Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProPride setup tweaks

Old 05-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by RedBirdin96 View Post
And how many washers do you have on the pivot pin?
You are referring to the button or center bolt?? Either way I will have to look.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:45 PM
RedBirdin96
Senior User
RedBirdin96 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RedBirdin96 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Excurvelle View Post
You are referring to the button or center bolt?? Either way I will have to look.
yes, that's the one.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:47 PM
ExxWhy
Postmaster
ExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputation
How the hitch is turned is also dependent on the ride height of the trailer, so comparing to another is apples and oranges. Not sure on the washers, will look later. You definitely don't want the trailer nose up. Sounds like you need to take it to a CAT scale and bring your tools with you.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:10 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.Excurvelle has a spectacular reputation.

Here are pics of my stinger. Note the downward slope, makes it easier to add weight distribution and to hook and unhook.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:11 PM
RedBirdin96
Senior User
RedBirdin96 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RedBirdin96 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
THat looks like 4 washers if I am seeing it right.

Here are my weights from the latest trip to the scales with eh current setup. The main thing missing on this weigh was the wife and 4 kids, so that is probably about 350 lbs of payload to be added.

Unhitched:
-steering axle: 3280
-drive axle: 3900
-Travel Trailer: 7700

Hitched (no W/D):
-steering axle: 2760
-drive axle: 5520
-Travel Trailer: 6620

Hitched (6" on W/D jacks):
-steering axle: 3160
-drive axle: 4960
-Travel Trailer: 6720

What is the correct math based on these numbers to approximate my tongue weight as I am slightly concerned about exceeding the 1000lb limit of my stock hitch. Also does the weight distribution look good, or should I add the extra washer back in in order to try to achieve more weight distribution?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 PM
ExxWhy
Postmaster
ExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputation
My hitch has 3 washers installed. I am in the middle hole where it attaches to the jack. Your numbers look OK to me. You could push a little more back on the front axle, but it should be OK. I haven't found it to be critical regarding how it feels to transfer it all back to the front.

Your tongue weight is 1100. You compare the unhitched weight to the hitched weight. Rear is 1620 more than unhitched. Subtract the weight loss in the front and you have the tongue weight. The weight lost from the front axle is moved to the rear axle of the truck without any WD hooked up. You can upgrade your hitch by replacing the bolts to the newer style that started in 2002 ish.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:21 AM
RedBirdin96
Senior User
Originally Posted by ExxWhy View Post
You can upgrade your hitch by replacing the bolts to the newer style that started in 2002 ish.
I know I have seen that before and researched it a little. DOesn't it require drilling out holes in the hitch and/or frame a little larger? Does anyone have the part number for these bolts?

Old 05-20-2019, 09:58 PM
RedBirdin96
Senior User
I have lowered my PP stinger one hole and added 2 washers back into the pivot pin for a total of 5 to hopefully induce more weight distribution. I will go to the scales Friday with the TT loaded for a trip this weekend and report back what I get. Also planning to borrow a friends shoreline to see if I can get a better idea of actual tongue weight. Has anyone here ever measured TW with a shoreline, or other scale and a ProPride?

I found this one thread on the Jayco owners forum and am wondering if the picture in here is the most accurate way to measure actual tongue weight as it relates to the truck's hitch rating of 1000 lbs with W/D.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ger-44430.html

Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RedBirdin96 View Post
I have lowered my PP stinger one hole and added 2 washers back into the pivot pin for a total of 5 to hopefully induce more weight distribution. I will go to the scales Friday with the TT loaded for a trip this weekend and report back what I get. Also planning to borrow a friends shoreline to see if I can get a better idea of actual tongue weight. Has anyone here ever measured TW with a shoreline, or other scale and a ProPride?

I found this one thread on the Jayco owners forum and am wondering if the picture in here is the most accurate way to measure actual tongue weight as it relates to the truck's hitch rating of 1000 lbs with W/D.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ger-44430.html
You and I have about the same length trailer. I noticed your A/Cs and other items are forward mounted, do you have a bunk house in the rear and bedroom in front? Where are your tanks located? My trailer has the bedroom in front with slide, opposing rear slides with rear entertainment and kitchen over the wheels. My gray and black tanks are centrally mounted, fresh tank in the back as is my water heater.

The only reason I am mentioning this is your camper distribution of weight may make it inherently tongue heavy not to mention the ProPride is a beast as it is.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:33 PM
RedBirdin96
Senior User
You and I have about the same length trailer. I noticed your A/Cs and other items are forward mounted, do you have a bunk house in the rear and bedroom in front? Where are your tanks located? My trailer has the bedroom in front with slide, opposing rear slides with rear entertainment and kitchen over the wheels. My gray and black tanks are centrally mounted, fresh tank in the back as is my water heater.

The only reason I am mentioning this is your camper distribution of weight may make it inherently tongue heavy not to mention the ProPride is a beast as it is.
Here is a link to my specs/floorplan from Jayco:

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...-feather/29qb/

I do not travel with any water in my tanks, but believe that they are all behind or at the axles based on where the dump exits the trailer.

They say dry hitch weight is 685 lbs, so I assume if I add 40lbs for the propane tanks, ~130 lbs for PP and maybe another 100 lbs for items in my pass through storage at the front of the trailer, so you might be right, but based on the Jayco forum post that I put above it sounds like the extra length of the PP might actually help to reduce that tongue weight, so I was just curious if the measurement with the Shoreline as the OP in the Jayco forum did was accurate. A couple items I know I can move/remove to help with TW is that I have a straight stinger that I had Sean make in order to use the PP with my front hitch and also my 50 Amp 30' power cord. Those together might be 50 lbs, but probably not a huge effect at the tongue itself. I could also remove one propane tank or replace it with an empty as we do not dry camp, so 1 tank is really enough to suffice for our travels.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
You just do not want to be tail heavy so leave the tongue weight on, tail heavy = sway.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 PM
RedBirdin96
Senior User
You just do not want to be tail heavy so leave the tongue weight on, tail heavy = sway.
Understood, but I also don't want my hitch to fail due to excess tongue weight :-).

Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
To be honest, I probably run over weight myself (don't tell the weight police). I have used my PP since 2011 on 3 trailers without an issue.

Try to level the trailer and let the back of your 2wd Ex sag about an inch but make sure the camper is level, I have found that to be the sweet spot. If the truck and camper are level using the bags the trailer feels loose especially when the fuel tank empties. Also fill the tires on the Ex to 80 in the rear and 75 in the front, max the trailer tires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.