Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Refrigerant

Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
I saw fan clutch mentioned, but did not see the compressor clutch or whatever it is called mentioned.

There are shims under the clutch mounting surface that can be removed to bring the two surfaces to within spec.

I had to remove 2 shims on my clutch plate shortly after buying the truck and it has been good since.

Video link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-nMDFvSjFk

Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 PM
'88 E-350
Posting Guru
'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sous's thought is exactly what hit my head as I read your last post. Next time it's not cooling see if the compressor clutch is engaged. The front part will be spinning if it is. If it's not then excessive gap is probably the problem. And if you tap the front of the clutch it'll probably click in.

As the clutch wears the gap gets bigger and it gets harder for the electromagnet to pull it in. Heat raises the electrical resistance which lowers the magnetic force so they'll work cold and not hot. The air gap spec varies between systems, but around .020" is the neighborhood you wanna be in. If excessive gap is the problem take an 8mm socket or wrench and remove the center bolt, that'll let the front plate slide off. There is one or more shims, tiny washers, between the compressor shaft and the front plate. They always (in my experience) stay inside the front plate so be careful not to tip it downward while removing so they can't fall out. Tap the front plate downward on the ground to knock the shim(S) out, remove one, and reinstall the plate. Verify that it's not so close that it'll be constantly rubbing with the A/C off, then see if that cured the problem.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:48 PM
'88 E-350
Posting Guru
'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I hadn't noticed he put in a video link, I coulda save all that typing. Well....hopefully it agreed with what I said, otherwise whoever that is is totally wrong!!!!!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
I'm curious if one has a leak in their system, won't all the refrigerant leak out? And if you add more, it'll leak out too? Is it common for just some of the refrigerant to leak out after 20 years?

Mine doesn't work as well as it used to, but I haven't touched anything other than a new fan clutch at some point.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:53 AM
'88 E-350
Posting Guru
A perfect system won't leak any, but after 20 years it's possible to be low and not have a true leak. Kinda like tires loose air even if they don't have an actual leak. I've topped off many that last years, and some with a small leak that at least get through the summer.

If you're a little low after 20 years topping it off should last a long time.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:32 AM
BillyBob69
Post Fiend
BillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to beholdBillyBob69 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post
A perfect system won't leak any, but after 20 years it's possible to be low and not have a true leak. Kinda like tires loose air even if they don't have an actual leak. I've topped off many that last years, and some with a small leak that at least get through the summer.

That is what I am hoping for. Picking up a can this weekend.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM
'88 E-350
Posting Guru
Check out some online pressure/temperature charts to find what your pressure should be, it'll probably get you closer to correct than whatever the can says.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post

Thanks Eighty-Eight.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:12 PM
crop harvester
Posting Guru
crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.
Clean evaporator & Condenser will can make a difference.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:02 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by crop harvester View Post
Clean evaporator & Condenser will can make a difference.
Here is a good how to video I did up on cleaning the coil.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:12 PM
kbeefy
Elder User
kbeefy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Everything you've said sounds like low refrigerant to me. Best option would be evacuate and recover, measure, vacuum and recharge.
AC systems are supposed to be sealed but after 20 years there is a bit of leakage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.