making $10 on average as trained professionals, and the cost of living has jumped 300% or more. These are simply undeniable facts for most young people entering the workforce, which is why most of them have to live with their parents or share an apartment with two or three others to survive. My own daughter-in-law has a college degree from a good university and she was working in a bakery shop making minimum wage when my son married her. She has 60K in college debt and can't find a job that pays more than $10 an hour. Now she is working as a babysitter, and like me, my son is starting his own business because there is no other way he will ever make enough money to pay off her 60K school debt and support his family. This is the reality in Texas for most young people starting out.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:58 AM
jungleexplorer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wirelessengineer View Post

I said Android OS, not Android compatible.. Take for example the Kenwood DNX995S you linked to. Here is a quote from the description on the Crutchfield page:
  • Android Auto compatible (wired connection works with most Android phones)

I don't want some unit with a proprietary OS exclusive only to Kenwood. It's like my stupid Visio smart TV. It has it's own Visio proprietary OS which includes about five useful channels and about 30 other stupid channels that nobody would ever watch, no way to add more and they never upgrade it. So, I use a ROKU that has several hundreds of channels and are always adding more. I wanted a head unit with android OS so I could find and install any app I wanted to use, NOT just the ones the hardware manufacturer decided THEY want me to use. I am not saying that Crutchfield does sell one. I said that I could not FIND one on their site. So, either they don't sell one, their site is not properly designed where it is easy to find, or their product page designer failed to list this specification. Any Android unit should be listed as such and which version of Android that unit is loaded with (e.g Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS). If Crutchfield has one, they failed to list it properly. If they have a TRUE android unit, list it so I can see it.

Again, I am not saying they are bad. And stating that they carry 3 out of 4 of the "Best" head units has nothing to do with the conversation. That is someone deciding what they think I need. I know what I need, and I want what "I" want, not what someone else who is not me has decided what is best for me. I will decide what is BEST for me. Not some stranger I don't know. Give me the options and let me decide.

Again, if they have a TRUE android unit (not an android auto "Compatible" unit), list it so I can see it.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 AM
wirelessengineer
Elder User
wirelessengineer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think its clear where you are coming from. You are probably wasting your time asking for help on this forum in the future.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 AM
jungleexplorer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wirelessengineer View Post
I think its clear where you are coming from. You are probably wasting your time asking for help on this forum in the future.
And why would that be? Please explain in intelligent respectful language.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Well, thank you for calling me a liar, with no evidence. I said he made $6 an hour, on average. This is because he had two pay scales, "Inactive duty" and "Active Duty". While sitting at the station waiting for a call, he was on "Inactive Duty" and he made $5 an hour. $5/hr to sit and do no work sounds pretty decent. Probably got paid for sleep time too, right? Maybe he should have used some of that (waking) time to multitask: do something else that makes income. When a call came in and he was on that call, he was on Active Duty and made $9 an hour. He worked a 24-hour shift and on average he was on call, 4 to 6 hours of that 24 hour period. So he worked 24hr shifts, and then probably 24-48 off, right? Get a 2nd job man. Thatís what I did as a damn teenager. It comes down to DRIVE, instead of just complaining or complacency. Sounds to me like it was a very very small town with a matching budget. If you donít like small town life then leave. America is full of stories of people whose want more, and make efforts to get it.

But no matter how you slice it, he made less than $10 an hour as a highly trained professional with a wall full of certifications that has saved hundreds of peoples lives. And this is normal pay for this area. So donít complain: itís the area. Maybe you donít know this but some areas are worse off than yours- I grew up in a town so small it had VOLUNTEER paramedics. I have helped many young men with families and not one of them could find a decent job. There simply ARE none that pay more than $10 in our whole region Sounds like your region is the problem. This is because there are no "Manufacturing" jobs. I live in an agricultural region. Yup, confirmed. The only producers have 5,000 plus acres they are farming. Every other person is working in some kind of "Service" related industry so go do that. If you are not a farmer, a doctor, lawyer, or a business owner, you are making minimum wage or $10 an hour if you are lucky So become a doctor, lawyer, or business owner. I have known countless young people that have been forced to move elsewhere because that can't find a job that pays a decent wage in our area. Forced? Sounds more like ďopportunity ď - I bet all those people that have left are very happy to have a better life.

$10 an equals up to about 20K a year (before taxes), if you work a standard 40 workweek. By your own facts, your son in law was making $5/hr for about 19hrs ($95) plus $9/hr for about 5hours ($45) twice per week; thatís $14,560/Year when he was sleeping or not doing anything most of the time. Heís 73% of the $20K working/sleeping for two days per week. The poverty level in Texas is about $29K for a family of three, and while the stats show that Texas has a low poverty level, what those stats do not calculate is how many hours a week these households are working to achieve that. Back 30 years ago, a man could work a single job for 40 hours a week and be above the poverty level. ďThirty years agoĒ doesnít matter anymore fella. One must adapt to achieve success. But now, that man is working 60 to 70 hours a week and his wife has a job too exaggeration for sure, just get above that poverty level line Absolutely not mathematically sound. 60 hours even at minimum wage is $595/week which is $31,000/year. Subtract from that that the $0 taken from their paychecks for taxes- because ďthat man and his wife... kidsĒ AND THEN add in the $8,0000 tax Ďrefundí when they file their taxes... boom! $39,000 annual income for a family with just the dad working 60hrs per week at $8.50/hr.
DONT EXAGGERATE YOUR CLAIMS JUNGLEEXPLORER!!
These are undeniable facts that apply to the whole country.

