Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Travel Trailer (Rented)

Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 PM
windellmc
Senior User
windellmc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You absolutely need a wdh. It will reduce sway a lot. I towed a 7k trailer about that length with a 2.7l engine and 145 wheelbase and it was fine. My personal limit for an F-150 is 8k lbs. I towed the same trailer with a ram1500 and an f250. The f250 was better than the 150 but not a huge amount. The ram felt the most stable but rode the worst. It needed more spring but that multi link rear end is more locked down than leafs.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 AM
xzsbkn
New User
xzsbkn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
So you acknowledged you have no formal TT towing experience and ask for guidance. Guidance and suggestions are given and ultimately you blow the fellow members off. This sounds like a recipe for disaster! Let me further guess you are also trying to tow this with a short bed 145" wheelbase truck? Max tow isn't a blanket statement and the majority of these trucks are rated to tow far less than you imagine, either due to frontal area or payload restrictions.
Interesting comment. If you look at the comments as of the time I posted, most were about checking to make sure the truck had the proper equipment - not 'DON'T DO IT- THE SKY IS FALLING!'. So , no I wasn't 'blowing off the fellow members opinions. The most useful comment was about the WDH which I had to research.

Also the 'Max tow Package is kind of a blanket statement. It means a minimum of a 3.55 electronic-locking rear axle , 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness, 36-gallon fuel tank, Class IV trailer hitch receiver, Smart Trailer Tow Connector, trailer brake controller, upgraded front stabilizer bar, and upgraded rear bumper. I think you meant the maximum tow capacity varies depending on several factors, including WB, tire size and drive line, however the minimum tow capacity with the Max Tow package is 10.2k - as someone stated earlier, '...more than enough.'.

My major concern was not equipment related (except for the WDH) but more skill based. SDDESIGNS posted some great videos of big trailers getting away from the drivers, but each disaster was preceded by the driver making a rapid lane change, and going too fast. Good input. My experience regularly towing and maneuvering a 5k lbs boat only applies minimally to this situation. 34 is definitely not ideal for a first time tow.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your opinion) I will not find out if I can successfully tow a 34' TT this week. I was having beers with a buddy and he mentioned that his dad has a 36' Class C RV that he hasn't driven in over 6 months and was worried about the gas going bad. He was happy to let me take it this weekend (do I have a guardian angel or what!). I went to the storage lot last night and hooked it up to a charger.

Opinions on this forum are AWESOME and a great source of information. I appreciate everyone's objective opinions and they absolutely provided valuable input.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:36 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
ecoboost12 has a good reputation on FTE.ecoboost12 has a good reputation on FTE.
Glad you Educated Yourself with all of the Comments on this Forum, You are better off with a RV Yes you have a guardian angel and the Lord watch over you

Old 06-13-2019, 05:08 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by xzsbkn View Post
Opinions on this forum are AWESOME and a great source of information. I appreciate everyone's objective opinions and they absolutely provided valuable input.
Glad we could be of service, and even though some of us are grumpier than others, most members genuinely want to help. Enjoy your trip and feel free to post some pics. We like pics . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: