Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Guzzle's Torque Converter Lock-up (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/997720-guzzles-torque-converter-lock-up.html)

JPs2003 10-03-2010 06:26 AM

Guzzle's Torque Converter Lock-up

Now that I'm getting more familiar with resistors, diodes and such the mod that Guzzle has for a TC lock up looks easier to do. Before the LED swap mod I'm doing I would typically shy away from things that involved these types of components. Now as I'm getting use to how they function and what they do, this type of mod seems pretty do-able.

My question is, what would be the advantages and disadvantages to adding a torque converter lock up module to my truck. What conditions and situations would this be a good thing to have? Anyone out there got some real world experience with this? I guess I'm looking for a reason to do this mod :-X10 ( it's a sickness according to my wife but I LOVE the disease!). I would also like to improve on the concept if I can and that would be to add some circuit that would prevent/disengage the function of the unit if the tranny goes into first gear. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone,

JP

Shake-N-Bake 10-03-2010 09:05 AM

I use the T/C lock when I have the exhaust brake engaged. It helps maximize engine braking and reduces trans fluid temps.

mueckster 10-03-2010 09:09 AM

I chose not to do it on mine. With proper tuning, such as my DP Tuner, the TC lock up is optimized for better efficiency. My TC lock up is held to about 20 mph when decelerationg to a stop. No need for a switch. It does it for me. I don't feel there is a need for manual override, unless you are trying to lug the engine at low rpms and put out smoke. This is hard on the trans because the rpm is too low for sufficient pressure for the lock up and is not recommended.
When used properly, the switch has its benefits, as Greg stated above. JMHO

Stewart_H 10-03-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JPs2003 (Post 9396167)
Anyone out there got some real world experience with this?

I've had a TC lockup switch on my Excursion for a few years now. I had John Wood install one way back when he installed his built trans in my Ex, along with a 6.0 trans cooler.

The TC lockup is used whenever we're towing heavy into Yosemite, or whenever up and down grades and road conditions dictate speed changes to occur at moderate speeds where the torque converter is constantly locking and unlocking.

Originally Posted by mueckster (Post 9396502)
With proper tuning, such as my DP Tuner, the TC lock up is optimized for better efficiency...No need for a switch. It does it for me. I don't feel there is a need for manual override

Agreed.

My Ex has Jody's older tunes, a couple years before he started tweeking his tow tunes to lock the converter longer. My F250 has the tweeked tunes and I don't need the TC lockup switch.

Stewart

Mark250 10-03-2010 11:55 AM

I purchased all the stuff to do the TC lockup mod, but now with a DP, no need anymore. Happy with the trans strategy now.