Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   How hard is it to change sparkplugs on 02 5.4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/999197-how-hard-is-it-to-change-sparkplugs-on-02-5-4-a.html)

Northern Caveman 10-07-2010 07:06 PM

How hard is it to change sparkplugs on 02 5.4

i have a 2002 f250 superduty with the 5.4 in it with over 210 000km on it it time to change the plugs i was wondering how hard is it to change them

dkf 10-07-2010 07:13 PM

Changing the plugs on the modulars is actually fairly strightforward. The spark plugs are hidden underneath the coils. You remove one screw that secures the coil and the entire coil and boot assembly can be pulled out. Whether you disconnect the wiring from each coil is up to you. With some fiddling you can leave the connection plugged in to prevent possbile breakage. I usually remove the intake tube so I can get at the plugs on the drivers side better. I would also recommend removing and cleaning the throttle body since the intake tube is off.

With the mileage on your truck I suggest changing the COP boots also. For plugs I would get the OE Motorcraft replacement plugs however Autolite plugs work well too. I bought a magnetic swivel socket/extension set specifically made for changing plugs on the 2V modular. The set makes it a little easier to do the plug change.

sandmanf250 10-07-2010 07:18 PM

plug change

he's right.

Northern Caveman 10-07-2010 07:24 PM

ok what are the COP boots

WBR42 10-07-2010 09:04 PM

You waited WAY too long. On a 5.4 I reccomend 50,000 miles. Never over 100,000. Its easy to take the coils off VERY self explainitory. But wait till you see what your plug looks like. And wait till you break one off. EXP the #4 (passengerside rear).

Do yourself a Favor Pull all the caps and put PB BLASTER in with every plug to let them loosen. If you break a plug you need the Listle tool and to buy its about $400. So hope you can find one locally to borrow. When you pull your plugs out come out a few turns then go in a few, out a few, in a few. Until its carefully safely worked out. Becuase using that tool is one hell of a mess.

Hope this helps but dosent scare you away. It is DO ABLE!

Northern Caveman 10-08-2010 12:08 AM

the plugs have been done once be for a about 120 000 kilometers and i has 210 000 kilometers now my farther inlaw is a mechancan he going to help me

Alex7191 10-08-2010 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by WBR42 (Post 9414667)
You waited WAY too long. On a 5.4 I reccomend 50,000 miles. Never over 100,000. Its easy to take the coils off VERY self explainitory. But wait till you see what your plug looks like. And wait till you break one off. EXP the #4 (passengerside rear).

Do yourself a Favor Pull all the caps and put PB BLASTER in with every plug to let them loosen. If you break a plug you need the Listle tool and to buy its about $400. So hope you can find one locally to borrow. When you pull your plugs out come out a few turns then go in a few, out a few, in a few. Until its carefully safely worked out. Becuase using that tool is one hell of a mess.

Hope this helps but dosent scare you away. It is DO ABLE!

he has an '02. so he has a 2v 5.4. breaking plugs are in the 3vs. - 05+

I've changed the plugs on my '01 4.6 f150 and it should be pretty similar. Just have yourself a good selection of extensions. The backs are pretty difficult to get to. I had to remove one of the fuel rails on my truck; I don't know if it'll be the same for yours though. And with that mileage id change the coils while you're in there. Use motorcraft plugs and order the coils from ebay

Northern Caveman 10-08-2010 12:14 AM

ya i think i have a enothe room so dont have to take the fuel rails off be doing the plugs this weekend have to wail for next payday to do the coils by the way how much are the coils and are they all the same

Alex7191 10-08-2010 12:37 AM

you can find a set of 8 for around $100 on ebay. what do you mean by all the same? they're not cylinder specific if thats what you mean

akford351 10-08-2010 01:48 AM

Its a piece of cake changing them... I'd say it could be done in about an hour and a half taking your time.

I like to use compressed air to blow out the holes after removing the coils, they can collect a lot of dirt.

dkf 10-08-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Northern Caveman (Post 9414300)
ok what are the COP boots

Ya i think i have a enothe room so dont have to take the fuel rails off be doing the plugs this weekend have to wail for next payday to do the coils by the way how much are the coils and are they all the same.
Think of it as a spark plug wire insulation for the Coil On Plug (COP) setup. Its a rubberlike boot that seals the contact spring between the bottom of the coil and the spark plug so no moisture or dirt can enter. The boots themselves are not too bad pricewise, you can get them at most major parts store.

NO need to remove the the fuel rails. I would not replace coils unless you know the or suspect the particular coil is bad. All the 8 coils are the same and interchangable from cylinder to cylinder. There are specific 2V and 3V coils however.

FORDTUF1 10-08-2010 12:21 PM

Pull COP
blow hole out with compressed air
spray in PB Blaster (or other penetrating oil)
wait 5 minutes, or do one side and spray while starting other side
If you're real nervous begin loosening plugs slowly a turn or two, then spray more lube.
I always put anti-seize compound on my plugs when going back in too.

When installing you can get a piece of rubber vacuum hose about 6 or 8 inches long, 200 mm if you like, us it to stick over the spark plug end, and then install the plug using it. If you get the right size tube it will just hold the end of the plug and then stick it down the hole, then as you turn the plug if it's cross-threaded the tube will spin. The main thing is it helps center and start the plug down in the hole.

Northern Caveman 10-11-2010 08:03 PM

well i got the pulgs changed after 6 hours had a rock fall down and got stuck beside the plug after i pulled the coil had to make a tool to get it out 7/8 hole saw welded to a pice of pipe works to clean that space out then blew it out with air on the drivers side you have to remove the fuel rail

thanks for the informetion

the truck runs 10 times better

Alex7191 10-11-2010 09:19 PM

the truck runs 10 times better
glad to hear it!

ChargersFanInCO 10-11-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by WBR42 (Post 9414667)
Do yourself a Favor Pull all the caps and put PB BLASTER in with every plug to let them loosen. If you break a plug you need the Listle tool and to buy its about $400.

If anything, they'll fall out when he wiggles them. The 02 is not the one with the sticking plugs.:-tap