View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Voltage & Amperage Reading from Ford IBC

Since questions regarding amperage and voltage readings at the seven pin seem to be somewhat frequent, I took a series of reading using the built-in controller in my 2010 F150.

Readings taken with after-market controllers using accelerometers should be similar, although they may vary somewhat. These reading were taken at the seven pin using my Tekonsha plug in tester which duplicates the magnet draw of trailers. The readings were taken with the tester set to two axles. The engine was running when these readings were taken. Magnets in good condition and with good connections should draw a full 12 amps on two axle trailers.

Controller Setting 0 Minimum Amp Draw 0 Voltage 0

Controller Setting 5 Amp Draw 6 Voltage 6

Controller Setting 7 Amp Draw 9 Voltage 9

Controller Setting 10 Max Amp Draw 12 Voltage 12.5

With the controller setting at 10, and the brake pedal pressed down, rather than activating the controller manually, there was a 1 amp and 2 volt reading at the seven pin. Lower settings did not generate a reading at the seven pin using the pedal. This finding is consistent with my experience using after-market brake controller with accelerometers.

The first picture attached is the tester. The second picture is with the controller set on 10 and the last picture is the reading with the setting on 10 activated by the brake pedal.

Steve

Attached Images    

Last edited by powerstroke72; 08-14-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Fix title for OP