Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   First Oil Change VIDEO (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/991148-first-oil-change-video.html)

EpicCowlick 09-11-2010 03:55 PM

First Oil Change VIDEO

Here's my experience changing the oil for the first time this morning. I was mostly excited to see how the new quarter-turn drain plug would work. Here's the video:

YouTube - 2011 Super Duty Oil Change

cummins cowboy 09-11-2010 04:43 PM

it didn't look like you prefilled the oil filter, maybe you did, was the oil that came out of the truck really dark??

Rutcutter 09-11-2010 04:44 PM

Love the video's EpicCowlick ! I thought the drain plug was cool too! You should have filled the oil filter before installation though... LOL

JReinert 09-11-2010 04:49 PM

I need to get a pan like that one. Mine has a cover over it with holes in it thus the oil hits the cover and slatters all over. Nice video!

BTyner41 09-11-2010 04:55 PM

Nice video Epic.

FishOnOne 09-11-2010 05:09 PM

Excellent Video and very informative... Noticed you used 5W-40 weight.

Champ198 09-11-2010 06:15 PM

Great vid!! My wife overhead the audio and she asked "so, are you gonna start changing your own oil now?" I said "YES!!""

btw, any idea when the next vid in the do-it-yourself series is coming out? I'm being serious!! :-X22

My08F250FX4 09-11-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 9317690)
Here's my experience changing the oil for the first time this morning. I was mostly excited to see how the new quarter-turn drain plug would work.

Excellent video Epic!!!!!!!!! :-X22

kper05 09-11-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rutcutter (Post 9317839)
You should have filled the oil filter before installation though... LOL

Does anyone know if this is SOP for the average tech at dealerships?
The high level techs have more important tasks to work on than change oil.

roadkingfl 09-11-2010 06:47 PM

Epic, awesome as always......Ford should be kissing your butt.

rdenis 09-11-2010 07:16 PM

Great video, well done!

Filling the oil filter is a matter of personal preference - some folks like to do it, I never do and have never had a problem. The important thing is make sure you have the right level of oil post-change.

Epic said 13 quarts added which levelled out after he ran it. I presume the 13 quarts is the system capacity so if you fill your filter, you need to back it out of the volume calc or you will overfill.

Painted Horse 09-11-2010 07:45 PM

You didn't show what it took to remove the old filter. I'm spoiled by how easy the filter was on the top of the 6.0. I need to go see what size of filter wrench I need to get the dirty filter off. Hope I still have some old filter wrenches around that will fit that size on this truck.

I use a 5 gallon bucket to catch my dirty oil. I buy oil and hydraulic fluid for my skid loaders and mini execavators in the 5 gallon buckets, So I've got old buckets around. They have a pour spout that makes it easy to dump the old oil at what ever recycling place I take it to. 13 quarts will only fill the 5 gallon bucket about 2/3rds full. Slide it out from under the truck and snap the lid back on.

So whats next Epic, A video on changing the fuel filters?

tolliewolly 09-11-2010 08:19 PM

Was that metal filter the only oil filter for the 6.7?

I have a 6.0 and have that big top oil filter. I am getting ready to buy a new 2011

asphaltman 09-11-2010 09:35 PM

Awesome video!! Thanks for posting them!

Painted Horse 09-11-2010 10:40 PM

Did you have any problem finding a filter? And was it reasonibly priced?

bnmccoy 09-11-2010 11:04 PM

Great video, thanks for sharing.

EpicCowlick 09-12-2010 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy (Post 9317836)
it didn't look like you prefilled the oil filter, maybe you did, was the oil that came out of the truck really dark??

The oil was pretty dark, but no different than other oil changes. Is your's still new looking after 5,000 miles?

Originally Posted by Rutcutter (Post 9317839)
Love the video's EpicCowlick ! I thought the drain plug was cool too! You should have filled the oil filter before installation though... LOL

Now that you mention it, I have heard of pre-filling filters. I didn't do it tough, is that a bad thing?

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 9317905)
Excellent Video and very informative... Noticed you used 5W-40 weight.

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. Everything I've read so far says it's a good oil. We'll see.

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 9318434)
You didn't show what it took to remove the old filter. I'm spoiled by how easy the filter was on the top of the 6.0. I need to go see what size of filter wrench I need to get the dirty filter off. Hope I still have some old filter wrenches around that will fit that size on this truck.

I use a 5 gallon bucket to catch my dirty oil. I buy oil and hydraulic fluid for my skid loaders and mini execavators in the 5 gallon buckets, So I've got old buckets around. They have a pour spout that makes it easy to dump the old oil at what ever recycling place I take it to. 13 quarts will only fill the 5 gallon bucket about 2/3rds full. Slide it out from under the truck and snap the lid back on.

So whats next Epic, A video on changing the fuel filters?

