Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford replacing 2018 5.0s?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I don't have a lot to add here, but I've been following this and have been genuinely surprised at the issues you've been having.

I admire your attitude, it seems like you're handling this the best way possible. Up until recently I wasn't aware of all the issues with the redesigned 5.0, perhaps this is an engine to stay away from for the next couple of years.
Thanks Tom. There are a few rants somewhere on this forum, but I have a good dealer, and despite this all, Ford has been very good to me over 2,7XX,XXX miles. I just prefer Fords. This one is the biggest blunder Iíve had. Iím most irritated at the destruction of my plans it has caused, and no one is going to give me a 200,000 mile warranty to cover my concerns. Yes, no vehicle is covered for 200k, but I know how I take care of my vehicle, and would bet the farm Iíd have never placed a wrench on this truck except normal maintenance into 200k. If not, I sure would have felt confident trying to hit that goal. Half of that mileage would have been my sons. He maintained he would keep it forever as ďdads truckĒ and keep it cherry for an antique one day. I doubt that, but he is a perfectionist nest freak, and if no money issues got in the way, I could see that goal attained. He and I have a bond that he looks at having one of my trucks as a reminder some day. So, I just need to figure it out. Monitoring the oil consumption will speak volumes over the next few weeks. Iím sure Iíll be reporting as things unfold. I sincerely feel Ford knows they messed up with the new 5.0L, and they may need to just junk it and bring on a new mill. I could be wrong, but despite the gracious growl of my Corsa, I will pass on any new 5.0L in the future. It only offers ear candy, and mild mpg gains for city driving over the 3.5L. The heartache isnít worth it to me. I hope everyone proves me wrong with their new 5,0Lís. Maybe this one will stabilize and learn to like me.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:39 PM
tonyxit
New User
tonyxit is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2017 5.0 6 speed.....after reading this...I feel like I have an instant classic.... great truck and engine....

Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 PM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tonyxit View Post
I have a 2017 5.0 6 speed.....after reading this...I feel like I have an instant classic.... great truck and engine....
Agree. Mine is a 2015 5.0 6 speed and I have to say it's the best truck I have ever owned, and I have had my fair share.

Old Today, 06:53 AM
IndyDog
Senior User
IndyDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since I'm now going down this 5.0 road, my question is IF it gets to this point where replacement is necessary, are they replacing it with the same design engine or did Ford change the way they make the 5.0 now? Why would someone replace a defective design with another one just to experience the same thing (hassle) all over again? To me that's not a fix.

Old Today, 07:26 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by IndyDog View Post
I guess my question would be what is the cause of oil consumption and what changes if any we're made to the '19 powerplants. Doesn't help the '18 owner but going forward it would be nice to see if Ford implemented modifications
The new engine replacement supposedly has new part numbers for the all aluminum block, the pistons, and the piston rings. I am on my first replacement, and it still is burning oil. It could be a break in, but it sure seems like a lot of oil in the short distance. Good luck with yours.

Old Today, 07:33 PM
Scottbaiowuld
New User
Scottbaiowuld is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is there a consensus on how to break these in? I just bought a new 2018 5.0 two weeks ago that was built in July of Ď18. So far Iíve put about 900 miles on it but have been babying it (my normal driving style is to maximize MPGs because I drive so much for work). It doesnít seem like itís lost any oil but should I try gunning it once the engine is warm or is it better to drive lightly?

Old Today, 09:45 PM
Harryjt
Freshman User
Harryjt is starting off with a positive reputation.
you guys should read this article on the new 5.0 .https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...liners.113071/ i personal think the motors are not getting broke in properly from the factory. after reading this post ford also used a new low friction ring design with the new motor. i think coupled with the new 10 speed that is programmed to keep the rpms on the motor as low as possible to save fuel i don't think it is allowing enough friction for the rings to seat. My 5.0 has not had a oil problem but i ran my motor in sport mode and kept the rpms up and varied for the first few thousand miles.it could be why it is hit and miss who has a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: