Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Torsion Bar Adjustment (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9979-torsion-bar-adjustment.html)

swat 05-15-2001 07:28 AM

Torsion Bar Adjustment

Has anybody experimented with how much front end lift can be achieved by ratcheting down the adjustment screws on the front end torsion bars? I would like to get 1"-2" of lift on my 97 4X4 and thought this could possibly be achieved on the front end through torsion bar adjustment, and then purchase upper spring spacers in the rear to match the front ride height.

If this can be achieved, will it create caster/camber issues with alignment? If so, where can you purchase the camber adjustment blocks? Also, will stock length shocks have enough travel to accommodate the increased height?

Will this ride height improvement allow for 33"- 35" tires without having to trim sheet metal?

Thanks

knuckles 05-24-2001 01:36 AM

Torsion Bar Adjustment

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 24-May-01 AT 02:37 AM (EST)[/font][p]>Has anybody experimented with how much
>front end lift can be
>achieved by ratcheting down the
>adjustment screws on the front
>end torsion bars? I
>would like to get 1"-2"
>of lift on my 97
>4X4 and thought this could
>possibly be achieved on the
>front end through torsion bar
>adjustment, and then purchase upper
>spring spacers in the rear
>to match the front ride
>height.
>
>If this can be achieved, will
>it create caster/camber issues with
>alignment? If so, where
>can you purchase the camber
>adjustment blocks? Also, will
>stock length shocks have enough
>travel to accommodate the increased
>height?
>
>Will this ride height improvement allow
>for 33"- 35" tires without
>having to trim sheet metal?
>
>
>Thanks

Don't experiment!

If you crank up the torsion bars you'll limit wheel travel and throw off all 3 wheel alignment angles.

Caster and camber are not adjusted with "blocks". The upper control arm is moved to adjust both caster and camber angles.

Consult the BF Goodrich Tire Fitment guide for the largest possible wheel/tire combo that will fit your truck without mods. Or consult the lift manufacturer of your choice for lift info and tire fitment recommendations.

chadrock 05-24-2001 06:02 PM

Torsion Bar Adjustment

Adjusting the torsion bars is fine. I have had 2 trucks previous to my new one and both had its torsion bars fully adjusted. Many of my friends trucks are like that as well and the shops here in town reccomend it if you just want a few inches of lift in the front. You can achieve between a 1-2 in. adjustment. The stock shocks should be fine and depending on how you like the look, you can adjust the caster camber after by taking it to an alignment shop. Hope this helps.

HiMe 05-24-2001 11:23 PM

Torsion Bar Adjustment

I've done a lot of reading on the subject and the consensus is it is OK to lift within reason, i.e. 1-2". You should have the alignment checked immediately following the procedure. I have 33's on my unmodified '00 XLT 4x4 and don't have any problems.

jakegypsum 05-26-2001 01:03 PM

Torsion Bar Adjustment

custmaltima 09-11-2008 10:00 PM

What about the blocks on ebay they claim 3-4 inches for the lift. Anyone used these? Also how many inches do I need to get 35s under this fat hog.

kslhol 09-12-2008 12:55 AM

I did the TT and got some good lift in the front (close to 2 inches) and bought a pair of 2 inch rear spacers for the back. I didn't get an alignment, and have had no problems. I currently run 32's, but there is a lot of space left to stuff in some 33's next time.

Here's a pic where you can see the clearance. Looks like there should be more than enough room for 33's. To run 35's you would probably have to add a 3 inch body lift.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...g?t=1221198732

jason8225 09-14-2008 12:44 AM

If you have full air ride, you can do a few little tweaks to the height sensors to get a bit of lift as well. :)

Monsta 09-14-2008 01:37 AM

Wow...talk about raising the dead. This thread is from 01! :D

kslhol 09-14-2008 09:17 PM

Great googily moogily!! This thread is old, but I was just responding to Custmaltima who posted a few days ago. However this thread is 3 years newer than my Expedition.;)

aircargoo 10-16-2008 05:41 PM

torsion bars

yea...i was thinking doing same thing,raising front end a little....

the truck IS better off off ground with weight off rims...correct?:-bigparty

custmaltima 10-16-2008 05:59 PM

I forgot I posted this. My buddy is going to go with 22" or 24"s I guess so we are going to wait to see if it needs a lift when he has the money to buy the rims and tires.

aircargoo 10-17-2008 07:14 AM

torsion bar

what dou guys mean...30in 22 in....your talking rims or rim and tire overall....think mines are like 32....
lt275/70/17
:-drink

aircargoo 10-17-2008 07:16 AM

kslhol has a NICE TRUCK...i like that silver strip....
mines looks that high already...without me lifting it...i want like 2 more inches thou8D

Monsta 10-17-2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by aircargoo (Post 6657277)
kslhol has a NICE TRUCK...i like that silver strip....

How 'bout that leaky rear diff? You like that, too? :D

They are talking about tire height and not rim diameter.

And it is easier to crank the torsion bars when off the ground. It's just you have to keep lifting and lower to make sure the two sides are equal once there is weight back on them.

I use an air impact wrench to adjust mine on my Avalanche.