Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Charging issue on 534. Where do i find an Alternator/reg for these?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Elder User
Join Date: May 2004
Location: saxton pa.
Posts: 565
HOTWRENCH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HOTWRENCH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talking WIRING

Some of these old trucks would burn the wires off the back of the ignition switch, they use to make a replacement plug to replace the bad one. This truck may or may not have fuseable links , usually located at the starter solenoid. If you have power coming to the F terminal of the alternator and aren't getting out at least 13.5 volts at the bat terminal of the alternator . This usually points to the aternator itself. If there is no power to the field (F} terminal this points to the regulator. Most of the electronic regulators have a wire that has power when the ign switch is on , one that has 12v from the battery for sensing voltage, and the {F} wire going the the field terminal of the alternator voltage varies with output demands. To check the alternator a hot jumper wire connected to the field terminal will let the alternator produce full output.

Have A Great Day --- Hotwrench
Reply With Quote