Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ford replacing 2018 5.0s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't have a lot to add here, but I've been following this and have been genuinely surprised at the issues you've been having.

I admire your attitude, it seems like you're handling this the best way possible. Up until recently I wasn't aware of all the issues with the redesigned 5.0, perhaps this is an engine to stay away from for the next couple of years.
Thanks Tom. There are a few rants somewhere on this forum, but I have a good dealer, and despite this all, Ford has been very good to me over 2,7XX,XXX miles. I just prefer Fords. This one is the biggest blunder I’ve had. I’m most irritated at the destruction of my plans it has caused, and no one is going to give me a 200,000 mile warranty to cover my concerns. Yes, no vehicle is covered for 200k, but I know how I take care of my vehicle, and would bet the farm I’d have never placed a wrench on this truck except normal maintenance into 200k. If not, I sure would have felt confident trying to hit that goal. Half of that mileage would have been my sons. He maintained he would keep it forever as “dads truck” and keep it cherry for an antique one day. I doubt that, but he is a perfectionist nest freak, and if no money issues got in the way, I could see that goal attained. He and I have a bond that he looks at having one of my trucks as a reminder some day. So, I just need to figure it out. Monitoring the oil consumption will speak volumes over the next few weeks. I’m sure I’ll be reporting as things unfold. I sincerely feel Ford knows they messed up with the new 5.0L, and they may need to just junk it and bring on a new mill. I could be wrong, but despite the gracious growl of my Corsa, I will pass on any new 5.0L in the future. It only offers ear candy, and mild mpg gains for city driving over the 3.5L. The heartache isn’t worth it to me. I hope everyone proves me wrong with their new 5,0L’s. Maybe this one will stabilize and learn to like me.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:39 PM
tonyxit
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2017 5.0 6 speed.....after reading this...I feel like I have an instant classic.... great truck and engine....

Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyxit
I have a 2017 5.0 6 speed.....after reading this...I feel like I have an instant classic.... great truck and engine....
Agree. Mine is a 2015 5.0 6 speed and I have to say it's the best truck I have ever owned, and I have had my fair share.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:53 AM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Since I'm now going down this 5.0 road, my question is IF it gets to this point where replacement is necessary, are they replacing it with the same design engine or did Ford change the way they make the 5.0 now? Why would someone replace a defective design with another one just to experience the same thing (hassle) all over again? To me that's not a fix.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:26 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyDog
I guess my question would be what is the cause of oil consumption and what changes if any we're made to the '19 powerplants. Doesn't help the '18 owner but going forward it would be nice to see if Ford implemented modifications
The new engine replacement supposedly has new part numbers for the all aluminum block, the pistons, and the piston rings. I am on my first replacement, and it still is burning oil. It could be a break in, but it sure seems like a lot of oil in the short distance. Good luck with yours.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Scottbaiowuld
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a consensus on how to break these in? I just bought a new 2018 5.0 two weeks ago that was built in July of ‘18. So far I’ve put about 900 miles on it but have been babying it (my normal driving style is to maximize MPGs because I drive so much for work). It doesn’t seem like it’s lost any oil but should I try gunning it once the engine is warm or is it better to drive lightly?

Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 PM
Harryjt
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you guys should read this article on the new 5.0 .https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...liners.113071/ i personal think the motors are not getting broke in properly from the factory. after reading this post ford also used a new low friction ring design with the new motor. i think coupled with the new 10 speed that is programmed to keep the rpms on the motor as low as possible to save fuel i don't think it is allowing enough friction for the rings to seat. My 5.0 has not had a oil problem but i ran my motor in sport mode and kept the rpms up and varied for the first few thousand miles.it could be why it is hit and miss who has a problem.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:34 AM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Harryjt. I had some oil consumption until I ran mine in sport mode for a week. I am a member of several Mustang forums from back when I had one. I did a search on them and a internet search also last night also. After about an hour I got tired of it. I found very little evidence of a widespread problem. I am sure there are some of any engine family that use excessive oil. But to characterize the new 5.0 as problematic may be a little excessive. I am no expert but I have 14000 on mine and it has settled down nicely.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Scottbaiowuld
New User
Originally Posted by Harryjt
you guys should read this article on the new 5.0 .https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...liners.113071/ i personal think the motors are not getting broke in properly from the factory. after reading this post ford also used a new low friction ring design with the new motor. i think coupled with the new 10 speed that is programmed to keep the rpms on the motor as low as possible to save fuel i don't think it is allowing enough friction for the rings to seat. My 5.0 has not had a oil problem but i ran my motor in sport mode and kept the rpms up and varied for the first few thousand miles.it could be why it is hit and miss who has a problem.
Originally Posted by bedwards
I agree with Harryjt. I had some oil consumption until I ran mine in sport mode for a week. I am a member of several Mustang forums from back when I had one. I did a search on them and a internet search also last night also. After about an hour I got tired of it. I found very little evidence of a widespread problem. I am sure there are some of any engine family that use excessive oil. But to characterize the new 5.0 as problematic may be a little excessive. I am no expert but I have 14000 on mine and it has settled down nicely.
Thanks for the info. My ‘18 has about 900 miles on it right now, I’ve been babying it but I’m going to switch to sport mode for awhile and hope that keeps the problem at bay. Kind of nice that the solution is driving faster.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:27 PM
ZeroTX
Freshman User
This whole thing really sucks and I think that the 1% gain in efficiency that the cylinder coatings gave over iron liners is absolutely not worth this. Change the engine block back to the old way and keep the Direct Injection. I guarantee you no more than 3-5hp loss. Huge gain in reliability.

