Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   WTB - Ford Trucks & other vehicles (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum241/)
-   -   WTB - 1986-ish F-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/998458-wtb-1986-ish-f-series.html)

liftnw8z 10-05-2010 12:24 PM

WTB - 1986-ish F-Series

I have a mission in mind.

My cousin was the one who instilled the love of Ford Trucks in my life...he was much older than I but I wanted to be like him as a kid. He owned them all, Broncos, Bronco IIs, and a few F-series trucks. Sadly, he was killed in a work related accident in 1986.

I would LOVE to find a 73 Highboy (which matches one of his trucks that he owned) for a project but I doubt that's likely. So I've set my mind on this - a 1986 F-150 or 250 (preferably a 250 but I'll consider both) 4x4. I want to build a "rolling memorial" to him.

This is going to be a project - so I'm not looking for something in brand new condition. Here's the basic specs I'm looking for:

- V8, preferrably with a manual transmission but I'll consider an automatic. Doesn't necessarily have to run or run well since it will be a project.
- 4x4
- Single cab is fine, as his were always single cab trucks
- Frame in good condition; no cracks, no excessive rust/rust-through because I don't have the means to fix that easily
- Body doesn't need to be all one color or anything like that - not looking for pristine. I would hope for no excessive rust where I'm changing out cabs and beds and such. That's negotiable.

I'm in Western PA, and I'm always hanging around the PA/Mid Atlantic Chapter forums. PM me as well.

Thanks for the consideration.

Bulldog5.0 10-18-2010 01:20 PM

Too bad you aren't looking for a 2wd. I have a nice 86 2wd F150. Pics in my gallery or profile. Ride of the week of 06/27/10. I have tinted the windows and done a few other things since they were taken.

marcs724 02-20-2011 10:45 AM

did you find a truck? I am also in western PA, and I have for sale a 1983 F350 crew cab 4x4 with a 351W 4 speed manual trans. Motor does not run; I believe it has a spun bearing, as it does turn over hard. I never had time to look into it further. Truck has been a government vehicle since new, I purchased it through an online auction last summer. The truck was in CA since new, and therefore is virtually rust-free. There is some VERY minor surface rust in a couple places, but it's definitely nothing major. I originally intended on building this into another sled puller, but have changed my mind. I can email pictures if you're interested, email me at saelerconstruction@hotmail.com Thanks!!

liftnw8z 02-20-2011 11:30 AM

Nope, never did, at least not yet. Still looking though. What part of WPA are you in?

I'll drop you a line on email in a while.

marcs724 02-20-2011 11:41 AM

I'm about one hour north of Pittsburgh, 40 min east of the PA/OH line. If you look at at map where I79 & I80 meet that's about where I am.

cath2112 02-21-2011 08:40 PM

1986 F150 Step Side

Hello - interested in a Stepside? This truck would be perfect for what you have in mind. It was a project of my X's. We put quite a bit of money into it. It has been sitting for sometime. Prior to parking it we did the following:

installed brand new crated 351M motor (less than 300 miles on it)
B & M shifter
C6 Trannie
Crane cam & lifters
Edelbrock manifold & carb
Stainless steel dual exhaust
Did Radial arms & suspension
It has a 9" rear end

this truck was originally a diesel.

Has the original wooden bed. Body needs work. Interior needs to be done.

if I could recoup 1/2 of the money I put into it I would be jumping for joy. The motor alone cost $3K.

Please touch base if you are interested. I am located in Middlesex Country, Littleton MA: cath2112@yahoo.com.

Thanks. Can send pics upon request.

liftnw8z 02-21-2011 10:30 PM

As enticing as that stepside sounds, I've gotta pass. I couldn't do the price justice. If you've got $3k in the motor I'd feel like I'm stealing from you.

cath2112 02-22-2011 08:30 PM

throw an offer out there and I will certainly consider. Better it gets restored and actually driven --- than sit in my driveway any longer. With a little TLC it could be a sharp looking truck. Appreciate your time and consideration. Best regards, Catherine

Roy C 02-25-2011 09:09 AM

Liftnw8z:
I have an '87 to offer but it's a 300 engine and everything is dis-assembled. My son and I have been working on this truck and have finally run out of steam. He's 19 and has lost interest.

1987, 300ci, short bed, 4sp, 4wd, EFI.

Located in North Carolina.

7DF250 10-10-2011 08:44 PM

I have an 86 CC 4X 460 4spd project truck, runs and drives just dont have the time anymore. Cheap can split the shipping with you. Check my gallery for pics