Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   oil life indicator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/993191-oil-life-indicator.html)

davelim 09-17-2010 08:40 PM

oil life indicator

Hello,
I have 7,000 miles on my 2010 XLT and I recently did a system check on the speedometer. I was looking for oil life percent to be around 20-30% but all it showed was dashed lines. This is strange because I changed the oil at the dealership only about 4000 miles ago. The manual says 7500 miles between changes. Anyone else experience this from their system check? Also, I don't see any warning symbols or signs that would suggest an oil change is needed, unlike my odyssey which shows a yellow warning indicator when the oil is at 15% or lower.
Dave

awq134 09-17-2010 11:01 PM

did someone turn it off? here's what the owners manual says. Not sure if you can decrease the value enough to turn it off or not, but just maybe that's what happened

OIL LIFE
This displays the remaining oil life.
An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center and
according to the recommended maintenance schedule. USE ONLY
RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
(approximately 7,500 miles [12,000 km] or 12 months) perform the
following:
1. Press and release the SELECT/RESET stem to display “OIL LIFE
XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.
2. Press and hold the SELECT/RESET stem for two seconds and release
to reset the oil life to 100%.
Note: To change oil life 100% miles value from 7,500 miles (12,000 km)
or 12 months to another value, proceed to Step 3.
3. Once “OIL LIFE SET TO XXX%” is displayed, release and press the
SELECT/RESET stem to change the Oil Life Start Value. Each release
and press will reduce the value by 10%.

juneau76 09-18-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by awq134 (Post 9341975)
did someone turn it off? here's what the owners manual says. Not sure if you can decrease the value enough to turn it off or not, but just maybe that's what happened

OIL LIFE
This displays the remaining oil life.
An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center and
according to the recommended maintenance schedule. USE ONLY
RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
(approximately 7,500 miles [12,000 km] or 12 months) perform the
following:
1. Press and release the SELECT/RESET stem to display “OIL LIFE
XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.
2. Press and hold the SELECT/RESET stem for two seconds and release
to reset the oil life to 100%.

Good info. I may try to reduce mine all the way down when it goes off.

D8chumley 09-18-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by davelim (Post 9341515)
Hello,
I have 7,000 miles on my 2010 XLT and I recently did a system check on the speedometer. I was looking for oil life percent to be around 20-30% but all it showed was dashed lines. This is strange because I changed the oil at the dealership only about 4000 miles ago. The manual says 7500 miles between changes. Anyone else experience this from their system check? Also, I don't see any warning symbols or signs that would suggest an oil change is needed, unlike my odyssey which shows a yellow warning indicator when the oil is at 15% or lower.
Dave

It is quite possible that the dealer didn't reset the OLI after they changed it. I know mine didn't get reset when my dealer did the free first OC last week, I checked it when I left the dealership and lo and behold it wasn't reset. :rolleyes: Also, the windshield reminder sticker has an OCI for 3000 miles ??? The receipt said 5 qts 5w30 but the sticker says 5w20. Holy conflicting numbers Batman! I checked it immediately and it was up to the full line or they would've had a disgruntled customer on their hands...

juneau76 09-18-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by D8chumley (Post 9342492)
Also, the windshield reminder sticker has an OCI for 3000 miles ???

The dealer that I bought my truck from is telling me it's due at 3,000 miles, also. Unfortunately, they are 1.5 hours away so I will be doing it myself and not getting it for free.

soundwave 09-18-2010 07:33 PM

The dealer didnt reset mine, either. I had to reset it. Im not quite sure of the purpose of this feature, anyway. I got my first oil change at 6,500miles and 6months of ownership. The reading from the dash said I had something like "20% oil life. oil ok.".

But the manual says change the oil every 7,500 miles OR 6 months, whichever comes first. If I had listened to this goofy gage, it wouldve not coincided with the manual (and my better judgment)

D8chumley 09-19-2010 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by juneau76 (Post 9343924)
The dealer that I bought my truck from is telling me it's due at 3,000 miles, also. Unfortunately, they are 1.5 hours away so I will be doing it myself and not getting it for free.

This is for your first change right? I actually did the first one on mine at 2k just because I wanted to, and the dealer freebie came at around 6400. The sticker indicates the next one should be at 9400 but like Soundwave said, the manual says 7500/6 mos. I'm going that route and might do a UOA since I have a few unused sample bottles left over. I believe its just a ploy by the dealer to get you to spend your money. If it were them paying for, say even 1 years worth of changes, would they consider the interval at 3k or 5-6-7k?

xciton 09-19-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by awq134 (Post 9341975)

FYI On my model (FX4, where you only have ONE button), the instructions published in the Ford manual are not correct. The instructions assume you have the three button trip computer.

For the single button version, when you hold the button waiting for it to reset to 100%, keep holding the stick when it changes (don't release). It will eventually start counting down in 10% decrements. When you see the value you want, release the button.

(PS and off-topic... why does this forum's text editor insist on removing my whitespace (blank lines) I place in my reply for readability? Very annoying that I have to force them in with BR codes)

juneau76 09-19-2010 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by D8chumley (Post 9345113)
This is for your first change right?

That's affirmative. I wasn't real clear on that, I guess.

Originally Posted by D8chumley (Post 9345113)
I'm going that route and might do a UOA since I have a few unused sample bottles left over.

I plan on doing UOAs for the same reason. I'm so used to doing them, it would seem weird not to do them anymore. It may be a waste, but it'll be my piece of mind.