So glad I got a 2017 5.0L. I had no idea about the 2018 issue, but there were dozens on the lot when I bought this '17. Glad I went with the outgoing model. 6-speed, tried and true, and 2nd gen well-tested 5.0L. Fingers crossed! It's my first Ford truck... If I were buying a 2019 truck right now it'd be a Ford 3.5L EcoBoost or a Ram 5.7L Hemi. The new GM's are hideous and underpowered (except the 6.2, high-optioned truck), Toyota is a 12-13 year old design, great for reliability, but horrible for being modern and up to date.. .the Titans, well, they have engine issues with the 5.6L V8. Engine knock! Check the Titan forums. Ford 3.5EB or Ram 5.7 seems to be the way to go w/ a half ton truck right now.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeroTX
This whole thing really sucks and I think that the 1% gain in efficiency that the cylinder coatings gave over iron liners is absolutely not worth this. Change the engine block back to the old way and keep the Direct Injection. I guarantee you no more than 3-5hp loss. Huge gain in reliability.

So glad I got a 2017 5.0L. I had no idea about the 2018 issue, but there were dozens on the lot when I bought this '17. Glad I went with the outgoing model. 6-speed, tried and true, and 2nd gen well-tested 5.0L. Fingers crossed! It's my first Ford truck... If I were buying a 2019 truck right now it'd be a Ford 3.5L EcoBoost or a Ram 5.7L Hemi. The new GM's are hideous and underpowered (except the 6.2, high-optioned truck), Toyota is a 12-13 year old design, great for reliability, but horrible for being modern and up to date.. .the Titans, well, they have engine issues with the 5.6L V8. Engine knock! Check the Titan forums. Ford 3.5EB or Ram 5.7 seems to be the way to go w/ a half ton truck right now.
I really don’t that all of the redesigned 5.0 engines have this problem.
More than likely is a specific lot or some but not all in each lot.
Hopefully the engineers can really narrow down this problem and make adjustments for the 2020 production.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Update on my '18 5.0, just about to 2k miles and oil consumption (knock on wood) looks to have tapered off completely.

I DO NOT baby my truck, nor do I think that DI engines should be babied in general (PTWA liners or not) . Truck has seen at least 5k rpms daily.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Harryjt
Ring tension is not what seals rings against the cylinder wall during compression or power stroke. It's the cylinder pressure pushing the ring against the wall that seals it. The ring tension only matters when there is low pressure in the cylinder, on intake and exhaust strokes. This is why you want to drive it hard during break-in, to get higher cylinder pressure and force those rings tightly to the walls.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:06 AM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I kicked the snot out of mine after about 400 miles. ran it in every mode except Economy. When I point it at the freeway I tend to jump on it and let the freeway traffic catch up so I can merge in. I just hate the way some drivers just pull out on the freeway runing about 35-40 then take 2 miles to get up to speed. It's called MERGE not stop everyone else. I do tend to drive more conservative around town, I'm not the first to the next light but I'm not the last on either.I still get 16mpg in town as long I am not pre-starting, to start the cooling process, or warming in the winter. After a couple heart attacks and a round with the big C, my comfort zone has norrowed a great deal.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:24 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad

Ford should consider reducing the bore and stroke of the 6.2 to about 5.5 liters. Now that would be a nice heavy duty and reliable 1/2 ton truck engine.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. The 6.2L has proven itself to be one of if not the single most durable engine Ford currently produces. If they bored it down to 5.5L to 5.7L and were still able to reliably produce 400 or so horsepower it would be a fantastic truck engine for the F-150. I love the 5.0L and own one myself, which luckily mine has been trouble free, but I've read quite a few of the horror stories posted here, which makes me even more grateful.

Quick Reply: Ford replacing 2018 5.0s?