Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Y block intake manifold install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/995962-y-block-intake-manifold-install.html)

Tomget 09-27-2010 10:45 AM

Y block intake manifold install

I've got a problem installing the intake manifold on my 312 Y block. Its the OEM cast iron unit 4barrel--wow heavy--for an old guy--plus a big reach, but anyway. The problem is that its been on there for 35ys etc and I was detecting some vacuum leak etc, so I removed it and cleaned up etc. But when I tried to reinstall with some NAPA gaskets I couldn't get the bolts in, because the gaskets are so "thick" or whatever that the holes won't align once the gaskets are in place and "lift" all. Holes align fine with no gasket--or maybe thinner gaskets etc. I don't have any thinner gaskets. And I was wondering what I'm doing wrong. Are there older non metal reinforced gaskets? These from NAPA look fine except different in that the gaskets I removed "looked thinner"and no metal dreinforcement, but maybe that's just cause they've been torqued etc? who knows. But I want to try and get all this on a second time and don't want to do the same thing and "expect different results" etc. Never a good plan. I'm thinking can I skip the gaskets and just go with some Black RTV hi Temp gooey stuff? or ? I'm putting the gaskets on the heads-with a little rtv--maybe no rtv?-and they align OK just too thick. And I dont' believer this setup would allow me to put the gaskets on the intake first etc--not common anyway I dont' think?, but just trying to think how to approach all differently. Any ideas?

arctic y block 09-27-2010 10:52 AM

I would say ya got the wrong gaskets. Some are thicker to allow for having had the mating surfaces resurfaced resulting in needing thicker gaskets. I don't think it will seal with just sealer. It is hard enough to keep from sucking the gaskets as you already know.

bigwin56f100 09-27-2010 10:57 AM

You know there is a right and a left gasket? Are the 4 center studs still in the engine to use as a guide? Sometimes they come out with the nuts, if so remove the nuts and reinstall the studs to use as a gasket guide.

I re read your post and I think you are doing all the right stuff just need to take your time wiggle here and a push there, You'll get it!

Tomget 09-27-2010 11:23 AM

Thanks guys, ya the 4 total bolts that align gaskets etc are still there--the ones with the little cast iron bridges that go atop them, And maybe it is the wiggle stuff. I try to get the bolts in one side started--just barely etc, and then the other side, but can't get that second side of the manifold to start at all. I have used RTV only I thinK? in the past with
aftermarket "aluminum manifolds" etc. But you don't think such a good idea here? And it could be just the wiggle thing, cause when i used a little rtv on top the gasket etc- its like glue pretty quick and was probably making it difficult to rock that "heavy" manifold about etc. Maybe I'll just get a second set of gaskets and no rtv and see. It would be much easier to rock this thing around if the motor were out, but leaning into the engine bay and reaching makes it tough and I've still got the carb on etc too. Maybe I can attach something/cherry picker seems like toooo much but maybe something to help make it more manageable. Its just a bad reach for me. Thanks for your comments

Tomget 09-27-2010 11:34 AM

I just talked with NAPA and they were pointing out that usually RTV is only good around the water openings and its an alternative in something like this, because RTV is apparantly not fuel resistant etc. So maybe I'm forgetting about having used it in the past? who knows? Anyway he thinks maybe just alittle rtv around the water openings if I want and I should be able to get the manifold on with the gaskets. He said he wasn't aware of any thinner gaskets with no metal reinforcement for this application etc, but said sometimes older heads/intakes can have been machined etc--but he didnt think that was my problem because they did fit before etc.
So he thinks just try again/no rtv and wiggle. I'll give it a second shot.

arctic y block 09-27-2010 03:39 PM

Use the cherry picker. Try and get one back corner and one front corner other side to start. The farthest from each other. Gently work them down and the others should follow. Make sure ya get all the old RTV off so ya aint fighting that. And I have had to go and get gaskets made by someone else to get them on. Some are just to thick.

Tomget 09-27-2010 04:07 PM

Thanks. good ideas Arctic/NAPA ordered me another gasket/I may hammer down the metal reinforcement a little before I install? I'll look at it.
I'm sure what I took out didn't have that feature. And I know the PO and he said he put them in 35year ago!! So its been a while for sure. The truck was set aside for a couple decades before I bought it.

Tomget 09-28-2010 03:04 PM

I got the second set of NAPA gaskets MS9361B-1 and did everything
possible--but theyre just too thick. These are a sandwiched type gasket with paper on the outside and metal on the in. And the gaskets I removed were all paper/no metal that i can see/although they got pretty ripped up in the disassembly etc. And these paper only gaskets are significantly thinner. So i went back to NAPA and got some "make ur own" gasket material, but I'm wondering--if its "the correct thickness". Some looked too thin and some too thick. Oh and by the way NAPA person said they could order another brand, but he didn't know if it would be thicker? thinner? etc.. So I went on line to MAC's and I see they sell a intake
manifold gasket and they're using the OEM part number--I hope that means it is the OEM gasket, and then it would likely be all paper like the one i removed--hopefully. So I ordered it. <TABLE class=fillwidth cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD>1955-1957</TD><TD>B7AZ-9433-A</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It will be probably next week. I'll post and update.

Thanks for your help.

arctic y block 09-28-2010 03:34 PM

Well that just sucks Tom. A week or more without your truck. When making the gaskets from the material I lay it on the manifold and tap out a couple of bolt holes with a small ball peen hammer. Than with a couple of bolts in these holes to help hold it I tap the rest of the gasket out with the hammer as it will cut out perfectly. If you have not tried making a gasket this way before than expect to have enough material to practice a bit. It works well once you get the hang of it. And it will get ya back on the road faster than a week I hope.

Tomget 09-28-2010 04:30 PM

Thanks Arctic/I've done a bit of that. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Tomget 09-28-2010 08:32 PM

I made some gaskets out of .04inch Felpro gasket material. Even these may be too thick-I'll try these first and if they fit-fine. Otherwise I've got some even thinner material I can use, but I'm trying for the thickest that will fit. Don't want to install something thinner than OEM.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...4_edited-1.jpg

ALBUQ F-1 09-28-2010 10:29 PM

Try putting in longer studs and pulling it down with those, or longer bolts just to get it started. I remember having to do that on an FE 390, which also had end pieces that kept it sitting high.

It's also possible that your manifold needs to be shaved because the heads were cut. Have any history on the engine?

Tomget 09-28-2010 10:35 PM

I'll see what I can find out from the previous owner. We're still in email contact from time to time. He's a car/truck guy too and is building something himself. He's a pro mechanic and built the motor decades ago when he was a mechanic student.

I'll check in with him and see if there's something special going on.

Thanks

arctic y block 09-28-2010 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tomget (Post 9380244)
I made some gaskets out of .04inch Felpro gasket material. Even these may be too thick-I'll try these first and if they fit-fine. Otherwise I've got some even thinner material I can use, but I'm trying for the thickest that will fit. Don't want to install something thinner than OEM.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...4_edited-1.jpg

Good looking job Tom. What a PITA to have to go through though.

Tomget 09-29-2010 12:00 AM

I needed something to do anyway haha/