Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   7.3 IDI injectors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/994508-7-3-idi-injectors.html)

91 Super Duty 09-22-2010 10:37 AM

7.3 IDI injectors

I have a 1991 7.3 IDI, and its getting time to replace injectors, I prefer new over reman. My question is, who makes the best injector for my truck?

The truck is a tow truck that runs everyday, sometimes all day with out being shut off, so you can see why she needs the best I can get.

Festus Hagen 09-22-2010 11:19 AM

Pensacola Diesel - SET OF 8..84-1993 6.9-7.3 NEW Delphi Injectors (No Cores)

There is also a gent on here and oilburners.net that will sell you a matched set if you want to spend the bucks.

Last time I mentioned his name I got it wrong, someone will be along and provide that info accurately ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

wreckinball 09-22-2010 12:12 PM

Typefour i believe is his username? usually seen floating around as type4 i think, haha.

polarismuddman 09-22-2010 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by wreckinball (Post 9356977)
Typefour i believe is his username? usually seen floating around as type4 i think, haha.

That's him, he also sells reground "torque" cams for the IDI's. I've ordered a set from pensacola before and was very happy with them..great customer service and fast shipping.

Festus Hagen 09-23-2010 12:18 AM

Ok, lets see if I can get it right ... :)

Mel does the moose stuff ... (Agmen????)
Russ (type4) does the Injector matching and Cams ...

-Enjoy

polarismuddman 09-23-2010 12:20 AM

Agnem.....but other than that...right on the dot!

Festus Hagen 09-23-2010 12:44 AM

Thank you!

Hopefully my CRS won't bite me again!

-Enjoy

91 Super Duty 09-23-2010 10:59 AM

I saw the ones at Pensacola Diesel and thought they had the best price, just was not sure if Delphi were any good or if there was a better brand out there, and everyones prices are all over the map, NAPA wants 3x the price of pensacloa diesel for reman injectors.

No one really makes a good part anymore, all the shops I tow into and even the dealers are having problems with getting brand new parts that are junk, and alot will not use reman parts unless the customer requests and if they do they will not guarantee the work because of the unreliability of the parts.

Festus Hagen 09-23-2010 12:51 PM

Thats the money grubbing infection spreading across this greedy world ...
Make it cheaper, Bigger profits, Make it not last as long, Sells another, 1 year warranty, 1 year lifespan.

Sooner or later that mentality will bite the world in the ...

I have not heard of any issues with the Delphi's, but I haven't heard from everyone thats used them.

As I understand it (I may be wrong), Russ buys Delphi's and matches the pop pressures across a set and resells them, I suspect that would be a decent indicator of their quality or lack thereof ...

Personally, Unless I was building an all out race motor (And I wouldn't waste my time with 6.9 or 7.3 IDI) I would just use Delphi's from Pensacola.

-Enjoy

91 Super Duty 09-23-2010 01:42 PM

One of the many reasons I love this truck is it was built right, not like today. they all look nice and thats it, with all of our technological advances we have really re-entered the stone age justin a different respect.

That was my thinking to use the Delphi's unless someone here can give me a reason not to. I made the mistake of calling a shop today to get an estimate to do a tune up, they were more expensive than the dealer and wanted to keep the truck for a week just to install new injectors and glow plugs.

I would not have a problem doing it myself if I had the time, tools and a shop. Its easier to take it in and have someone do it the only problem is finding someone I can trust not to screw it up. I would love to find a real diesel mechanic, too bad there is not many left. If the computer says there is nothing wrong then its not broke.

mabc926 09-23-2010 04:31 PM

Are the Delphi injectors BB code or D code?

I know Russ sells BB code injectors.

It's hard to beat the price of those Delphi's though.

ah1988 09-23-2010 08:00 PM

new owner and enthusiust

im new to owning a idi diesel truck is there any tips
to keeping it alive id like to know how much i can tow
its a 1988 f-350 xlt lariat dually 7.3L IDI

mabc926 09-23-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ah1988 (Post 9362165)
im new to owning a idi diesel truck is there any tips
to keeping it alive id like to know how much i can tow
its a 1988 f-350 xlt lariat dually 7.3L IDI

Maybe you should start a new thread with that, bud :-innocent

snaponprofile 09-23-2010 08:36 PM

If my truck blows blueish smoke, not just when started but all the time, could that be a indication I need new injectors??

They are stock and i'm at 104,000 miles.

ah1988 09-23-2010 08:41 PM

new owner

Originally Posted by mabc926 (Post 9362271)
Maybe you should start a new thread with that, bud :-innocent

how do you post a new thread ive only learned how to reply