View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
No prob, Bob. I can't wait to get to that point, because I really want to see what it looks like with that mileage on it.

I'm definitely going to stick with Blackstone for the remainder of my analysis, though.

I got my reply back from OilGuard, and was quite surprised. I've attached the pdf file of the emails back and forth so you can see what I got from them. Basically, although OilGuard includes TBN in their analysis, they do not test for additive components... they just report zeros in place of something more helpful like "not tested". Also, it sounds to me like they simply let their analyzer run with no intervention, even if they have the necessary information with which to override certain tests that could be otherwise be potentially questionable. None of this is explained in the comments... they simply send what the analyzer is programmed to send based on the numbers it sees.

Also turns out the viscosity test is apparently "calculated" by their analyzer based on technician entered oil weight. In my case, I didn't know the weight, so I didn't get the test, even though I paid for it when I purchased the kit. No... they did not run the test manually in the absence of oil weight to ensure that I got what I paid for... they just didn't get the info.

Oh well... I'm sure glad I split the samples and got results from Blackstone on the same samples.

Attached Images