Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   First Oil Change VIDEO (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/991148-first-oil-change-video.html)

PrinceValium 11-12-2011 09:51 PM

Great video Epic thanks.

Sgt93 11-27-2011 10:30 AM

"Shut up Cat!!!!!!":-X24

markiemark 12-08-2011 09:07 AM

OH how I wish I saw this video before attempting the oil change. Imagine first of all, overshooting the oil pan. After my adjustment of the oil pan, oil is filling up pan quicker than oil is going down the little hole. Now imagine if you will sticking the plug back in to stop the flow of HOT oil. Covered myself, hair, clothes and driveway. My motto = IF you're going to be dumb, you better be tough. I'm as tough as they come!!! Great video Epic, thanks. Shut up cat!!

Dim Sum 01-21-2012 02:17 PM

MarkieMark

I just completed my first oil change today. I've watched Epic's video, knew it would overshoot, and still make a d@mn mess. Now all of the clothes I was wearing are in the washing machine. Same problem....oil comes out faster than the hole on my oil drain container. I left the container at the base hobby shop for others to use. I will buy some buckets or something else. I made a mess in the shop and spent most of my hour cleaning the service bay that I destroyed.

Lessons learned:

1. It overshoots a lot
2. Get an oil pan that has either a large hole or no top
3. Punch a hole in the oil filter.

The drain plug might be one of the awesomest things about this truck.

EpicCowlick 01-21-2012 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dim Sum (Post 11317492)
MarkieMark
I've watched Epic's video, knew it would overshoot, and still make a d@mn mess.

I try and I try, but no one believes me... :-X04

I'm going to add a text annotation that advises against the hole-in-the-middle pans. Maybe save the next guy some grief.

And by the way, the last two times I punched the filter, oil still came out over the top and down the sides. Not as much but still plenty. I must be doing something wrong... I'm one for four on clean filter removal. :confused:

EpicCowlick 01-21-2012 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 11317531)
I try and I try, but no one believes me... :-X04

I'm going to add a text annotation that advises against the hole-in-the-middle pans. Maybe save the next guy some grief.

Annotation added...

Dim Sum 01-21-2012 02:50 PM

Thanks Epic. You, however gave us plenty of warning. I chose not to heed any of them and paid the price today. As well, the oil filter really is a mess. Makes me miss the 6.4's canister on top a little.

If it still drains down if you punch a hole..then there probably is no way to cleanly remove the filter.

I'm not complaining though. Next time, I won't make a big mess because I will find a pan like Epic's and the big mess won't happen.

Its pretty bad when you are laying there, truck dripping snow melt on your back, as you watch the oil spill over the walls of your container because it can't drain in fast enough. It was okay though, I already had a quart of oil on the floor from the overshoot ....

Lots of learning today :D

CascadeF250 01-21-2012 03:13 PM

I bought a 15 quart green open top plastic pan at Walmart for under $10.00. It's not as nice as Epic's but works well if you hold it up to the drain for a short time at the beginning of drain process. I just bite the bullet and break loose the filter and let the excess drain before I take it off. All Epic's video's have been a great help including the one on Fuel filter changes. Thanks again Epic.

kper05 01-21-2012 03:27 PM

I laugh at your expense but only because I made a mess the first drain, up to it splashing on my face.
It's difficult to understand until you actually have experience with that plastic drain plug first hand and nearly 12 quarts of thin, hot oil leaving the pan in 10 seconds.
I wasn't expecting it to be that fast.
I didn't punch the filter through the second layer the first time either.
Filter has the remaining quart.

Tom 01-21-2012 05:23 PM

I, too, made the mess with the drain pan with the hole in the middle. And the funny thing was that I did this the same day someone came on FTE and started a thread about why NOT to do this! All I could do is cringe helplessly as my drain pan overrunneth and deal with the results at the end. :-arrgh

Although I don't really see the problem with the oil filter. I have never seen a vehicle with a typical oil filter setup that doesn't drain oil down the exterior of the filter when it's loosened. These trucks have the advantage of it being in plane view and not requiring any contorting to get to it. I can only wish my Mustang's OIL FILTER was that simple.

kper05 01-21-2012 07:42 PM

That looks like a pain.
You should get a super duty... :D

Brian Uhlenhake 01-22-2012 12:46 PM

Easy Solution to Problem

Gentlemen,

I love the EPIC videos...I learn from his experience! So now time to pass on a tip.

When I drain my oil I use a socket driver to turn plug ccw, layin on creeper under truck from drivers side facing forward I reach up and hold plug with left hand, then I slowly turn ccw and push back end of plug up. Then I carefully let plug back out until I have a steady stream of oil, let it pour for 1/2-3/4 of whats in pan, then when I feel the pressure let up I pull the plug out completely --> no mess!

Also I don't punch the oil filter...I just loosen until the oil pours out at good rate and just let it drain that way. When down to drips I use a couple paper towels to finish unscrewing and then tip it sideways into oil pan.

As long as you are doing both of the above inside the shop or in non-wind environment I don't spill a drop.

Brian

On Holiday 01-23-2012 10:08 AM

Have you looked into other oils that allow for a longer change interval? My FIL uses an oil that is rated for 15k. He changes the filter at 7,500 and adds a quart or two for the filter.

kper05 01-23-2012 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by On Holiday (Post 11325780)
Have you looked into other oils that allow for a longer change interval? My FIL uses an oil that is rated for 15k. He changes the filter at 7,500 and adds a quart or two for the filter.

What model year truck?
The issue now is diesel in the oil, granted the 6.7L PSD handles active regen much better than the 6.4L.

EpicCowlick 01-23-2012 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by On Holiday (Post 11325780)

I'd be happy to run longer intervals if it wasn't for the fuel dilution. My oil samples have been anywhere between 2% to 4% fuel content and even though we've been told that it's ok to be upwards of 7%, I see no reason to push that far. Oil changes are fast, easy, and relatively inexpensive if you do it yourself. If someone comes up with a filter system that removes fuel, I'd be all over it.