Notices
1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

61-66 F100 Registry

Old 05-15-2019, 03:25 PM
schobo
New User
schobo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission advice

I recently bought a 1962 F100 unibody and I'm the process of restoring it to working condition. The previous owner had put in a Pontiac engine (which no longer runs) and, I'm guessing, a GM automatic transmission. I found a 292 Y-block for it, but haven't decided on a transmission. I was leaning toward a 4-speed toploader, you can get adaptive bell housings to make it work, but would also consider an automatic. Anyone care to give an opinion?

Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Mark Demshick
New User
Mark Demshick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine and transmission .

Originally Posted by schobo View Post
I recently bought a 1962 F100 unibody and I'm the process of restoring it to working condition. The previous owner had put in a Pontiac engine (which no longer runs) and, I'm guessing, a GM automatic transmission. I found a 292 Y-block for it, but haven't decided on a transmission. I was leaning toward a 4-speed toploader, you can get adaptive bell housings to make it work, but would also consider an automatic. Anyone care to give an opinion?
Well truthfully , it all depends on what you want itís your truck ,I know that 3 speeds on the column was the real deal for these trucks . But if your using it as a everyday driver a ; speed is the way to go. Personally I have a 3 on the tree 292 in mine and I rebuilt the column and it works perfectly. I really didnít want to loose the originality of the truck . Most people love it the way it is due to most people change it to the floor. Again itís all about preference , but I always say itís only original once and if it works and you can live with it . Leave it alone .

Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 AM
schobo
New User
schobo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mark Demshick View Post
Well truthfully , it all depends on what you want itís your truck ,I know that 3 speeds on the column was the real deal for these trucks . But if your using it as a everyday driver a ; speed is the way to go. Personally I have a 3 on the tree 292 in mine and I rebuilt the column and it works perfectly. I really didnít want to loose the originality of the truck . Most people love it the way it is due to most people change it to the floor. Again itís all about preference , but I always say itís only original once and if it works and you can live with it . Leave it alone .
Yes, 3 on the tree would be great, but I'm having a hard time finding a 61-63 transmission. Not to mention the steering column has been wrecked by the previous owner(s). Where do you look for parts? I've found a couple of sites online, and I regularly scrounge through eBay, but parts are few and far between
BTW, I see you're from Fairless Hills, I grew up in Bristol, PA

Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 AM
Mark Demshick
New User
Mark Demshick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Actually, I find Quite a few trucks in Virginia. on face book Market Place . I drove down to Virginia to pick up a parts truck for less than a grand I got a complete power train 292 v8 with a 3 speed and all the original trim I needed for my truck. In my original truck I had a 232 straight 6 with a 3 speed and it ran well . but I wanted a V8 . Now I got it !