I did try to record removing the old filter, but my little camera was off-angle and too dark. Had to skip that part. It was easy though, removed it with only my hands. There's plenty of room to get an oil filter wrench up in there. A five gallon bucket would work fine. The mouth on this catch-pan is super wide though which made it really easy to make sure I didn't over-shoot the opening. Hate wiping oil off the floor. And yes, sure, I'll make a video of the fuel filter changes. It's really easy to do with Windows Live Movie Maker which is a free download. The only weird part is the actual recording. Sounds like I'm talking to myself the whole time.

Originally Posted by tolliewolly (Post 9318548)
Was that metal filter the only oil filter for the 6.7?

I have a 6.0 and have that big top oil filter. I am getting ready to buy a new 2011

Holy crap! Serious? Is there a second filter on these engines? Because I sure didn't change it.

Originally Posted by Painted Horse (Post 9319033)
Did you have any problem finding a filter? And was it reasonibly priced?

I ordered two filters from DieselFiltersOnline.com. $19.95 each plus $8 shipping. Most I've ever paid for a filter but less than the price at the dealer.

Ford 6.7 liter Powerstroke Turbo Diesel Truck Filters - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

cummins cowboy 09-12-2010 09:42 AM

epic, what other diesels have you had before, a diesel will soot the oil way more than a gas engine however, these newer engines especially my dodge puts a ton of soot into the oil, I could go and change the oil thats in there that has only about 2k miles on it, replace it all with new and it would still look like road tar.

let me put it this way, was the new oil really dark after you replaced it.

as for filling the filter, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference but I feel it helps get the oil flowing through the system a second or two faster, which can't be a bad thing.

Tom 09-12-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 9319596)
Holy crap! Serious? Is there a second filter on these engines? Because I sure didn't change it.

There is only one filter on this engine, and that's the one you changed.

The previous gen engines, the 6.0L and 6.4L had a cartridge-style filter on top of the engine. Was a real breeze to change without making a mess.

This one looks easy to get to and change, but a bit messier than the outgoing design.

FishOnOne 09-12-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 9319596)

Your good... there is only one oil filter on these 6.7psd. I believe the gentlemen was making a comparison on the 6.0 psd with the cartridge oil filter on the top vs the 6.7 has the filter on the bottom.

GMUGNIER 09-12-2010 10:39 AM

Can anyone confirm that there isn't a second filter?

EpicCowlick 09-12-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy (Post 9320102)
... as for filling the filter, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference but I feel it helps get the oil flowing through the system a second or two faster, which can't be a bad thing.

I wondered if the engine would make any "dry valve" sounds on initial start up after the oil change. I knew a lot of oil had to fill up the filter, etc but didn't think of pre-filling the filter. For this reason, I recorded the initial start-up in the video. Short of a formal acoustic analysis, I couldn't tell any difference in the start-up sounds of the engine. Sounded pretty normal. You can listen to it again to see what you think.

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 9320115)
The previous gen engines, the 6.0L and 6.4L had a cartridge-style filter on top of the engine. Was a real breeze to change without making a mess.

This one looks easy to get to and change, but a bit messier than the outgoing design.

I don't see a way to get the filter off without dealing with a bunch of dripping oil. This upside down design definitely keeps the oil in the cartridge, which is good, but all of the oil in the piping above it comes out and over the filter as soon as you break the rubber seal. I'm definitely wearing gloves next time and I'm not going to doddle with it. The best way is to simply get after it and turn off the filter quickly.

Note to everyone: Don't drop it in the full catch-pan to try to avoid a little oil on your fingers. You'll end up with a big splash on the floor, your arm, your shirt and your face. Trust me, I know.

Tom 09-12-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 9320384)
I don't see a way to get the filter off without dealing with a bunch of dripping oil. This upside down design definitely keeps the oil in the cartridge, which is good, but all of the oil in the piping above it comes out and over the filter as soon as you break the rubber seal. I'm definitely wearing gloves next time and I'm not going to doddle with it. The best way is to simply get after it and turn off the filter quickly.

Yep, definitely gonna miss the old design.

On my 6.4L you simply loosen the cap on top of the engine, let the oil drain for a few seconds, pull the filter and cap upward, tip upside down, and carry away. Very easy to not spill even a drop of oil.

But with any luck these oil filters will eventually be cheaper than the FL-2016 cartridge filters used in the outgoing engines. Never could get one cheaper than $18 at wal-mart!

PowerStrokeHD 09-12-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by GMUGNIER (Post 9320317)
Can anyone confirm that there isn't a second filter?

There is only one oil filter, the one that EpicCowlick replaced in his video. None of the PSD's have a second oil filter. Now the 6.0L, 6.4L and 6.7L all have 2 fuel filters. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

JReinert 09-12-2010 02:28 PM

A little trick that I learned is to take an old screwdriver and sharpen it to a point and use this to puncture the bottom of the filter. It takes a little longer do drain the filter but at least you know where the oil is going.

