Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Transmission pan torque specs? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/994514-transmission-pan-torque-specs.html)

Geardriven77 09-22-2010 10:47 AM

Transmission pan torque specs?

I'm changing the tranny filter on my '96 van today and need to know if the pan bolts and the filter bolts need to be torqued to a specified ft-lb. I don't own a torque wrench but may be able to borrow one. TIA

Tim
1996 E150
1983 F150
Lynchburg, VA

danger-ranger93 09-22-2010 04:05 PM

i can check my haynes when i get home, they may be in inch pounds.. but i'll check when i get home

DBGrif91 09-22-2010 04:25 PM

I'm not positive but I think its anywhere from 10-16 ft-lbs depending on the type of tranny.

danger-ranger93 09-22-2010 05:12 PM

my haynes says for all auto's its 10-14 ft lbs

Geardriven77 09-23-2010 11:12 AM

Finally got to the transmission filter change today. In the process of taking out the 17 bolts in the pan, one of them rung off in the transmission housing (oh joy). Will attempt to drill out and remove with an extractor. If that doesn't work I'll have to drill one step bigger and tap hole. Also, I found an odd object laying in the pan when I removed it. It's a little yellow plastic piece about an 1-1/4 long with a conical end with an O ring on it. The other end is a 3/16 shaft. I have no idea what it is or where it came from!

jim henderson 09-23-2010 11:25 AM

That plastic piece is the dipstick tube factory plug. It is on the tube before it is installed into the tranny during assembly. When the dipstick is pushed in the first time it pushes the plug out to float harmlessly in the pan until the next fluid change. This means the fluid in your tranny has never been changed before. Maybe why one bolt broke off.

Be careful while torquing the bolts back into place. Some pan gaskets will squeeze out or cut under the bolts and give you a really good leak. Cork and rubber gaskets seem to do this most. The black "hard paperboard" like gaskets don't have as much problem with that.

If you are using a soft gasket you might want to "glue" it in place and go light on the torque while watching the gasket for bulging. If it bulges, back off a bit on torque and maybe use some gasket sealer on the bolt since it won't be torqued to spec.

Without a torque wrench, hand tight is more than enough. Don't go honking on the wrench.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Geardriven77 09-23-2010 11:46 AM

Thanks Jim. I was speculating that the plastic piece in question must have been dropped or pushed through the dipstick tube since it matches nothing else. :)

DBGrif91 09-23-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by jim henderson (Post 9360684)
Without a torque wrench, hand tight is more than enough. Don't go honking on the wrench.

One thing I've learned is that, once the bolt has made contact with the surface and is just a little bit snug, one 1/4 turn with a wrench or ratchet from that point is equivalent to about 14 ft-lbs. It's obviously not as accurate as a torque wrench, but it might work for you.