Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Factory 7 pin connector (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/994877-factory-7-pin-connector.html)

BURNSTOUGHFORD 09-23-2010 02:53 PM

Factory 7 pin connector

Does every ford with a factory 7 pin connector have all 7 pins used? Is there supposed to be a +12v supply there to charge trailer batterys? Or did only some of the trucks get that?

KingRanchMan02 09-23-2010 03:57 PM

The seven pin connector has pin assignments as follows.
  1. Left turn signal
  2. Ground
  3. Electric trailer brakes
  4. Right turn signal
  5. Voltage in run (fused)
  6. Trailer Tow relay, switched output
  7. Trailer reverse lights.
Pin 5 is designed for the trailer battery charge. Pins count counter clockwise from the eleven o'clock position as pin 1. :-wink

n3up 09-23-2010 05:08 PM

The battery charge circuit has a fuse & relay under the hood.

Bluegrass 7 09-24-2010 02:27 AM

Every 7 pin setup must have 12 volts to keep the trailer battery up to full charge because it is used solely for emergency trailer brake operation in event the trailer gets loose from the tow vehichle, trips/pulls the switch cable and automatically applies the trailer brakes.
If it's not there, you have a missing fuse/ relay or a specific issue.

shorebird 09-24-2010 05:16 AM

You must have the relay and fuse installed to have 12v at the receptacle.
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/gr...043_yy_500.jpg
This is the standard for all trailer connections.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

projectSHO89 09-24-2010 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by shorebird (Post 9363297)
You must have the relay and fuse installed to have 12v at the receptacle.
[snip>
This is the standard for all trailer connections.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

That etrailer.com diagram is all wrong for a Ford (at least). Do not use it!

Here is the Ford diagram, taken from the 99 F150 EVTM:

Attachment 203475

minitrk 09-24-2010 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry but BOTH OF YOU ARE WRONG!!!! This IS the standard trailer plug wiring setup. Even FORD says so on the cover of my 7 plug on my Expy...

Attachment 203474

projectSHO89 09-24-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by minitrk (Post 9364313)
Sorry but BOTH OF YOU ARE WRONG!!!! This IS the standard trailer plug wiring setup. Even FORD says so on the cover of my 7 plug on my Expy...

You're, kidding, right?

Nope, it appears I posted an "upstream" connector. Sorry about that. Good catch!

minitrk 09-24-2010 08:09 PM

Yeah, I think the one you posted is the connector on the frame rail that the 7plug harness pig-tail plugs into. Also Shorebirds is for a 7 ROUND pin NOT the 7 flat, that is the most common plug. I think KingRanch used the same diagram you did. We never even answered the OPs question either... OP, MOST times only 6 pins are used, the 7th pin (center one) is usually not used, because REV lights are very rarely used on trailers. To get the rev. lights, batt chrg. (or12v+) and brakes to work you need to add fuses and relays under the hood and a brake controller inside . Even then the Batt chrg ONLY works with the key ON. To answer your question more thoroughly, YES ALL Fords use ALL 7 pins, it just depends if you add the fuse and relay under the hood for 12v+ at the plug.

Ozarkian 09-24-2010 10:06 PM

I'm wondering how heavy the wire is for the battery charging pin on the connector.

I bought a small 12v winch from Harbor Freight with a hitch mount bracket, and it would be handy to be able to tie into the existing connector harness to wire it in.

I doubt, though, that the wiring is heavy enough.

Club Wagon 09-24-2010 10:51 PM

Trick question? Yes, minitrk posted what's seen on my stock '98 F150. Of course some (now vintage) FORD trucks may have "a factory 7 pin connector" grafted on at some point to match a trailer plug, that hadn't been built w/the factory towing package that supports the standard 7 pin (6 flat pins w/center round pin) connector. I believe some basic F-Series trucks were only factory wired to support the simple, old fashioned 4 conductor trailer lighting & lack the extra wires running the length of the frame.

Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD (Post 9361330)
Does every ford with a factory 7 pin connector have all 7 pins used? Is there supposed to be a +12v supply there to charge trailer batterys? Or did only some of the trucks get that?

The towing package 12V supply is meant to charge trailer break away battery & is fused. If memory serves my '98 is designed for 30 amp fuse. This isn't nearly enough power to run most winches.

My reverse/backup light circuit was live as soon as I plugged in the 7 pin trailer connector pigtail to the tow package socket attached to the rear frame. No additional fuse or relay was needed. It apparently came from the factory or dealer with an adapter to run an old fashioned 4 pin trailer plug.

Bluegrass 7 09-25-2010 12:00 AM

Running those small wenches require at least a 40 amp line.
Use #8 wire due to the length of the run.
As you load the wench motor heavier it will draw more current.
I ran a seperate line fused at the battery to a new seperate outlet at the rear bumper.
A small 4 pin connector with two each connected to each lead handles the current load.
I used it to pull a race car into the enclosed trailer when no help is around to do the loading.

BURNSTOUGHFORD 10-01-2010 11:55 AM

my 12+v plug doesnt have any power. Dang. Well now comes the fun part of why.

minitrk 10-01-2010 01:23 PM

Is the under hood fuse good?

BURNSTOUGHFORD 10-01-2010 01:48 PM

havent checked it yet. Im not sure which one is the fuse, but know theres ar relay under there to.