EpicCowlick 09-12-2010 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by JReinert (Post 9320975)
A little trick that I learned is to take an old screwdriver and sharpen it to a point and use this to puncture the bottom of the filter. It takes a little longer do drain the filter but at least you know where the oil is going.

That's a mighty fine idea. Seems like it would drain the filter and upper hoses pretty quickly. It's only a quart or two. I'm going to try that next time except I'll use a punch. I couple of extra smacks will create a 3/4 inch hole.

tolliewolly 09-12-2010 07:32 PM

There is no second oil filter. I was just wondering if the one he changed was the oil filter. It looked kinda small. The 6.0 oil filter is alot bigger than that oil filter he changed for the 6.7

Broughton 09-13-2010 01:24 PM

Laughter makes the world go round....

That's all I got,
We do appreciate your efforts!
Newbie here, going back quiet.
Oh, did I mention I'm a previous Dodge guy?
Oops, I gues I've arrived at the bright side.:-jammin:-missingt

EpicCowlick 09-13-2010 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by tolliewolly (Post 9321824)
There is no second oil filter. I was just wondering if the one he changed was the oil filter. It looked kinda small. The 6.0 oil filter is alot bigger than that oil filter he changed for the 6.7

The filter is pretty big actually. I'd say about twice as tall as the filters on my previous gas trucks. This is my first diesel which goes along way towards explaining why I'm so geeked out about it. I haven't had this much fun with a vehicle in a long time.

EpicCowlick 09-14-2010 07:47 AM

I just copied this from the diesel supplement:
To change the engine oil and oil filter:
1. Unscrew the oil filter and oil pan drain plug and wait for the oil to
drain.
Note: The oil pan drain plug only requires 1/4 turn to removal/install. A
3/8 inch socket drive may be used to assist with removal/installation, but
be careful not to over-tighten the plug during installation.
2. Replace the filter.
3. Reinstall the oil pan drain plug.
4. Refill the engine with new oil. For the proper capacity, see
Maintenance product specifications and capacities in this chapter.
5. Reset the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™. See Message center in the
Instrument Cluster chapter for more information.
Obviously says nothing about pre-filling the filter which makes me feel better. Is this practice common in dealerhsips or at Ford? Or is this something that is just a good idea perpetuated in the forums? I wonder if the factory pre-fills the filters when they install the engine on the truck for the first time.

Broughton 09-14-2010 08:02 AM

Prefilling oil filter

I have always pre-filled my filters.
IMO, it shortens the time it takes to circulate oil and noticed that the oil pressure gauge seems to register sooner.
It's probably not a big deal but it is just a habit that I've gotten into.

rickatic 09-14-2010 08:17 AM

I have done both. It surely can not hurt to fill it but whether it makes a difference is likely unknown.

dpwilson 09-14-2010 09:12 AM

Great video. I had to laugh at the "shut up cat" 3/4 of the way through it :-X04

origcharger 09-14-2010 11:02 AM

Filling oil filters is a matter of personnal choice. Many diesel engines use a much larger or even two oil filters and no mention is made in the manual about prefilling. Also there is no way to prefill the filters on the 6.0 or 6.4 or the Mercedes diesels that use the same filter arrangement and no one seems to lose sleep over that.

GMUGNIER 09-14-2010 02:35 PM

Everytime I pre-fill a filter I always make a mess.

ruschejj 09-14-2010 04:06 PM

I just checked the Fumoto site. Application info is cryptic. Anyone know anything about these for our new engines? Lots of folks complain that the oil shoots out forcefully almost horizontal for a couple feet with the factory 1/4 turn thing. Just wondering if this would make life easier.

Oh, Mr. Epic, I can't rep you anymore or I would have.

rickatic 09-14-2010 04:15 PM

Last I heard, no Fumoto yet...

EpicCowlick 09-14-2010 04:36 PM

I don't know how or even it Fumoto will do this. Their valves are based on traditional metal threaded drain plugs. The 2011 Super Duty has neither. After using the Ford drain plug myself, I am completely satisfied. No need for a Fumoto.

automax2260 09-14-2010 05:31 PM

You should always fill the filter when doing an oil change. At least to within an inch of the top of the filter. Let it set in the box it came in for a little bit so the oil soaks into the filter and then top it up. My 7.3L takes about 1.5qts.
Not only does this help get quick oil pressure, it also wets the the filter so the high pressure oil doesn't shock a dry filter.
I haven't changed oil in the 6.7L yet but it looks like about the same size as the 7.3L.
Just remember when you fill the filter to add that to the total amount of oil you put in the engine.
I hope this helps

720Deere 09-14-2010 08:00 PM

Where were all you pre-fill guys when I first bought my 6.0? LOL I bet one of you probably poured 4 gallons of oil through the filter housing just making sure that the engine had a good gulp of unfiltered oil when it first started up!