The bottom line is that in 1990 I was making $10 an hour as an untrained carpenters help. Today, 30 years later, people are still making $10 on average as trained professionals, and the cost of living has jumped 300% or more. These are simply undeniable facts for most young people entering the workforce, which is why most of them have to live with their parents or share an apartment with two or three others to survive. My own daughter-in-law has a college degree from a good university and she was working in a bakery shop making minimum wage when my son married her. She has 60K in college debt What degree did she get? and can't find a job that pays more than $10 an hour. Any chance she chose a useless field of study? I know a girl with a $80000 degree in Political Science that made no use of it. Last I knew she was also making crappy paychecks. Now she is working as a babysitter, and like me, my son is starting his own business FINALLY! A ray of hope!! because there is no other way he will ever make enough money to pay off her 60K school debt and support his family. This is the reality in Texas for most young people starting out.
Jungleexplorer, see my notes in bold above.

you clearly focus on the negative instead of making success. Everyone here sees it.
We all have (have had) challenges. I grew up in a lifestyle/area very similar to what you describe. I chose to overcome it. Many people around me were (apparently) content with smoking cigarettes/pot and Livin La Vida Broke-uh.
I left town. Started a new life a thousand miles away: determined to succeed.
Its going quite well.

Reasonable success is ready to be grasped by those who reach for it.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:40 PM
jungleexplorer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post
Jungleexplorer, see my notes in bold above.

you clearly focus on the negative instead of making success. Everyone here sees it.
We all have (have had) challenges. I grew up in a lifestyle/area very similar to what you describe. I chose to overcome it. Many people around me were (apparently) content with smoking cigarettes/pot and Livin La Vida Broke-uh.
I left town. Started a new life a thousand miles away: determined to succeed.
Its going quite well.

Reasonable success is ready to be grasped by those who reach for it.

Wow! I am not even talking about me. I am talking about facts and figures of the economy. That you would ASSUME that I am a pot-smoking, lazy, drunk is just an indication of how desperate you are to discount the indisputable facts of what I said. I have never smoked or drank in my life. It is quite amusing to see just what you will make up in your own imagination about me to justify your Negative thoughts about me so you can discount the facts I am telling you.

What I am saying about the economy is true for most people and especially young people starting out. Wages have not gone up for most of the country in 30 years, but the cost of living has gone up over 300% requiring most people to work twice as long and twice as hard to survive. If you left home and found a good job thousands of miles away from home, that is awesome. I have lived in several countries and am fluent in four languages. I bet you have not even travel a 100th as far from home as me. Where I Live now is thousands of mile from where I was born. What I am saying about the economy has nothing to do with how far you travel.

On you next try, I would suggest that you not ASSUME things and stop regurgitating stupid sayings like "Livin La Vida Broke-uh." thinking you are making a sound argument. Come up with your own original thoughts based on sound establish facts and reason.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:14 AM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Wow! I am not even talking about me. I am talking about facts and figures of the economy. That you would ASSUME that I am a pot-smoking, lazy, drunk is just an indication of how desperate you are to discount the indisputable facts of what I said. I wasnít talking about you. Slow down and re-read what I typed. I have never smoked or drank in my life. It is quite amusing to see just what you will make up in your own imagination Not true. I told you facts from my experience about me to justify your Negative thoughts about me I donít have negative thoughts about you. Iíve only known you for like 10 minutes. so you can discount the facts I am telling you. I havenít discounted any of your facts. Except your exaggerated math.

What I am saying about the economy is true for most people (most people YOU know. But definitely not true for most people I know) and (Woops I accidentally deleted part of your paragraph and I donít know how to get it back) have not gone up for most of the country in 30 years, but the cost of living has gone up over 300% Man I totally agree with you here. requiring most people to work twice as long and twice as hard to survive. If you left home and found a good job thousands of miles away from home, that is awesome. I created a new LIFE, not Ďfound a jobí. I was making $17/hr in northern Indiana working factory maintenance for 6-8 years. I then switched to production of RVís where I averaged $1200-$1400 per week. Alongside unclassy, foul-mouth, high school dropouts that smoked cigarettes/pot, and drove Cadillacs to work. No one knew how the pay scale worked but everyone made the same weekly pay. Including the freaking cleaning girls. Running around wiping walls for $60K a year.
My wife and I came to Florida and my first job was $12/hr. I didnít complain about the low pay. I was new and I deserved low pay. What I did was STRIVE FOR BETTER, and pray and tithe, and a few years later all my debts were paid off and now I own a successful business.
You know what I didnít do? Complain about low wages and what life was like 30 years ago etc etc. I have lived in several countries and am fluent in four languages. Thats cool- what languages are they?I bet you have not even travel a 100th as far from home as me Furthest Iíve gone is Arizona from Michigan. (Why are we talking about travel experience?) . Where I Live now is thousands of mile from where I was born. Me too. What I am saying about the economy has nothing to do with how far you travel. It certainly does. Many factors in play. Your concerns about bad economy have ALL been illustrated with small town examples. I guarantee cash flow is higher where there are more people.

On you next try, I would suggest that you not ASSUME things - tell me one example of something I assumed - and stop regurgitating -tell me one example of something o regurgitated- stupid sayings like "Livin La Vida Broke-uh." Are you incinuating that I heard this phrase somewhere else? Because I just made it up on my own- thinking you are making a sound argument Iíve made many sound arguments. Funny how you havenít responded to them. Come up with your own original thoughts based on sound establish facts -How have you not seen me do exactly that?- and reason.
Wow man itís rare I see someone quite so incorrect as your reply. Read above.
Its quite apparent of the blinders youíre wearing to see the world (and see me). Calm down and wait an hour to respond.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Thread closed until the forum mod can address.

Jungleexplorer, I admire your patience. This wasn't even a molehill and, just wow.

Stewart

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.